Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Commonwealth 7s - Pitch  (Read 25167 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Commonwealth 7s - Pitch
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2022, 12:41:03 PM »
But you may also have players back fit. Swings and roundabouts.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2022, 01:10:47 PM »
What I find difficult to understand is that both Wasps and CCFC seemed to be aware that there could be problems with the pitch post CWG. Yet, there wasn't any apparent flexibility regarding early season Sky Blue home games. All I've seen is CCFC saying it was 'impossible' (in SV's statement, I think) to play the games away instead of home during this difficult time. Why?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2022, 01:15:12 PM »
Ross,

There’s comment in of the  threads saying EFL turned down a request for a series of away games at the start of the season.   

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2022, 01:26:41 PM »
Ross,

There’s comment in of the  threads saying EFL turned down a request for a series of away games at the start of the season.

Yes saw this too. Looks like EFL were the problem making such a change. Mind you probably suited the fall over merchants.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2022, 02:35:58 PM »
Ross,

Why did the EFL essentially trash their own product? Surely there must be precedence for this? Or are they just using it to show the 'importance' of primacy of tenure?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2022, 02:54:35 PM »
Ross,

Why did the EFL essentially trash their own product? Surely there must be precedence for this? Or are they just using it to show the 'importance' of primacy of tenure?

Wouldn't surprise me if it was you last point.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2022, 05:27:40 PM »

Wasn't it said that the commonwealth games had exclusive access to the arena until 14th August?
By my reckoning, that's tomorrow.

Assuming that is correct, then have Wasps actually had any access to address issues with the pitch properly yet?

It may be the pitch was in a complete state when we handed it over to the CW games, but it may also be that it was fine at that point and has gotten significantly worse since, with only minimal repair work being performed by the CW games staff.
If the Wasps ground staff don't get full access until tomorrow/Monday then surely our hands are still tied
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 05:30:30 PM by wasps »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2022, 05:39:45 PM »

Wasn't it said that the commonwealth games had exclusive access to the arena until 14th August?

Assuming that is correct, then have Wasps actually had any access to address issues with the pitch properly yet?

It may be the pitch was in a complete state when we handed it over to the CW games, but it may also be that it was fine at that point and has gotten significantly worse since, with only minimal repair work being performed by the CW games staff.
If the Wasps ground staff don't get full access until tomorrow/Monday then surely our hands are still tied

These are the things we don't know. 

The pitch looked OK before the 7s started but quickly deteriorated over the three days. It looked like it hadn't recovered enough from the summer concerts. However they, the CWG and the RL WC were all booked before the fall over merchants came back. The question about what was agreed is anyone's guess.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2022, 06:04:27 PM »

These are the things we don't know. 

The pitch looked OK before the 7s started but quickly deteriorated over the three days. It looked like it hadn't recovered enough from the summer concerts. However they, the CWG and the RL WC were all booked before the fall over merchants came back. The question about what was agreed is anyone's guess.

I'm not even too worried about what was agreed with ccfc at this point.

I'm more interested in understanding whether we're yet in a position to do anything about it given the agreements with the CW games.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2022, 09:30:12 PM »
Would love to know what is exactly wrong with the pitch that has made it unplayable . Can’t imagine that it’s any worse than any local amateur/ non league pitches , yet there are all starting to be played on in the desert that is Essex. Are games really that sterile that they have to be played on billiard table surfaces?

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2022, 10:00:45 PM »

That's not a debate I wish to get into.... Especially as we have pizza gate in our history

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2022, 10:37:13 PM »
Would love to know what is exactly wrong with the pitch that has made it unplayable . Can’t imagine that it’s any worse than any local amateur/ non league pitches , yet there are all starting to be played on in the desert that is Essex. Are games really that sterile that they have to be played on billiard table surfaces?
The independent agronomist have produced a report which apparently says a new pitch need to be installed. Sounds like it is worse than a council pitch, no root growth. Football club have offered to help with cash flow to achieve that, but wasps not interested. Another indicator they are broke?

Dispute resolution process had been triggered as wasps have a responsibility to provide an appropriate surface. Cost of a “lay and play” pitch is around £5000,000.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2022, 11:50:19 PM »
This is a nightmare for Wasps but I don’t see a new pitch being the quick fix that many are suggesting.

Any new pitch will take time to ‘bed in’ and would not survive the damage caused by our forwards at scrum time when the rugby season starts next month.

I remember Wasps’s first game at the Ricoh against London Irish in 2014 when ground staff ran on the pitch at regular intervals to re-roll the turf that had been churned up and stamp it back down.

The roots of the existing pitch need time to ‘bed in’.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 11:59:39 PM by Steve from Cov »

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2022, 12:40:13 AM »
The independent agronomist have produced a report which apparently says a new pitch need to be installed. Sounds like it is worse than a council pitch, no root growth. Football club have offered to help with cash flow to achieve that, but wasps not interested. Another indicator they are broke?

Dispute resolution process had been triggered as wasps have a responsibility to provide an appropriate surface. Cost of a “lay and play” pitch is around £5000,000.

Is the report public? Is the offer of jelp public? Because the only thing that we've seen to date is legal threats.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2022, 08:15:56 AM »

1. Just how "independant" is an agronomist hired by CCFC & EFL? What question was the agronomist asked because if it was "is this pitch going to be premiership football standard within a week?" then we all know the answer is no. If it was "could this pitch recover to division 2 standard given 3 weeks and assuming the current heatwave ends?" then maybe they'd get a different answer

2. CCFC have offered to contribute to the cost of relaying the pitch. How much? Have they offered to fully fund and absorb the £500k cost or just a couple of quid on temporary loan which they will deduct from rent so they can look good in media statements?

3. How do you write a contract about pitch quality that is acceptable to both sides, is measurable, allows for unprecedented heatwaves, and recognises that it is almost impossible to have a top football surface on a multi use pitch?

It was inevitable that CCFC would complain about the pitch. Given their track record it was also inevitable they'd start talking about legal challenges. I admit I'm surprised it's happened quite so severely and quickly!

In my dreams the contract should have said "wasps will provide a rugby pitch. CCFC may do whatever they like to upgrade and maintain it to a higher standard but fully at CCFC cost including any costs of repairing it after Wasps have damaged it again and again"