Always a Wasp

Author Topic: International Allegiance - Kerr-Barlow  (Read 1022 times)

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
International Allegiance - Kerr-Barlow
« on: August 24, 2022, 10:37:59 AM »
Not strictly Wasps related, although with Mala and Vaea Fifita having swapped allegiance relatively recently there's a link.

New Zealand RWC winning scrum-half Tawera Kerr-Barlow has announced his availability and desire to represent Australia in the '23 RWC. He's 32, and hasn't played for NZ since 2017. Born in Australia, so eligible for them now.

This is the first major Tier 1 -> Tier 1 switch and raises the possibility that a player could win the RWC for two nations...

Unintended consequences of the re-nationalisation rules being less stringent than originally proposed, I think! The original proposal was for only T1 -> T2 nations, to help rebuild the PI nations international sides - the likes of Charles Piutau and Mala representing the country of their heritage.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: International Allegiance - Kerr-Barlow
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 11:10:38 AM »
Not sure what to make of this, just doesn’t sit right for me.
He was a leading member of the squad during his day, had led the Haka I believe and clearly a passionate New Zealander and All Black.
He’s not just a one cap wonder that is now tied and eventhough I know he left Aus as a teenager I’m sure that was for rugby reasons as he linked up with Waikato at age group level.

The assumption that he could win the World Cup with Australia was amusing however.
Not sure he’d make the squad now anyway or whether La Rochelle would be keen on him going.
In my mind this feels different to Fekitoa, Hughes and Piutau but can’t really explain why…

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 11:18:43 AM »
The assumption that he could win the World Cup with Australia was amusing however.
I was quoting from the article I read  ;D ;D I would share your view!

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 11:29:57 AM »
Sounds ridiculous to me. Risk that dual qualified players would 'transfer' for the wrong reasons.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 11:35:25 AM »
Sugfestions were made when this was introduced that if this regulation is going to continue either needs to be a cap limit before being allowed to swap e.g. more than 20 caps no change allowed or swaps only from tier 1 to tier 2.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 12:37:50 PM »
On the plus side it will stop international coaches selecting players for a single game to deny other international teams the services of the player.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 01:26:11 PM »
With the stand down period being set at 3 years, it does open the very real possibility that a player, let's use Odogwu as an entirely hypothetical example, could play in the 2023 WC for Italy, have a fantastic tournament and make a real name for himself then turn his back on Italy and announce his intention to represent England at the following WC, after being tapped up by Eddie's successor, making him available for a full year in the lead up to the 2027 WC.  Extending it by just one year, thereby meaning that the player would have to sit out a WC in between would put a stop to this. Not that it's started.  Yet!  But that doesn't mean it won't.

Agree with BiND's point though that this might put a stop to players being capped once in a low key game, just to deny another country.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2022, 03:27:35 PM »
Sugfestions were made when this was introduced that if this regulation is going to continue either needs to be a cap limit before being allowed to swap e.g. more than 20 caps no change allowed or swaps only from tier 1 to tier 2.

Only issue with this is that Tier 1 and 2 are entirely nebulous concepts aren't they? Once you codify who is Tier 1 and who Tier 2 (and beyond) don't you then have to have a process for reviewing a team's tiering? In the dark days of Wales's 10th place ranking should this make them Tier 2 and eligible for incoming switches? Or are they always Tier 1 regardless of ranking?

Good ideas always come unstuck when you try and write them in to a formal set of rules (laws, I know).

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2022, 06:24:28 PM »
I think it’s largely irrelevant. “Recipient” teams are by and large acquiring over the hill players who are past their prime. I don’t think results for example, for Tonga, have massively improved.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 09:09:40 PM »
England player swopping to Wales.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-exploit-new-world-rugby-24840482

Ok ‘only’ woman player ,but another step .