Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Commonwealth 7s - Pitch  (Read 25168 times)

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Commonwealth 7s - Pitch
« Reply #225 on: August 16, 2022, 04:01:37 PM »
Shugs - genuine question. Do potential financiers actually have any impact on operations of a business in which they have no function (can’t quite think of the right word)? And if they did, wouldn’t they also have to factor in the damage that the publicity is doing to the Wasps brand, the potential compensation costs for inaction by Wasps, the potential longer term financial impact of losing a tenant and sponsorship?

Agosto blond snowpack

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 16, 2022, 04:09:50 PM »
Shugs - genuine question. Do potential financiers actually have any impact on operations of a business in which they have no function (can’t quite think of the right word)? And if they did, wouldn’t they also have to factor in the damage that the publicity is doing to the Wasps brand, the potential compensation costs for inaction by Wasps, the potential longer term financial impact of losing a tenant and sponsorship?

To be fair Shugs thinks a couple of Westlife reuinion weekends will solve all Wasps financial woes.
Please don't lie on the grass, unless accompanied by a fellow,
(May I be so bold as to suggest Othello)
Punting on the Cam is jolly fun they say
Beagling on the downs Oh please come they say
Rugger is the tops a game for men they say

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 16, 2022, 04:10:53 PM »
Not in that they decide day to day operational business. But the re-financing loan will certainly have covenants attached that have to be met otherwise the loans could be called in. Typically they’ll be around cash flow/liquidity/EBITDA etc etc. They will have been derived from a business plan that I imagine Wasps have had to present. I know no loan is in place yet but it’s a poor look if, for instance, you’ve presented a cash flow forecast and then driven a coach and horses through it before you’ve started because you’ve bought a new pitch. It’s a fair point that within the same statement income from games involving CCFC will also be included. I suspect that balancing act is currently playing out.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 16, 2022, 04:18:47 PM »

To be fair Shugs thinks a couple of Westlife reuinion weekends will solve all Wasps financial woes.
Don’t believe all you read on SBT agosto. But some concerts would “raise us up. At the minute “we’re flying without wings”.

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #229 on: August 16, 2022, 04:33:36 PM »
It's a worry for both sets of fans.Its a shame because Coventry is a sports mad city.

I know  8)

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 16, 2022, 04:33:59 PM »
I guess things can only get better.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 17, 2022, 07:37:47 AM »
Not in that they decide day to day operational business. But the re-financing loan will certainly have covenants attached that have to be met otherwise the loans could be called in. Typically they’ll be around cash flow/liquidity/EBITDA etc etc. They will have been derived from a business plan that I imagine Wasps have had to present. I know no loan is in place yet but it’s a poor look if, for instance, you’ve presented a cash flow forecast and then driven a coach and horses through it before you’ve started because you’ve bought a new pitch. It’s a fair point that within the same statement income from games involving CCFC will also be included. I suspect that balancing act is currently playing out.
I get that potential financiers will want to see a plan of how Wasps are going to turn round multi million pound annual losses, but surely such a plan would need to include some contingency for the unexpected. I would imagine any plan would be stress / sensitivity tested in any case so that lenders could have a feel for the impact of potential less than ideal scenarios.
Sometimes the simplest explanations are the most likely, Wasps simply didn’t have the cash and couldn’t afford it - which actually summarises the technical details you have detailed.

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 17, 2022, 08:08:22 AM »
Coventry City and Wasps reach breakthrough in CBS Arena talks.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-city-wasps-stadium-pitch-24775651

According to Coventry Telegraph and Andy Street sorted until "at least the end of the season" - no real details though?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 17, 2022, 05:29:37 PM »

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 17, 2022, 05:36:55 PM »
Possibly similar to what they are doing at Twickenham at the moment?

https://twitter.com/jimRFU/status/1559857242630938624?t=ynXQgnKpRlDpmEfIw-x-uw&s=19

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 17, 2022, 05:47:17 PM »
All we need now then is 35 million.

hopwood

« Reply #236 on: August 17, 2022, 06:09:30 PM »
It sounds like whatever monies we made from the Commonwealth Games are going to have to be invested back into the state of the pitch and winning back hearts and minds.

I wonder whether it was all worth it.

At least they now have a solid plan in place...which will hopefully work as a long term solution.
Although, maybe maintenance costs will go up.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 17, 2022, 06:20:42 PM »
It sounds like whatever monies we made from the Commonwealth Games are going to have to be invested back into the state of the pitch and winning back hearts and minds.

At least they now have a solid plan in place...which will hopefully work as a long term solution.
Although, maybe maintenance costs will go up.

I think they will have to schedule a pitch replacement next year.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 17, 2022, 06:33:07 PM »

I expect the Coventry Building Society would have thought so with all the TV coverage.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 17, 2022, 06:37:12 PM »

I expect the Coventry Building Society would have thought so with all the TV coverage.

The only problem with that is that the arena had to be “de-branded” and was supposed to be referred to a the Coventry Arena throughout. The more recent tv coverage of the CBS arena hasn’t been all that great.