Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps fans claim they're 'left in dark' and ask club for answers  (Read 13143 times)

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps fans claim they're 'left in dark' and ask club for answers
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2022, 08:16:10 AM »
Coventry City and Wasps reach breakthrough in CBS Arena talks.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-city-wasps-stadium-pitch-24775651

According to Coventry Telegraph and Andy Street sorted until "at least the end of the season" - no real details though?

Blimey do you think Wasps have bought Coventry City?

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2022, 08:43:10 AM »

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-city-wasps-stadium-pitch-24775651

According to Coventry Telegraph and Andy Street sorted until "at least the end of the season" - no real details though?

I'm assuming that was tongue in cheek, but it certainly made me laugh this morning.

It would be good to know what agreement they've reached.
It sounds like the pitch is in such a state that it's not safe to even walk up and down carrying a flag or whistle.
If that's the case there's no quick/easy solution, short of ripping it out and starting again.

I wonder if we'll ever find out

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2022, 09:05:00 AM »
I'd like to think that Mr. Street just told CCFC to shut up moaning and that they had unrealistic expectations of being able to play so soon after the CG 7s.

Realistically I suspect there has been some commitment to a reduction in rent - or at least a deferral until the games can be played.

Either way, a reduction in hostilities has to be a good thing.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2022, 09:08:31 AM »

:D :D

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2022, 10:07:52 AM »
I'd like to think that Mr. Street just told CCFC to shut up moaning and that they had unrealistic expectations of being able to play so soon after the CG 7s.

Realistically I suspect there has been some commitment to a reduction in rent - or at least a deferral until the games can be played.

Either way, a reduction in hostilities has to be a good thing.

I suspect Wasps have been told to adhere to terms of the contract and there should be a deferral until games resume.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2022, 10:17:03 AM »

No, it would have been far too great a leap of faith that Wasps won’t have gone bust by the end of the season even for Andy Street.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2022, 10:33:24 AM »
Now now Sam don’t let your bitterness creep in - it was only a lighthearted comment. I should ask - what do you think the natural consequence is if Wasps did go pop. Your owners don’t want the stadium. The council don’t. You’d be back on the phone to Northampton/Birmingham/Burton.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2022, 10:36:40 AM »
Now now Sam don’t let your bitterness creep in - it was only a lighthearted comment. I should ask - what do you think the natural consequence is if Wasps did go pop. Your owners don’t want the stadium. The council don’t. You’d be back on the phone to Northampton/Birmingham/Burton.
TBH Shugs, mine was only a tongue in cheek comment as well.

The council would have no choice about it and would have at least one tenant.

It’s been some time since CCFC had suggested they don’t want the stadium, and anyway things change.

There’s always the possibility of a third party although not convinced by Simon Jordan’s comments .
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 10:41:57 AM by SBSam »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2022, 10:49:58 AM »
My thought is that that particular scenario is more about self promotion than anything else.

Agosto blond snowpack

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2022, 11:44:24 AM »

That defies all logic. The value of the stadium to anyone is the fact it has a football club in it with over 20,000 attending games 23 times a year.

The council will have the lease in the short term like it or not and they will have the football club as tenants. The notion the club will move is not tenable in those circumstances. Its ACL anyway who would manage the sub-lease

In an administration of ACL there will be plenty trying to purchase as the loan will be wiped and essentially its a debt free operation
Please don't lie on the grass, unless accompanied by a fellow,
(May I be so bold as to suggest Othello)
Punting on the Cam is jolly fun they say
Beagling on the downs Oh please come they say
Rugger is the tops a game for men they say

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2022, 12:04:01 PM »
Yes, the football club would have 15-20k coming in. But they will be taking the cash for that. The council would, in essence, just be collecting a rent and maybe a % of food etc. On the flip side they have to run the stadium with all the costs that brings. Add to that the fact that they don’t get on well with the football club and it’s not a palatable scenario for them. The football club certainly don’t want to own it and virtually said as much as recently as a couple of weeks ago. So CCFC’s best hope is that things carry on as they are.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2022, 12:20:43 PM »
If it is just because of the debt burden, as opposed to be able to fund the daily operations, there's a good chance the administrator sells the club for a price that means it can continue as a going concern and the secured creditors walk away with whatever they can. This has to be a better deal than liquidating the assets because, to be brutal, who is going to buy the players at "market value" and what is the Wasps brand worth as a standalone entity?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2022, 12:37:28 PM »
Yes, sorry BIND. I ought to qualify by saying I don’t think that will happen (Wasps going pop). I was putting the question to Sam to address the common narrative amongst quite a number of CCFC fans (not necessarily Sam) that equates wasps leaving with CCFC owning or continuing to play in the stadium.

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2022, 12:47:52 PM »
If it is just because of the debt burden, as opposed to be able to fund the daily operations, there's a good chance the administrator sells the club for a price that means it can continue as a going concern and the secured creditors walk away with whatever they can. This has to be a better deal than liquidating the assets because, to be brutal, who is going to buy the players at "market value" and what is the Wasps brand worth as a standalone entity?

I’m not sure there would be a lot left after the bond holders have taken what was offers as security - basically everything including proceeds from sale of P shares.

Taken from the bonds prospectus -

The security includes a legal mortgage (explained in more detail below) granted by ACL and ACL2006 over their title to the Arena in Coventry, a mortgage over the whole share capital of ACL, a mortgage over the whole share capital of ACL2006, fixed charges over insurance policies held by ACL and ACL2006 in respect of the Arena, a fixed charge over a cash account (described in more detail below) (the “Interest Service Reserve Account”) to be opened by the Issuer on or prior to the Issue Date, and a floating charge over all of the other undertaking and assets, both present and future, of each of the Issuer, the Guarantors and ACL2006. In addition, if the “P-Shares” (as defined below), held by Wasps Holdings are ever sold prior to the maturity date of the Bonds, then the cash proceeds of the sale at such time are required to be paid into a designated bank account opened by Wasps Holdings with the Account Bank and secured by way of a fixed charge for the benefit of the Trustee, the paying agents under the Bonds, the Account Bank and the Bondholders. For the avoidance of doubt, the Trustee is not permitted to force the sale of the P-Shares (even following an event of default (as described under the heading “Events of Default” below)), because the P-Shares themselves do not form part of the secured assets – only the proceeds of their sale would form part of the secured assets. If the P-Shares are never sold by Wasps Holdings during the life of the Bonds, Wasps Holdings will not receive cash purchase monies in respect of them during the life of the Bonds. 

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2022, 12:55:56 PM »
Yes, sorry BIND. I ought to qualify by saying I don’t think that will happen (Wasps going pop). I was putting the question to Sam to address the common narrative amongst quite a number of CCFC fans (not necessarily Sam) that equates wasps leaving with CCFC owning or continuing to play in the stadium.

I think CCFC would continue to play at the stadium for the duration of their current tenancy. CCC would have to accept it if the head lease returns to them, a third party buyer (just use AEG as an example) would have the benefit of at least one tenant. Whether Wasps would survive as a Premier team is open to debate, all the family silver is at risk to the bondholders.

Genuinely don’t know if CCFC would be interested in ownership at the right price. The alleged plans for the unicorn stadium are much smaller than CBS Arena which might suggest they don’t want all the peripherals and associated overheads. And anyway, it wouldn’t be CCFC that actually owned it but another SISU subsidiary charging a rent.

CCC would be in a difficult place but the political optics are probably a bit different to 10 years ago.