Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Commonwealth 7s - Pitch  (Read 25185 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Commonwealth 7s - Pitch
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2022, 11:50:19 PM »
Crikey - how many times can the same points be made. SBSam at least you’ve been honest about your allegiances. CODY - come on now, you’ve not really been fooling anyone, we’re all enjoying the debate but just be transparent. You can still make your points as a City fan. We should all be on the same side anyway. CCFC’s only chance of playing at the CBS is inextricably linked to Wasps being successful.

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #181 on: August 15, 2022, 11:55:35 PM »
Crikey - how many times can the same points be made. SBSam at least you’ve been honest about your allegiances. CODY - come on now, you’ve not really been fooling anyone, we’re all enjoying the debate but just be transparent. You can still make your points as a City fan. We should all be on the same side anyway. CCFC’s only chance of playing at the CBS is inextricably linked to Wasps being successful.

Et tu, Brute?

Shugs, you seem like a good guy, so please know that I say this with no malice whatsoever - I'M NOT A FOOTBALL FAN.

Feel free to send me a PM if you like, and I'll attempt to prove my Wasps bona fides! Not sure how, but I'm happy to try.

I just felt that bigad82's last post was unseemly and said as much, that's all.

As for the rest of my involvement in the recent discussions, I'll readily admit to being disillusioned with Wasps at the present time; however, that doesn't make me any less of a fan, and it certainly doesn't make me a CCFC devotee!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2022, 12:10:48 AM »
You don’t have to prove anything to me CODY and I’d certainly never be so crass as to ask for anyone’s “credentials” - you post what you want to post, a lot of it is really interesting and gives us Wasps fans something to consider.

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2022, 12:22:07 AM »
That's fine, Shugs - no pressure, and no rancour from my side either.

The offer is still there, though, so feel free to take me up on it if you change your mind!

If anyone else wants to do so, that's fine too.

Cheers all.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2022, 04:11:59 AM »
You won’t get £5m a year in rent from CCFC or anybody, way way beyond market rate for an arena in in poor condition
Sending CCFC packing would be a PR disaster.
Sending CCFC packing could have some, almost certainly negative, influence on bondholders view of Wasps as an investment

I agree Wasps won't get £5M a year in rent. My point is that CCFC expectations / demands might mean £5M is the right price hence my hope CCFC leave before Wasps end up spending more keeping CCFC happy than the income they receive.

The current situation is a PR disaster and it will continue to be a festering sore for the next 10 years. Make a clean break.

Sending CCFC packing will have a negative view with bondholders? Hard to imagine it getting worse than it is.

When you're at rock bottom it's time to change strategy.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2022, 07:02:17 AM »

Et tu, Brute?

Shugs, you seem like a good guy, so please know that I say this with no malice whatsoever - I'M NOT A FOOTBALL FAN.

Feel free to send me a PM if you like, and I'll attempt to prove my Wasps bona fides! Not sure how, but I'm happy to try.

As for the rest of my involvement in the recent discussions, I'll readily admit to being disillusioned with Wasps at the present time; however, that doesn't make me any less of a fan, and it certainly doesn't make me a CCFC devotee!
In what way was it unseemly? your just making stuff up now.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2022, 08:19:33 AM »
You won’t get £5m a year in rent from CCFC or anybody, way way beyond market rate for an arena in in poor condition
Sending CCFC packing would be a PR disaster.
Sending CCFC packing could have some, almost certainly negative, influence on bondholders view of Wasps as an investment

I agree Wasps won't get £5M a year in rent. My point is that CCFC expectations / demands might mean £5M is the right price hence my hope CCFC leave before Wasps end up spending more keeping CCFC happy than the income they receive.

The current situation is a PR disaster and it will continue to be a festering sore for the next 10 years. Make a clean break.

Sending CCFC packing will have a negative view with bondholders? Hard to imagine it getting worse than it is.

When you're at rock bottom it's time to change strategy.

To put some context on stadium rentals. In 2017, Swansea agree a 37 year deal at the Liberty Stadium which is shared with Ospreys RFC. The pitch there seems never to have been a problem and the venue has been used for concerts.

At the other end of the scale, Premier League West Ham pay £2.5 m to play at the London Stadium. London property prices, to buy or rent, are always going to be significantly higher than in Coventry.

You are right that Wasps strategy needs to change because the move here hasn’t worked as planned. Wasps are far from the richest rugby club in Europe and I wonder whether there is regret at making that hubris public.

In an ideal world, the two clubs could coexist in harmony and perhaps even share some back office activities to reduce cost. I personally think that might be easier if the stadium was owned by an impartial third party.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2022, 08:45:09 AM »
£12.2 million from the WMCA is sure going to be helpful.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2022, 09:03:22 AM »
£12.2 million from the WMCA is sure going to be helpful.

Not sure it will be. It’s a long standing loan commitment to build the new hotel. Approved before current financial issues.

Nothing drawn as yet.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 09:05:37 AM by SBSam »

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2022, 09:08:57 AM »

It just seemed needlessly aggressive to me, and a contravention of VV's "Please be nice... personal attacks won't be tolerated" rule; however, I may have misinterpreted it to some extent, and I'll hold my hand up and admit to being wrong if so.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2022, 09:20:46 AM »

Et tu, Brute?

Any post suggesting CODY is Grendel is a bit close to the knuckle  :)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2022, 11:08:05 AM »
I guess my point is it doesn’t matter.

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #192 on: August 16, 2022, 11:16:11 AM »
In the grand scheme of things, Shugs, I agree 100% - however, I'll admit that it bums me out a bit to keep being accused of something I'm not.

You know something ironic? One of the things I strongly dislike about football (no offence, SBSam!) is how tribal it tends to be, with all the 'us vs. them' stuff and the bile that often entails; rugby stole me away from football a looooonnnnnggggg time ago, in large part due to the camaraderie it engenders among fans of all clubs and nations. Now a bunch of fellow Wasps fans think I'm a football enthusiast :D

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 16, 2022, 11:40:35 AM »

SBSam...
I wouldn't use West ham's rental of the London stadium as a comparison for anything.

We're regularly told that that was the deal of the century and should have been multiple times more than it was

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 16, 2022, 11:43:16 AM »
Fair enough CODY - I guess we get protective of our club. Keep on posting!