Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Commonwealth 7s - Pitch  (Read 25163 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Commonwealth 7s - Pitch
« Reply #240 on: August 17, 2022, 07:18:32 PM »
A good solution. We can now get all of our income streams on line.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 18, 2022, 09:16:20 AM »
CCFC paying the £180,000 cost of repair upfront, to be repayed by Wasps

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 18, 2022, 10:37:34 AM »

Interesting.  Do you have any idea what the rent paid is?

(I genuinely have no idea but would be interested to learn a likely ballpark/figure - have seen wildly different figures from £100k per season on the ADVFN chat related to our Bond and somewhere around £1.2m a year although can't recall where, perhaps SBT but not 100% sure)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 18, 2022, 11:53:59 AM »
Is that reliable info? I’ve only seen it speculated. I do hope Wasps have built a break clause into the contract as I can see stipulations being thrown around ad infinitum.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 18, 2022, 12:12:49 PM »

Interesting.  Do you have any idea what the rent paid is?

(I genuinely have no idea but would be interested to learn a likely ballpark/figure - have seen wildly different figures from £100k per season on the ADVFN chat related to our Bond and somewhere around £1.2m a year although can't recall where, perhaps SBT but not 100% sure)

I don’t know I’m afraid. I would think £1.2 million far too high and £100k far to low.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 18, 2022, 12:20:25 PM »
Is that reliable info? I’ve only seen it speculated. I do hope Wasps have built a break clause into the contract as I can see stipulations being thrown around ad infinitum.

I think it highly likely that CCFC are paying it upfront - Wasps piggy bank is empty.
I think it highly likely that Wasps will have to repay in one way or another- it is their pitch, they will be playing on it and they will have some contractual obligation to maintain it.
As to the sums involved - doesn’t seem that ridiculous to me.

If there is a break clause, can you imagine the impact on the arena valuation and naming rights? Let alone the political uproar which would ensue. Wasps got it wrong this time.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 18, 2022, 12:44:44 PM »
I think it highly likely that CCFC are paying it upfront - Wasps piggy bank is empty.
I think it highly likely that Wasps will have to repay in one way or another- it is their pitch, they will be playing on it and they will have some contractual obligation to maintain it.
As to the sums involved - doesn’t seem that ridiculous to me.

So you don't know then?

You may be right, but you stated it like you knew it for a fact. Now you say you think its highly likely?

If you are correct, then yes, Wasps should end up paying for it. TBH, £180k isn't a lot of money IMO when it comes to pitch work.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 18, 2022, 01:27:41 PM »
In summary then we don’t know what the rent is. We don’t know how much the pitch repair is costing. We don’t know who’s paying for it and when. We don’t know “Wasps piggy bank is empty”. Apart from that - solid fact.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 18, 2022, 01:33:09 PM »
If there is a break clause, can you imagine the impact on the arena valuation and naming rights? Let alone the political uproar which would ensue. Wasps got it wrong this time.

What political uproar?

What do CCFC have 13,000 STH. Let's say there are 26,000 people who care about CCFC. That's about 9% of the city. If Wasps had a break clause and chose to use it there would be some noise from 26k people and I'm sure some politicians would make noise.  Then what?

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 18, 2022, 01:43:46 PM »
Coventry has a population of 400,000 residents. I think the proportion of that population who have some sort of interest in the football club is higher than you suggest.

How many season ticket holders do Wasps have? Of that number, how many live in the city?

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 18, 2022, 01:45:21 PM »
In summary then we don’t know what the rent is. We don’t know how much the pitch repair is costing. We don’t know who’s paying for it and when. We don’t know “Wasps piggy bank is empty”. Apart from that - solid fact.
We don’t know HSBC is still involved in the financing or how the bondholders are going to be satisfied that their investment is safe either.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 18, 2022, 01:56:15 PM »
By break clause I meant a chance to look at the rent again. I wouldn’t oversell yourself in terms of “political uproar”. You’ve left the city twice and got the odd mention on regional news and some radio stations. You don’t have a large fan base. 13,000 is about right - not a lot for a one city club. 50,000 would go to Wembley etc once they’ve put their Man U etc shirts away. Robins and Viveash has worked miracles to get you to the Championship but in a business sense CCFC hold none of the aces.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 18, 2022, 02:05:20 PM »
Wow.
I wouldn't be putting down ccfc or their fans in quite such a way.

Emotions are running high and there's a lot at stake.

But I don't think we should be belittling the club or the size of their fan base.

From the political perspective that Sam would be referring to, it's not just the fans that go to games, it would essentially be anyone with some kind of connection with the club, that would include armchair fans, and neutrals whose families may have previously been fans of the club.
I wouldn't be surprised if complete neutrals with minimal interest in either club would also fall on the side of ccfc when push came to shove just due to their historical relationship with the city.

I genuinely think there'd be far more people than you're accounting for who would view Wasps in a bad light if we forced ccfc out.
That being said, as is human nature, most of those would potentially get over it pretty quickly..... And leave us with the vocal bunch that will never be happy with Wasps presence

Agosto blond snowpack

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 18, 2022, 02:13:42 PM »
By break clause I meant a chance to look at the rent again. I wouldn’t oversell yourself in terms of “political uproar”. You’ve left the city twice and got the odd mention on regional news and some radio stations. You don’t have a large fan base. 13,000 is about right - not a lot for a one city club. 50,000 would go to Wembley etc once they’ve put their Man U etc shirts away. Robins and Viveash has worked miracles to get you to the Championship but in a business sense CCFC hold none of the aces.

This is pretty throw stones stuff. The club will average 20,000 this season and is in the top 20 average attendances since the war with an overall average similar to similar sized clubs.

I mean seriously how many people in Coventry would care if Wasps went under do you think?
Please don't lie on the grass, unless accompanied by a fellow,
(May I be so bold as to suggest Othello)
Punting on the Cam is jolly fun they say
Beagling on the downs Oh please come they say
Rugger is the tops a game for men they say

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 18, 2022, 02:14:20 PM »
I wasn’t intending to put them down. That’s just the reality of it. I feel sorry for their fans. Between financial and general disastrous management they’ve been hawked around the country, put into administration and now they are tenants in their own city. None of it the fans fault. But to declare there would be “political uproar” if they moved from the CBS (which wasn’t my point anyway) is just wrong.