Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps fans claim they're 'left in dark' and ask club for answers  (Read 13172 times)

hopwood

Re: Wasps fans claim they're 'left in dark' and ask club for answers
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2022, 03:56:43 PM »
Sorry about this, from SBT

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/how-wasps-lost-the-battle-for-coventrys-hearts-and-minds/

That’s uncomfortable reading, but probably because so much of it is true.
It was a big gamble to locate to Coventry.
And he’s right in the fact that they underestimated how difficult it would be to bring in a new following.
He’s right when he points out that we’ve never really captured the hearts of the wider area.

Such a huge project, that now seems quite fragile.
All I want to do is watch my team play good rugby, but it’s never as easy as that.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2022, 04:23:54 PM »
Certainly true in many ways.
Also shows the way forward to an extent. Nobody makes money from the sport, so either the sport changes to a model that enables the clubs to generate cash, the RFU start funding the clubs themselves, the sport cuts its cloth according to its means, or we find the same sort of people willing to sink in cash as they do at Sarries et al. We could be a good prospect.
We need good relationships with Cov RFC, that is essential.
The CCFC are going to do their thing. If it ends up in more litigation, then we won't win the info war with the casuals as described on the article. For some CCFC fans, it is like arguing with 5G causes Covid types, nothing will change their mind as to their entitlement to the stadium they bizzarely dud not end up owning.
Others might be more circumspect, but they won't turn up. We need to offer a fun family day out, and attract all those who don't go to CCFC. There will be some CCFC sports fans who might enjoy us, but only with a better product.

On the playing front, and I know I sound like a broken record, but nobody expects fans to pay for an unexciting product. Watching weekly ten to fifteen  phases of bosh on their line whilst our backs hang around like  wet farts on a Christmas tree for half the game is not going to bring back the crowds. Losing 36-35, as long as next week we win, will. No pound shop Tigers, no aerial tennis fests. Those things are part of a rounded game plan, they are not a game plan in themselves that will work for us. There are two points available weekly for tries and losing bonus. You can literally get 48 points without winning a match.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2022, 06:01:24 PM »
I suddenly feel sick.

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2022, 06:20:11 PM »
Is there reason to believe that Paul Smith left Wasps on bad terms?

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2022, 09:20:01 AM »
Some good points coming out.

In terms of the "hearts and minds" piece, I think there may have been an underestimation of the length of time required to really embed into the area and develop the support base. The links with local clubs and schools feeding players into the DPP and Academy systems, and the emergence of Coventry-grown talent will engage and resonate more with the local fans over time.

Also, building up local rivalries doesn't happen overnight. The football rivalry between Coventry and Leicester (the M69 derby) is well established, but the Wasps v Leicester match doesn't yet have the same feel. The traditional rivalry with Harlequins is still the big one - and should remain so, we started off as the same club, after all.

Agree wholeheartedly with the views of hopwood and WestWalesWasp that playing exciting, ambitious rugby is important. Entertainment is key, as is the whole matchday experience - particularly for families. Been a big fan of the "Christmas Cracker" games over the past few years (although can't remember us winning one....) for a good day out in the dark mid-winter.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2022, 12:23:51 PM »
but the Wasps v Leicester match doesn't yet have the same feel.

Wasps v Tigers was always fiercely contested in the AP days. The two clubs were at the top of the tree for a number of years.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 08:54:51 PM by Heathen »

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2022, 12:34:52 PM »
Wasps v Tigers was always fiercly contested in the AP days. The two clubs were at the top of the tree for a number of years.

Agree, but it wasn't a local derby then :)

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2022, 01:23:36 PM »
There may have been some "difference of opinion" when Paul left, not sure really, but he is a Freelance Journalist (or certainly was for a while after he left) so articles of this nature (and certainly the headline) will get him noticed I guess?

I think he does also work with/for Coventry Rugby as well (reports and match day commentaries I think)?

I have loads of respect for him and he does at times have strong opinions (which he absolutely entitled to) and the article is correct factually I would think, but you can take different views on different aspects as well.

It will certainly take time for Wasps to keep developing the local fanbase, but the recent Academy promotions and the building of the Training Centre are strong bases to work from in my opinion.

The return of Ash is just another part of this as well.

Personally I'd prefer to pay to see Wasps developed players with a real feel for what the club is about performing well at first team and International level (hopefully) than a team full of overseas players that don't always perform to their perceived "value" every week.

A good blend and mix is what we all want to see I think, but I am excited about some of Wasps' young players coming through alongside a couple of "gnarled old pro's" up front.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2022, 02:10:26 PM »

Wasps v Tigers was always fiercly contested in the AP days. The two clubs were at the top of the tree for a number of years.

Quins and Irish always had that geographical rivalry, but i'd always say Tigers felt like the bigger game. 

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2022, 04:59:37 PM »

Quins and Irish always had that geographical rivalry, but i'd always say Tigers felt like the bigger game.

I'd say the rivalry between us and Tigers doesn't feel as big a deal as it used to at AP. It used to be two teams at the top of the game battling it out for supremacy.  Now it's just a local thing and in reality one or the other of us has ben struggling a lot over the last few years.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

hopwood

« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2022, 04:30:03 PM »
One of our Foundations has been shut down.
But I have no idea if that is of any relevance…or part of a newer plan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-62563158

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2022, 07:00:38 PM »
One of our Foundations has been shut down.
But I have no idea if that is of any relevance…or part of a newer plan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-62563158

It was struck off for not filing accounts. Controversy is about still being able to donate to a non existent charity via Wasps website. Wasps saying that hasn’t happened, but according to Simon Gilbert donations can still be made. Charity commission looking into it.

Egret

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2022, 09:56:49 PM »
Such a ray of sunlight, may your star burn brightly tonight

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2022, 07:40:30 AM »
Such a ray of sunlight, may your star burn brightly tonight

It’s not my fault that storm clouds are gathering over Wasps with little sign, as yet, of any silver linings.

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2022, 08:08:52 AM »
Coventry City and Wasps reach breakthrough in CBS Arena talks.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-city-wasps-stadium-pitch-24775651

According to Coventry Telegraph and Andy Street sorted until "at least the end of the season" - no real details though?