Always a Wasp

Author Topic: England team vs Australia  (Read 6774 times)

hopwood

Re: England team vs Australia
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2022, 06:37:52 PM »
Another article from The Times, this time on Lawes challenging the way things have been previously done by Jones/Farrell.

Let’s hope the penny is finally beginning to drop.
Let’s hope senior players like Lawes have spoken out and demanded a change of atmosphere in the camp.
A change of cliques and hierarchy.

Most on here have already condemned this Tour.
I’m withholding judgement for a game…or two.
If there is a change in direction in camp….then it’ll be seen out on the pitch over the next 3 games.

Times Article:

It is a role Lawes never actively sought but cherishes, and he believes Jones selecting him as captain reveals how the coach and the team have changed. Under Lawes’ recent leadership he and prop Ellis Genge have actively tried to make the England set-up a more relaxing and welcoming environment, and they have asked Jones and his coaches to pressurise them less. They believed in previous years under Jones that England were too tense, and he demanded too much of them.

But Lawes, who will start at blind-side flanker in the first Test, noted how that has altered since the last series in Australia in 2016, when England won 3-0.

“I certainly wouldn’t be skipper if he [Jones] was still the same coming into this tour,” Lawes said. “We’ve made a lot of changes and we think they’ll be for the better.

“We’re trying to find that balance between what we had then in 2016, which was massive but was hard to maintain, and what we had in 2019 when we got to the final of the World Cup. We want to find that sweet spot.

“Eddie wants to challenge himself. If I’m honest, I’m probably skipper because I think more differently to him and I’m willing to challenge him as a leader. I think that’s why he’s kept me on. I’ve made a lot of the lads comfortable around the team and that’s the team environment we want.

“I’m more than willing to essentially get a feel of what the team needs, and then the coaches will have a feeling for what the team needs, and then we’ll come to a compromise from there, instead of it all being one way in terms of we just do what the coaches say.

“The game’s developing and the leadership team and the coaching team with Eddie think that’s the best way to be. I wasn’t in the leadership team in 2016 or until 2020 really, although I had the experience. I just got the opportunity to step up. Eddie was changing his thinking; he changed his leadership team and I was in it. I took the opportunity.

“I’m an old geezer now and don’t mind saying what’s on my mind. I think he liked that approach.”

Lawes has had no problems with Farrell, who Jones revealed was “very unhappy” to lose the captaincy.

“I’ve been working very closely with Owen,” he added. “That first conversation was absolutely fine, as I knew it would be. If I’m honest, I expected him to get the role back and I was more than willing to because we work so well together.

“We’re almost polar opposite but in a good way. We find a pretty good balance and we’ll be keeping that; it’s just that I keep the armband this time and we’ll see what happens going forward.”

On the opening Test against Australia, Lawes said: “We’re confident going into the game tomorrow. We’ve got a great team out and had a very good training week. We’re not looking for anything less than a win.

“I don’t think you can underestimate how much it means for the Australia team to play here and win.

“We know it will be one hell of a contest.”

England’s record against Australia under Jones presently stands at 8-0, and lock Jonny Hill hopes the Wallabies have a mental burden to overcome as a result.

“‘For us, it’s about starting fast and it’s only going to be in their heads, not ours,” said Hill, who partners Maro Itoje at lock. “If we start fast, they might start thinking, ‘No 9 is on the way’.”

Australia captain Michael Hooper is desperate for his Wallabies to right the wrongs of their recent run against England.

“History has not been in favour for quite some time against the English for some years now and we are dead keen to rip in now,” the open-side flanker said.

“It is motivation to win and turn the ledger. We have got three games at home to do it while we play these fellows like this.

“It is a top rivalry. Having the Ashes at the back end of last year and the start of this year, the whole of the Australian population gets around it whether they are here or over in England. It is bragging rights, big for the fans and big for us. It is a big occasion for both teams, there is a bit of history and two teams rolling into a World Cup next year, that’s exciting.

“I don’t think there are too many guys in our team that were there in 2016 but if they weren’t I am sure they were watching that with a keen eye, wanting to be part of it. Now we get our opportunity six years later, we have just got to go out there and do it.

“We know in games of this sort of magnitude and the intensity of the games it is going to go back and forth a bit and we have just got to stay in the fight, throw punches and absorb and get back on the front foot and keep applying pressure on these guys.”

Australia v England
First Test
Saturday, kick-off: 10.55am
TV: Sky Sports Main Event

I hope some readers are grateful for the posting of these kind of articles.
They always take a bit of time to copy/paste/edit out the Getty photos etc.
If people aren’t bothered, then I won’t waste my time.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2022, 06:38:11 PM »
I agree with Chris Boyd.

But I do think Arundel is a bit special.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2022, 07:20:15 PM »
I’m with you backdoc - Boyd was spot on for me. And it would be interesting if Arundell had played say 10-15 Prem games and was tearing it up to see whether he’d be picked. I suspect not. I still can’t convince myself - and I may be 100% wrong - that Jones picks to either 1) prove the press wrong about him retaining people or 2) Picks “flyers” to frank his genius. I agree Arundell looks a fantastic prospect but he simply can’t be international class so soon into his career.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2022, 07:44:21 PM »
I like Lawes and I wish him every success in making England a better and more enjoyable team to watch.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2022, 08:40:56 PM »
I’m with you backdoc - Boyd was spot on for me. And it would be interesting if Arundell had played say 10-15 Prem games and was tearing it up to see whether he’d be picked. I suspect not. I still can’t convince myself - and I may be 100% wrong - that Jones picks to either 1) prove the press wrong about him retaining people or 2) Picks “flyers” to frank his genius. I agree Arundell looks a fantastic prospect but he simply can’t be international class so soon into his career.
+1

Other recent fast trackers like Smith had started over 50 Prem games (and 8 or so Euro Cup games) for Quins before playing vs USA and Canada. Arundel has all the tools - but has started two Prem games, ever. He might have a flier, but as for his future and progress - I'd wonder how this can be the best way.

It would be very interesting of he'd started 15 Prem games including vs the big names (EA's, Cheetahs, Glaws etc) and had shown good decision making and ability to defend and coordinate with the team.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2022, 10:22:04 AM »
Hopwood,
Well, I appreciate the time you take to post the newspaper articles. Thank you.

On the England "team" - or should that be a random selection of EQP players Jones has drawn out of a hat - I don't hold out much hope.

For me, the sooner the RFU throw Jones out, the better.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2022, 10:31:52 AM »
FOMO got the better of me and I signed up to Now TV sports for a month. As always they make it a continuing subscription and you have to spend 10 minutes figuring out how to cancel the next payment. At least it can be done online.

Let's hope I'm not regretting at 1pm.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2022, 11:13:01 AM »
I hope some readers are grateful for the posting of these kind of articles.
They always take a bit of time to copy/paste/edit out the Getty photos etc.
If people aren’t bothered, then I won’t waste my time.
[/quote]

Very grateful, thanks for posting.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2022, 11:19:34 AM »
Nice to see England have fully adopted the EA screaming theatrics. Good to see ref tell No 4 to shut up.
Let me tell you something cucumber

JWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2022, 11:20:00 AM »
Great read, thanks for posting. Will be interesting to see how the team dynamic affects performance on the pitch

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2022, 11:20:35 AM »
10 minutes in and Itoje is acting like a 10 year old, roaring in the lineout and the usual whooping for a minor turnover.
FEC? I don't think so.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2022, 11:48:31 AM »
And bloody Hill pulling hair?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2022, 11:50:24 AM »
Red?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2022, 11:57:08 AM »
Getting pinged on the ground in the ruck.....NZ ref...

hopwood

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2022, 12:01:55 PM »
Two rusty sides, looking to find continuity.
I never judge a game on a first half score…because you know the hard graft in the first forty will have had an effect on opposition mindset and fitness.

I’m curious as to what England look like in the 70th minute, having applied serious pressure in the first forty.

As I said previously, I think it’s a game of 3 thirds.
Parity and exploration in the first third.
All sorts going on in the first part of the 2nd third, as Australia try to claw their way back.

The ten minutes after half time will then setup the final third, where I expect England to start finding some pace, freedom, form and tries.
Well…I hope so.