Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Commonwealth 7s - Pitch  (Read 25168 times)

Agosto blond snowpack

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Commonwealth 7s - Pitch
« Reply #255 on: August 18, 2022, 02:17:32 PM »
Looks like Wasps are renting the training ground - no ownership at all. Wonder who paid to build it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-62582325
Please don't lie on the grass, unless accompanied by a fellow,
(May I be so bold as to suggest Othello)
Punting on the Cam is jolly fun they say
Beagling on the downs Oh please come they say
Rugger is the tops a game for men they say

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 18, 2022, 02:21:50 PM »
We don’t know HSBC is still involved in the financing or how the bondholders are going to be satisfied that their investment is safe either.

Absolutely, but I dont think anyone on here is stating that the Bond is all sorted as a fact, just that they think it will be.
I won't be commenting on the bond either way till something is announced afficially.

Personally I think both sides on this need to calm down & grow up a bit. IMO of course

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 18, 2022, 02:22:19 PM »
By break clause I meant a chance to look at the rent again. I wouldn’t oversell yourself in terms of “political uproar”. You’ve left the city twice and got the odd mention on regional news and some radio stations. You don’t have a large fan base. 13,000 is about right - not a lot for a one city club. 50,000 would go to Wembley etc once they’ve put their Man U etc shirts away. Robins and Viveash has worked miracles to get you to the Championship but in a business sense CCFC hold none of the aces.

This is pretty throw stones stuff. The club will average 20,000 this season and is in the top 20 average attendances since the war with an overall average similar to similar sized clubs.

I mean seriously how many people in Coventry would care if Wasps went under do you think?
Not many - I’ve never pretended so. Maybe more from the surrounding areas. I’m not throwing stones - that is the reality. They may average 20,000. Some of those will be away fans. Some walk up on the day. There is a hard core of about 10-13,000 fans. That has to be the case as averages were nowhere near that in L1 or L2. It’s not and never has been a football hotbed. Nothing against the fans and not intending to diminish their personal passion for the club but it’s not a club that would cause political uproar.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 18, 2022, 02:24:53 PM »
And in the interests of balance and reality nor are Wasps.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 18, 2022, 02:26:27 PM »
Looks like Wasps are renting the training ground - no ownership at all

Except that it was owned by two Wasps directors, now its owned by one. Not sure how that equates to renting it...

"The training ground was developed in a 50:50 partnership, and, now that the complex is completed, one of those partners, who is a director of Wasps, has taken sole ownership under a new company name designed to build on the EPIC brand."

Agosto blond snowpack

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 18, 2022, 02:30:23 PM »
By break clause I meant a chance to look at the rent again. I wouldn’t oversell yourself in terms of “political uproar”. You’ve left the city twice and got the odd mention on regional news and some radio stations. You don’t have a large fan base. 13,000 is about right - not a lot for a one city club. 50,000 would go to Wembley etc once they’ve put their Man U etc shirts away. Robins and Viveash has worked miracles to get you to the Championship but in a business sense CCFC hold none of the aces.

This is pretty throw stones stuff. The club will average 20,000 this season and is in the top 20 average attendances since the war with an overall average similar to similar sized clubs.

I mean seriously how many people in Coventry would care if Wasps went under do you think?
Not many - I’ve never pretended so. Maybe more from the surrounding areas. I’m not throwing stones - that is the reality. They may average 20,000. Some of those will be away fans. Some walk up on the day. There is a hard core of about 10-13,000 fans. That has to be the case as averages were nowhere near that in L1 or L2. It’s not and never has been a football hotbed. Nothing against the fans and not intending to diminish their personal passion for the club but it’s not a club that would cause political uproar.

But its factual nonsense. Even in L1 in 2015 the average was 13,000 and it was the third best supported club in the league.

In The Championship following the H Road the lowest average last time was 15,000 - it was up to 22,000 at one point. Hardly any club averages 13,000 in L2. At Championship level it would easily be 20,000 plus every week and in the Premier League sold out virtually every game.

The atmosphere already in the City believe me is hostile. I do not and will not condone violence but I did witness someone threatened last week in a local shop of all places who had a Wasps shirt on and this type of action would cause mayhem. Wasps need to become more inclusive to CCFC not less

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 18, 2022, 02:50:56 PM »
Wasps need to become more inclusive to CCFC not less

What would you suggest Wasps should be doing that they currently aren't to be more inclusive to CCFC?

Agosto blond snowpack

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 18, 2022, 02:52:52 PM »

What would you suggest Wasps should be doing that they currently aren't to be more inclusive to CCFC?

Get the pitch ready for the start of the season would have been a help

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 18, 2022, 02:58:47 PM »
But it’s not 20,000 Coventry fans every week in the Championship. Anyway, agree to disagree. The original point was that I hope break clauses have been included by Wasps in order that rent etc can be looked at. SBSam then set off down the rabbit hole of being turfed out. Frankly, I’d be amazed if anything but a minuscule % of CCFC fans would go as far as threatening someone in a Wasps shirt - that’s disgusting if it happens and cannot be condoned.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 18, 2022, 02:59:36 PM »
I'll get my spade.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 18, 2022, 03:01:54 PM »

Perception is an interesting thing. For me Wasps have bent over backwards for CCFC after being treated appallingly by them.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 18, 2022, 03:11:28 PM »

From what has been said, the original understanding (When CCFC moved back in) was that it would be ready a week after the contract ended for the Commonwealth Games (14th August). 

What else would you suggest could be done that isn't currently to be more inclusive?

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 18, 2022, 03:11:42 PM »

Perception is an interesting thing. For me Wasps have bent over backwards for CCFC after being treated appallingly by them.
100% agree.

Agosto blond snowpack

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 18, 2022, 03:26:14 PM »
But it’s not 20,000 Coventry fans every week in the Championship. Anyway, agree to disagree. The original point was that I hope break clauses have been included by Wasps in order that rent etc can be looked at. SBSam then set off down the rabbit hole of being turfed out. Frankly, I’d be amazed if anything but a minuscule % of CCFC fans would go as far as threatening someone in a Wasps shirt - that’s disgusting if it happens and cannot be condoned.

There is a break clause in the football clubs favour at seven years - why should the rent be looked at? It has been agreed for the term. I believe (not sure) there are different pay structures if promotion or relegation should occur.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 18, 2022, 04:03:16 PM »