Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Sky Blues Club Update.  (Read 1955 times)

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Sky Blues Club Update.
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2022, 01:15:06 PM »
@Wonky just Slim is fine by me  ;)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2022, 01:15:44 PM »
@Wonky just Slim is fine by me  ;)

Yes adding the Y was a bit much!
Let me tell you something cucumber

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2022, 01:26:47 PM »
Depends on what that confidence was based. I think Wasps weren’t expecting the amount of damage, certainly rugby fans seemed surprised.

I don’t thin releasing the statement earlier would have made any difference to fans feelings. It was the fact that Wasps were denying there was a problem with the pitch, and hence refusing to repair it that was the big issue.
Wasps said nothing about the pitch.CCFC went crying to the press first.
No denial ever took place by Wasps.

Were you there when Vaughan and Boddy discussed it? Sometimes actions (in this case inactions) speak louder than words.
Like I said no denial was needed.I think the back tracking by CCFC is saying a lot more.
Anyway a game of rugby to get too.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2022, 01:34:06 PM »
Depends on what that confidence was based. I think Wasps weren’t expecting the amount of damage, certainly rugby fans seemed surprised.

I don’t thin releasing the statement earlier would have made any difference to fans feelings. It was the fact that Wasps were denying there was a problem with the pitch, and hence refusing to repair it that was the big issue.

Were you there when Vaughan and Boddy discussed it? Sometimes actions (in this case inactions) speak louder than words.
Like I said no denial was needed.I think the back tracking by CCFC is saying a lot more.

I suspect neither Wasps nor CCFC nor CWG nor even EFL actually foresaw the amount of damage which was inflicted on the pitch by the 7s tourney.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2022, 01:43:40 PM »

I suspect neither Wasps nor CCFC nor CWG nor even EFL actually foresaw the amount of damage which was inflicted on the pitch by the 7s tourney.
100% agree about the damage with the caveat that CCFC knew the pitch wasn't being relaid but went to the press demanding it.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2022, 01:48:28 PM »
In all the fuss about the state of the pitch, I think we need to bear in mind the fact that CCFC agreed to start the season by playing a home game on a pitch they did not have access to.

I am still 100% convinced that all the subsequent smokescreen about the state of the pitch was started to distract from that and paint someone else as the bad guys. Whatever else we think about them we should be impressed by their mastery of PR.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

SBSam

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2022, 02:05:43 PM »
What really should have happened is that the unavailability of the pitch due to the CWG should have been written in to the lease agreement which had to be approved by the EFL who would then have had to take it in to account when scheduling.

That being said, the pitch wasn’t available on 21 August either.

As RossM said, it is probable that everyone was taken by surprise by the damage, although the ground staff were tweeting about difficulties with getting the pitch ready for the 7s beforehand.

As an aside, I am turfing on my lawn today  :)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2022, 02:13:07 PM »
What really should have happened is that the unavailability of the pitch due to the CWG should have been written in to the lease agreement which had to be approved by the EFL who would then have had to take it in to account when scheduling.

As RossM said, it is probable that everyone was taken by surprise by the damage, although the ground staff were tweeting about difficulties with getting the pitch ready for the 7s beforehand.

Do you think the ground staff decided to get their retaliation in first? Or am I just an old cynic?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2022, 02:22:35 PM »

Sorry but this is a red herring - long before you decided to return the Arena was given to the Birmingham CWG Committee for whole use - until the 14th August 2022.  This was known about (as was the World Rugby League Usage later this year) when you opted to return. The CWG Committee were asked by CCFC if they would allow a game to take place (note CWGC asked NOT Wasps) during their "ownership". CCFC were told this was OK at their risk because the CWGC had not fully withdrawn from the area. Why the hell the useless EFL were not involved defeats me.
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2022, 02:50:42 PM »
Exactly Neils.  Even I picked that up weeks ago and commented on the EFL  being dilatory in their responsibilities. And if I  can see that ....  well, so should everyone else.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2022, 02:56:22 PM »
As an aside, I am turfing on my lawn today

Will there be an inspection later?

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2022, 04:19:23 PM »
Whatever else we think about them we should be impressed by their mastery of PR.

Well yes I can see that - except I can also seen a huge flaw in the divisive messaging.

The constant animosity and divisive nit-picking-angle of all the Sky Blues v Wasps comments (here and in the local and National press) mean that any keen soccer fans amongst the Wasps faithful will know they are unwelcome at a Sky Blues match. So they don’t go.

So what’s the cost of that?

It’s hard to put a figure on it but how many extra bums on seats has this negative PR cost? What would the Sky Blues give for another 2000 per match? And vice versa for Wasps.

I’ve always felt Coventry is a sports mad city. As somebody who loves watching rugby and soccer it makes me very sad for the city. No team is going hit it’s full potential until somebody shows true leadership and solves this issue. I thought maybe Mr Hoffman May have a told to play in this?

We should be realising we are from the same place and cheering all the teams based in Coventry. Not verbally at each other’s throats the whole time. And for us both to have enough dosh to make great signings and show the country what sporting jewels Coventry has got 💥

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2022, 04:33:39 PM »
EFL are as bad as the RFU. Not fit for purpose, the only thing about them that is good is they don't have their collective snouts in the trough  unlike the rfu, primarily because they keep pissing into said trough.

BarossaD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2022, 04:45:55 PM »
Whatever else we think about them we should be impressed by their mastery of PR.

Well yes I can see that - except I can also seen a huge flaw in the divisive messaging.

The constant animosity and divisive nit-picking-angle of all the Sky Blues v Wasps comments (here and in the local and National press) mean that any keen soccer fans amongst the Wasps faithful will know they are unwelcome at a Sky Blues match. So they don’t go.

It’s hard to put a figure on it but how many extra bums on seats has this negative PR cost? What would the Sky Blues give for another 2000 per match? And vice versa for Wasps.

I’ve always felt Coventry is a sports mad city. As somebody who loves watching rugby and soccer it makes me very sad for the city. No team is going hit it’s full potential until somebody shows true leadership and solves this issue. I thought maybe Mr Hoffman May have a told to play in this?

We should be realising we are from the same place and cheering all the teams based in Coventry. Not verbally at each other’s throats the whole time. And for us both to have enough dosh to make great signings and show the country what sporting jewels Coventry has got 💥

All of this

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2022, 06:09:42 PM »

+1. There is plenty of room for top rugby, football, netball etc. teams.