Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Commonwealth 7s - Pitch  (Read 25168 times)

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Commonwealth 7s - Pitch
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2022, 12:37:02 PM »

SBSam...
I wouldn't use West ham's rental of the London stadium as a comparison for anything.

We're regularly told that that was the deal of the century and should have been multiple times more than it was

Apples and pears. The London stadium cost £701 m. Let’s say the Ricoh (as was) cost a net £100 m. That would put a pro rata to build cost at around £350k.

I’ll stick with the Swansea comparison then, £300k for a groundshare

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 16, 2022, 12:45:49 PM »

SBSam...
I wouldn't use West ham's rental of the London stadium as a comparison for anything.

We're regularly told that that was the deal of the century and should have been multiple times more than it was

Apples and pears. The London stadium cost £701 m. Let’s say the Ricoh (as was) cost a net £100 m. That would put a pro rata to build cost at around £350k.

I’ll stick with the Swansea comparison then, £300k for a groundshare
Liberty stadium cost £27 million to build so times your figure by at least 3.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2022, 12:50:25 PM »
In the grand scheme of things, Shugs, I agree 100% - however, I'll admit that it bums me out a bit to keep being accused of something I'm not.

You know something ironic? One of the things I strongly dislike about football (no offence, SBSam!) is how tribal it tends to be, with all the 'us vs. them' stuff and the bile that often entails; rugby stole me away from football a looooonnnnnggggg time ago, in large part due to the camaraderie it engenders among fans of all clubs and nations. Now a bunch of fellow Wasps fans think I'm a football enthusiast :D
Unfortunately for you and SBsam you have only come on to post about one thing.
Suspicion is bound to be raised we are human after all.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 16, 2022, 12:56:16 PM »
The Dam Health cost £5.7m. Excellent stadium fantastic atmosphere and a good plastic pitch.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 16, 2022, 01:10:19 PM »
The Dam Health cost £5.7m. Excellent stadium fantastic atmosphere and a good plastic pitch.

I wondered about the feasibility of an augmented / hybrid pitch, but the EFL regs do state that the football pitch has to be grass.

Non-starter.

Agosto blond snowpack

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 16, 2022, 01:23:55 PM »
£12.2 million from the WMCA is sure going to be helpful.

That is a hotel proposal with the land being sold cheaply by CCC to I assume Moonstone Holdings as part of the commitment made by Wasps owner to redevelop the land in the North of the City

It has zero to do with wasps holdings and surprise surprise has not even commenced planning stage
Please don't lie on the grass, unless accompanied by a fellow,
(May I be so bold as to suggest Othello)
Punting on the Cam is jolly fun they say
Beagling on the downs Oh please come they say
Rugger is the tops a game for men they say

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 16, 2022, 01:32:37 PM »

That is a hotel proposal with the land being sold cheaply by CCC to I assume Moonstone Holdings as part of the commitment made by Wasps owner to redevelop the land in the North of the City

It has zero to do with wasps holdings and surprise surprise has not even commenced planning stage
Wasps go back to London.Do i win a prize?

Agosto blond snowpack

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2022, 01:35:56 PM »
You won’t get £5m a year in rent from CCFC or anybody, way way beyond market rate for an arena in in poor condition
Sending CCFC packing would be a PR disaster.
Sending CCFC packing could have some, almost certainly negative, influence on bondholders view of Wasps as an investment

I agree Wasps won't get £5M a year in rent. My point is that CCFC expectations / demands might mean £5M is the right price hence my hope CCFC leave before Wasps end up spending more keeping CCFC happy than the income they receive.

The current situation is a PR disaster and it will continue to be a festering sore for the next 10 years. Make a clean break.

Sending CCFC packing will have a negative view with bondholders? Hard to imagine it getting worse than it is.

When you're at rock bottom it's time to change strategy.

Utterly bizarre

The WMLA grant application will focus on a business plan amongst other things. In that will be the income received from the football club which over the course of 4 years will be over £4m. It is obvious anyway if the plan includes other concerts and prime sporting events it needs to include dilapidation expenditure. One would hope that is what the application is for.

I mean, I am sure bondholders would be very encouraged by a plan to throw out the most supported sports club in the Region as a means of planned growth so they can recover their £35 million!

Agosto blond snowpack

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2022, 01:39:26 PM »

Wasps go back to London.Do i win a prize?

;)

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2022, 01:53:18 PM »
Unfortunately for you and SBsam you have only come on to post about one thing.
Suspicion is bound to be raised we are human after all.

You know, I actually agree with this... up to a point. (I even said last week that with emotions running high due to the current situation, I understand why the regulars would have their guards up and be suspicious of newcomers.)

That said, I created this account last December, well before the bond default in May caused me to become more active. If I were just an SBT poster here on a wind-up, I would've had to plan ahead to quite a significant extent :)

Yes, I've largely come to talk about "one thing", but that's just because it's bothering me - instead of looking forward to the start of the new season, I find myself fretting about the Club's future.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2022, 01:54:25 PM »

I wondered about the feasibility of an augmented / hybrid pitch, but the EFL regs do state that the football pitch has to be grass.

Non-starter.

I find this stance somewhat odd, given eight of the 16 stadia due to host matches in the 2026 World Cup have fully artificial surfaces. One even  switched from grass to artificial for the 2015 Women's Football World Cup.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 16, 2022, 01:57:34 PM »

Non-starter.

I find this stance somewhat odd, given eight of the 16 stadia due to host matches in the 2026 World Cup have fully artificial surfaces. One even  switched from grass to artificial for the 2015 Women's Football World Cup.

Well that's interesting! I wasn't aware of that!

The EFL regs I cited are here: https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/efl-regulations/appendix-1-membership-criteria-regulation-8/#maincontent and the pitch surface one(s) are section 27 (27.1 being the one that states grass is required).

EFL just behind the times?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 02:08:27 PM by BlackAndGoldSunglasses »

MarleyWasp

« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2022, 02:09:13 PM »
As a side note, the stadium that switched it's surface for the 2015 Women's Football World Cup is BC Place in Vancouver. It hosted a sevens tournament last September one weekend with 44 matches played over two days. The following weekend it hosted a CFL game and a Major League Soccer match.

Agosto blond snowpack

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 16, 2022, 02:12:39 PM »

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 16, 2022, 02:15:47 PM »
On the playing surface question, the FA explicitly allow artificial and hybrid surfaces:

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-1---the-field-of-play

In fact, that seems to be exactly the same as the law in the FIFA regs too:

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/3f3e15cc1ab8977b/original/datdz0pms85gbnqy4j3k-pdf.pdf

So... EFL clearly are behind the times.