Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Commonwealth 7s - Pitch  (Read 25168 times)

Egret

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Commonwealth 7s - Pitch
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2022, 12:40:00 PM »
Has anyone seen ccfc's response to Wasps pitch statement?

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2022, 12:42:29 PM »
is there one?

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2022, 01:31:52 PM »
Might as well chip in on this one as well now I've registered...

I can't see how Wasps have done anything wrong at all in this scenario. Yes, it isn't ideal, and the loss of revenue from the fan footfall in the stadium is probably at the wrong time, but:

* Wasps own the arena
* Wasps agreed the contract with the CG while CCFC were absent
* Wasps informed CCFC of the change of plan re: re-laying the pitch earlier in the year

Pretty sure all of those are inarguable. I don't know the ins-and-outs of the EFL scheduling, but I assume that CCFC will have petitioned them for a run of away games until post-Aug 14th (when the exclusivity for the CG expires). Why this would not have been granted is beyond me - there is precedent, given the Premier League did just this for Tottenham when they were moving home.

As I said, not ideal, but the spin being churned out by SISU and repeated ad nauseam by a small (but vocal) number of CCFC fans is purely designed to further their own agenda.

For the record, I'm a lifelong Sky Blues fan. SISU was, and remains, the worst thing to have happened to the club in my lifetime. Some fans seem to have short memories as far as they are concerned.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2022, 02:05:17 PM »
Might as well chip in on this one as well now I've registered...

I can't see how Wasps have done anything wrong at all in this scenario. Yes, it isn't ideal, and the loss of revenue from the fan footfall in the stadium is probably at the wrong time, but:

* Wasps own the arena
* Wasps agreed the contract with the CG while CCFC were absent
* Wasps informed CCFC of the change of plan re: re-laying the pitch earlier in the year

Pretty sure all of those are inarguable. I don't know the ins-and-outs of the EFL scheduling, but I assume that CCFC will have petitioned them for a run of away games until post-Aug 14th (when the exclusivity for the CG expires). Why this would not have been granted is beyond me - there is precedent, given the Premier League did just this for Tottenham when they were moving home.

As I said, not ideal, but the spin being churned out by SISU and repeated ad nauseam by a small (but vocal) number of CCFC fans is purely designed to further their own agenda.

For the record, I'm a lifelong Sky Blues fan. SISU was, and remains, the worst thing to have happened to the club in my lifetime. Some fans seem to have short memories as far as they are concerned.

You are probably not alone in your thinking!!!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2022, 04:26:38 PM »

Same. Fan of the Sky Blues for over 50 years. Wasps fan for over 30 years.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2022, 05:11:50 PM »
They will probably be up in arms in October as well, as OZ play Scotland in the RLWC on the 21st. at the CBSA.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2022, 10:12:12 AM »
I see on Twitter that CCFC have been forced to postpone the scheduled fixture at the CBSA on Tuesday against Wigan.

The independent agronomist has found the pitch to still be unplayable, apparently. Far cry from the old "jumpers for goalposts" days, eh?

Now, this is outside of the CG exclusivity, and some CCFC fans are (understandably) upset about the postponement, and there are more anti-Wasps cries.

My question to the CCFC fans is this: would you rather a temporary delay to home fixtures at the start of the season, folllowed by completion of the rest at home in Coventry, OR would you prefer to fulfil all scheduled fixtures at "home" in Northampton or Birmingham?

My suspicion is the former, but there is some serious myopia happening.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2022, 10:28:55 AM »
I assume that unlike gardens there is no restriction on the groundstaff watering the pitch.

Two weeks on from the 7s adequate repairs should have been possible. Do we ever learn what make it unusable by the fall over merchants?
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2022, 10:32:46 AM »
I believe businesses and commercial use are excluded and in any case Severn Trent don’t have a ban. I’ve no idea as to the criteria - we do need to get this right.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2022, 10:33:52 AM »
Hosepipe bans apply to domestic users, not commercial users.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2022, 10:42:48 AM »
Hosepipe bans apply to domestic users, not commercial users.

Well aware of that but locally there may have been restrictions.  Geez.
Let me tell you something cucumber

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2022, 11:14:58 AM »
Blimey, I was only trying to be helpful. You had assumed and Shugs had believed.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2022, 11:34:55 AM »
Tuesdays home match postponed due to unfavourable independent agronomists report. That justifies the switch to Burton. No idea when I’m likely to get to a home game., really fed up.

This could get expensive.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2022, 11:43:52 AM »
Understand your sentiments SBS. Must be frustrating at the start of the season but better a postponement than a move of venue. At some point in the future you’ll have a bonus of a midweek game when you thought you didn’t have one. The pitch will get sorted.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2022, 11:55:40 AM »
Understand your sentiments SBS. Must be frustrating at the start of the season but better a postponement than a move of venue. At some point in the future you’ll have a bonus of a midweek game when you thought you didn’t have one. The pitch will get sorted.

Trouble is, when? A wet Wednesday with reduced crowd. The team will be suffering with reduced activity now and overload later in the season. And no end in sight as yet.