Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Talking points with Lee  (Read 1505 times)

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Talking points with Lee
« on: August 22, 2022, 01:32:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/WaspsRugby/status/1561687668475428867

Sounds encouraging. Serious ambitions to be a "skilful" team, and to build on the Wasps core.

Attack let us down last season, big work-on, and sounds like we want serious grunt up front.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Talking points with Lee
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 01:35:08 PM »
Happy for us to beef up the scrum performance, but I would hate for us to turn into a Chief's style, milk the scrum penalty, kick to the corner, rolling maul, one dimensional time. Chiefs at their worst was just plain boring to watch for me.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 01:41:31 PM »
Happy for us to beef up the scrum performance, but I would hate for us to turn into a Chief's style, milk the scrum penalty, kick to the corner, rolling maul, one dimensional time. Chiefs at their worst was just plain boring to watch for me.

Agree. However, I thought the law change regarding pre-binding actually nullified the Chiefs goal-line battering ram attack last season and was the main contributor to them finishing lower than in previous seasons.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 02:43:42 PM »
A good insight although I was slightly alarmed at the list of things where “aren’t quite there yet”. Really hoping between Spink, Mills, Hartley and Odendaal (maybe Odogwu) that we can improve at centre. For me, that was our issue last season.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 03:35:14 PM »

Agree. However, I thought the law change regarding pre-binding actually nullified the Chiefs goal-line battering ram attack last season and was the main contributor to them finishing lower than in previous seasons.

Agreed, but it did show that in spells they can play some attractive rugby. Being my "local" team, I always attend when Wasps visit, so it would be much better for me if they'd be more consistent with a more flowing style of play

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 04:08:35 PM »
A good insight although I was slightly alarmed at the list of things where “aren’t quite there yet”. Really hoping between Spink, Mills, Hartley and Odendaal (maybe Odogwu) that we can improve at centre. For me, that was our issue last season.

Don't think you can know anything is there until it is done under pressure repeatedly in game situations.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 04:13:00 PM »
True.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 07:55:11 PM »
I see that Koch is on the bench for SA this weekend. When can we realistically see him in B&G and will he be AWOL again for the AIs?

MarleyWasp

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 08:14:42 PM »
Last Rugby Championship match is 24th September. We have a week off the following weekend. He'd be available for the four matches after that, then away for the first three weeks in November, but back the weekend England play South Africa as it's outside the test window.

But Wasps would have known this before we signed him.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 08:19:50 PM »

I'm less worried about 13 than I am about who plays 12.  Odogwu and Spink are both perfectly capable at 13.  I'd like to see what happens with Mills and Odendaal then look at how we can ease Hartley in with game time. 

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 09:18:35 PM »
I cant be the only person who has a little laugh whenever anyone suggests Mills might be the answer.

I'll be amazed if he can remember how to play the damn game he's been out for so long.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2022, 09:26:53 PM »
I cant be the only person who has a little laugh whenever anyone suggests Mills might be the answer.

I'll be amazed if he can remember how to play the damn game he's been out for so long.

It's the hope that kills ya

Alapati was perma injured for us, but had a good run for a while when he eventually got fit after leaving.

That said, I agree with you... It ain't happening

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2022, 09:41:49 PM »

It's the hope that kills ya

Alapati was perma injured for us, but had a good run for a while when he eventually got fit after leaving.

That said, I agree with you... It ain't happening

Yeah, but Alapati was an order of magnitude above Mills. Already making waves on the world stage, turned down the All Blacks to play for his actual team when he signed for usnand immediately went off injured for 2 years. He's never hit those heights again since his injuries.

Mills has only ever been unmet potential. If he doesn't hit those heights again where does that leave him?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2022, 07:26:12 AM »
Agreed re the delicacy of Mills. It’s why I was very relieved to see Odendaal in the pre season stuff. I’m excited to see more of Hartley as well. I know it’s not right but Mills in my mind is a bonus if we see him.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2022, 08:10:25 AM »
I am one of those who is optimistic about Mills. He's clearly got the skillset and the aptitude - if only he weren't made of glass.

Hopefully off the back of a decent, full pre-season, and carrying no injuries into the season we may finally see the best of him, and a return on investment. It must have been a three year deal off the bat, because given his record I can't see us having extended a 2+1, for example.

He was, IMO, always seen as the replacement for Jimmy, and was to be eased in to take the load off him. That didn't happen.

Time for him to deliver.