Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rumours?  (Read 3837 times)

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Rumours?
« on: July 13, 2022, 02:22:48 PM »
Apologies, a slow day for me.
We had signed Carr and Fifita by the end of June last year. Blackett spoke on a podcast about how he locked in those deals whilst on holiday.

Do we think he has done any business this year?
Away from any Wade gossip, we are surely still a couple of backs light or players like Hartley, Simonds and some academy guys might be in for some more rugby than we’re used to compared to previous seasons.

Will have to look in more detail at the preseason training pictures to see if there’s any unexpected faces.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Rumours?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 02:47:31 PM »

I was expecting a link to a Fleetwood Mac album

For those youngsters out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrltGatijXc&ab_channel=UpperEchelonMusic

45 years old. F1 fans will recognise a part of it, at https://youtu.be/lrltGatijXc?t=1425

I am getting too old. First year at uni, bought it as soon as I got my grant (well spent money if you ask me).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 09:23:10 PM by NellyWellyWaspy »

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 04:11:39 PM »
Now that's an album with a real back story to it!

It's one of those albums that I have in (original) vinyl, CD and on my phone.

There's not a bad track on it

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 04:22:53 PM »
But sadly Peter Green was long gone by then.

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 04:42:11 PM »

Oh well!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 06:06:20 PM »
Not so much rumours - more Little Lies.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 06:20:10 PM »
That's a Mystery to Me
Let me tell you something cucumber

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2022, 08:20:10 PM »
That's a Mystery to Me

I think you're mixing up Rumours with Anthem by Toyah  :D

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 08:29:17 PM »
That's a Mystery to Me

I think you're mixing up Rumours with Anthem by Toyah  :D

Nope 1973 FM album - two before the first Buckingham Nicks venture. I liked the spread of albums from Future Games, Kiln House, Penguin & Mystery to Me. Heroes after that I didn't rate then Whoosh.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 08:48:06 PM »

Oh well!

Great lyrics:

I can't help about the shape I'm in
I can't sing, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to

Now, when I talked to God, I knew He'd understand
He said, "Stick by my side and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"
Ooh, well

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2022, 09:27:19 PM »
JonnyD your thread has been a bit de-railed!  :). I keep an eye out for rumours but have picked up absolutely nothing. My impression of the way Blackett operates is that he will wait a very long time to get the right signing rather than fill gaps for the sake of it. He’s on record as saying we won’t sign anyone if he doesn’t think they’ll trouble the 23. I think we saw similar with Koch’s signing. There are pros and cons for me. Obviously it’s great to get top notch targets. But equally we are very short, for me, at lock and centre and really need some extra bodies there. No idea who they might be.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2022, 01:38:22 AM »
JonnyD your thread has been a bit de-railed!  :). I keep an eye out for rumours but have picked up absolutely nothing. My impression of the way Blackett operates is that he will wait a very long time to get the right signing rather than fill gaps for the sake of it. He’s on record as saying we won’t sign anyone if he doesn’t think they’ll trouble the 23. I think we saw similar with Koch’s signing. There are pros and cons for me. Obviously it’s great to get top notch targets. But equally we are very short, for me, at lock and centre and really need some extra bodies there. No idea who they might be.

;D I should have suspected it would happen. I know there are no rumours about, just a slow day for me and had been reading lots of forums etc catching up on some preseason news around the clubs.
It led me to go and listen to some fleetwood Mac though - was The Chain, really the only song they ever recorded together as a group? Shame our backs do not come together like that on game day!

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2022, 08:29:54 AM »

;D I should have suspected it would happen. I know there are no rumours about, just a slow day for me and had been reading lots of forums etc catching up on some preseason news around the clubs.
It led me to go and listen to some fleetwood Mac though - was The Chain, really the only song they ever recorded together as a group? Shame our backs do not come together like that on game day!

There was a BBC4 series called Classic Albums that included an episode on Rumours. Shows that, although there were some "interesting tensions", it was recorded as a group (unlike the follow-up TUSK that was basically a solo effort by Linsey Buckingham). It has been repeated recently on SKy Arts and can be found on some of the streaming sites as well as some of the "Putlocker-like" sites.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2022, 08:31:11 AM »
As the band (which itself morphed over the years, with 'fans' arguing a lot as to which album and which combination was the best, but for my money Stevie Nicks embodied what was best about the band) lived all over the world, they tended to write bits of music and lyrics independently, and often recorded separately. Such was the case with this album, and the Chain as well. It is the only track where all members of the group are credited as having written parts. It is sort of disjointed, but nevertheless works exceptionally well as a finished piece, which says a lot about the sound engineers who worked on it. It was not, however, produced with the band together (AFAIK), instead they all did their bit apart and it was then assembled and mixed, potentially with not one of them present (although I would have to suspect Nicks would have been there - whilst she was a petite lady, she was far from a small personality).

And yes, sorry for the hijack, but it has been a slow summer of no news, and I expect that it will remain so.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2022, 07:45:23 AM »
Charlie Matthews training with Exeter according to TRP