Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Derek Speaks  (Read 5114 times)

Come on Dai Young

Re: Derek Speaks
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2022, 10:26:03 PM »
Perhaps the guy in charge can "say it with certainty "

C'mon, Neils - my point was that Richardson doesn't know what the future holds, any more or less than the rest of us do.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2022, 10:29:09 PM »
Perhaps the guy in charge can "say it with certainty "

C'mon, Neils - my point was that Richardson doesn't know what the future holds, any more or less than the rest of us do.

Yes and we might all be cinders if the mad man in Moscow has his way.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2022, 10:29:20 PM »
“Full of bluster and bravado” Hardly CODY. It says exactly what it needs to and doesn’t beat around the bush. I for one am glad that every bit of speculation is not commented on. Was it not what you wanted to hear?

He set up a straw man argument, knocked it down, then made an unverifiable claim about what the future will hold - yes, I think it was bluster and bravado. However, I'm happy to agree to disagree on that score, Shugs.

As I said in my reply to VV, this wasn't what I wanted to hear, as what I wanted was a substantive comment on the rumours that are swirling outside of the onanistic SBT bubble (i.e. the recruitment freeze, CVA filing, bond repayment, etc.). Again, I totally respect your position in regard to those issues not being remarked upon; however, I don't personally share it.

With all due respect, why should a man who has poured the sorts of money most of us can only dream of, into the team we supposedly support, answer the unfounded rumours pedalled by people who don't understand how business works?

What is it about you wanting to know that makes it reasonable to complain that no-one is telling you?

Derek says the business is not going under. I know the man, have a lot of respect for him, and like him a lot. If he says we needn't worry that is good enough for me. He's saved the club once after all.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2022, 10:30:22 PM »

Exactly so, Ross - none of us knows what lies ahead, so why pretend otherwise?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2022, 10:34:33 PM »

Exactly so, Ross - none of us knows what lies ahead, so why pretend otherwise?

Maybe a man who has built a multimillion pound business and exited with huge personal wealth is in a good position to say how his next business is doing. At least to the point of whether it is going under or not.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2022, 10:40:37 PM »

With all due respect, why should a man who has poured the sorts of money most of us can only dream of, into the team we supposedly support, answer the unfounded rumours pedalled by people who don't understand how business works?

What is it about you wanting to know that makes it reasonable to complain that no-one is telling you?

Derek says the business is not going under. I know the man, have a lot of respect for him, and like him a lot. If he says we needn't worry that is good enough for me. He's saved the club once after all.

Wow! There's a lot to unpack there, VV :)

We don't know that they're "unfounded rumours" - they may be, but they also may not. This is what I and others would like to know.

I'll readily admit to having little to no business acumen myself, but it seems like a sweeping statement to assume that *all* those who have chipped in their $0.02 on this matter share my ignorance.

As Shugs pointed out to me less than 24 hours ago, discussion is what forums exist for. If I was bombarding Richardson directly with demands for information, you'd be absolutely right to categorise my behaviour as entitled whingeing; as it is, I think the inference is a tad unfair.

The extent to which Richardson has "saved" Wasps is somewhat debatable, in my mind; however, it's well and truly outside the purview of this discussion, so I'll leave it there.

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2022, 10:44:33 PM »
Maybe a man who has built a multimillion pound business and exited with huge personal wealth is in a good position to say how his next business is doing. At least to the point of whether it is going under or not.

I'm sure many successful businessmen would've said similar things to Richardson, prior to earth-shaking events no-one could've foreseen (Covid, for example).

Really, honestly and truly, I'm not knocking him here - I just don't think he's omniscient, is all!

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2022, 11:18:51 PM »

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2022, 11:20:14 PM »
You can read The Times article in full here:

https://archive.ph/2022.08.12-191411/https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/wasps-owner-derek-richardson-denies-club-on-verge-of-going-bust-md7pkhtwb

Nothing much more than was said in the CET by Bobby.

Couldn't they have found a less dramatic photo of Joe Launch? I know rugby's a rough game but......... :o
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2022, 12:13:13 AM »
I'm beginning to think CODY is Grendel.

Come on Dai Young

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2022, 12:21:48 AM »

Think away, but you'll be wrong!

Is this seriously how the forum operates - anyone who disagrees with the common consensus is decreed to be an SBT plant, no matter how polite they may (or try to) be?

And if Grendel is the one of whom I'm thinking, I'm frankly offended that you think I could ever have such a poor grasp of grammar and syntax.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2022, 05:49:35 AM »
You are not Barney in disguise, are you? :) :) :)

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2022, 07:25:28 AM »
You are not Barney in disguise, are you? :) :) :)

Unlikely, Barney wasn't an argumentative attention seeker from what I remember.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2022, 07:36:13 AM »
I think CODY has been balanced. I have no business acumen either. But I was not expecting every detail on how we plan to get out of the problems we are in to be revealed in great detail to the media. As I have previously stated we have a financial hole to dig our selves out of, however with all the frothing at the mouth from some on SBT. And we must remember it is a very hostile environment against us that is nurtured by the individual who runs the site, who himself is very good at strawmanning any opposing views that do not fit with their confirmation bias.

Also we have seen an awful lot of supposition, rumour, here say and Chinese whispers promoted as fact which can then be used as a weapon to attack. The art of critique and critical analysis, to be able to step back, look at the information you are able to get hold of, thus creating an opinion, even if it runs contrary to how you want that information to conclude is a skill learnt rather than innately acquired. And unless people have that ability whilst equally understanding how their own confirmation bias impacts what they look for or how they disseminate information, then problems arise. Sky blues talk has only one poster that can do this to date and it is old sky blue. He may not like or want us there, but he can dispassionately evaluate information (you will see that when it runs contrary to the boards bias, other posters will call him a wasps supporter, as the site owner has done, which in turn betrays their lack of ability to undertake the above)

From my viewpoint Wasps and Derek simply did exactly what they needed to do at this time to address the complete tirade of rumour and supposition from the media and in the Internet forums. And that simply is we are not going into administration or folding. A simple phrase that resolves all the misinformation that we are.

Whereas to how we get back to a better financial position and the path we need to take, I hope in the fullness of time we are privy to such details. However that simple sentence did exactly what it was intended to do.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 07:38:03 AM by Wombles »

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2022, 07:36:52 AM »

Think away, but you'll be wrong!

Is this seriously how the forum operates - anyone who disagrees with the common consensus is decreed to be an SBT plant, no matter how polite they may (or try to) be?

And if Grendel is the one of whom I'm thinking, I'm frankly offended that you think I could ever have such a poor grasp of grammar and syntax.
How do you know who Grendel is then?