Author Topic: TRP  (Read 2108 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
TRP
« on: September 04, 2022, 08:49:31 AM »
Beginning of season articles -
They have us predicted to finish 10th.
Fissler says Wade has an offer from Racing.
Lee reckons we are almost through the worst. He has changed the training regime to reduce potential injuries. Strange comment suggests recruitment restrictions were from halfway through last season but I think that may be a misunderstanding.
Let me tell you something cucumber

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 08:55:36 AM »
Said recruitment freeze was before Christmas.  We had signed a South African who subsequently retired, that freed up some already committed salary to continue making some signings despite the freeze.

At least, that’s how I read it.  I wonder who we’d signed before they decided to retire?

MarleyWasp

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 09:00:02 AM »
We were being linked with David Meihuizen from the Stormers, but he retired due to concussion in March.

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/stormers-lock-david-meihuizen-announces-sudden-retirement-at-24-e0cc7db4-4b77-46b6-9885-3fa964cfa798

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 09:44:10 AM »
We were being linked with David Meihuizen from the Stormers, but he retired due to concussion in March.

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/stormers-lock-david-meihuizen-announces-sudden-retirement-at-24-e0cc7db4-4b77-46b6-9885-3fa964cfa798

That clears that comment up. Thanks.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 11:17:43 AM »
Gets confusing as announcements are often so different time wise to actual signings. Whatever - I’d have liked another option at 13 and maybe more depth at lock but I think our squad looks great.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 01:14:07 PM »
Most commentators predict us 10th to 8th, I look at everyone elses' backs and think they have us on paper. Up front we look good, but there are plenty of good packs out there.
We might look at someone like Bassett and say, great hard worker, would not swap him for anyone, but other clubs won't be looking at their up and coming wingers and saying 'wish we had a Bassett'. We really need to see minimal injuries at 10, 12 and 13, and already look dodgy on the first.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 01:36:07 PM »
Agree about 13 but we have three options at both 10 and 12. Minozzi having a decent pre-season gives us valuable depth at FB and wing. I’m more worried that one of Launch, McDonald or Cardall pick up a knock. That will leave the other two playing a lot until Stooke gets back as Dodson may go out on loan.

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2022, 03:32:41 PM »
Most commentators predict us 10th to 8th

Yeah they’re such a gloomy bunch aren’t they! And most of those commentators seem think we’re going bust too. Gloom gloom gloom.

Let’s hope everybody continues to  underestimate us!

I think our pre-season looked pretty good including the recent two matches. Better than I was expecting.

Be surprised if we don’t finish Top 6 and for sure I expect us to be around at the end of the season.

So I’ve got my season ticket and can’t wait for the season to start.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 04:10:22 PM »
There's no way Dodson will go out on loan whilst our depth at lock is so shallow.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2022, 04:54:38 PM »
My head can't argue too much with 8th-10th to be honest. My heart does a bit though.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2022, 05:08:53 PM »
There's no way Dodson will go out on loan whilst our depth at lock is so shallow.

Supposedly off to Ampthill.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2022, 06:46:23 PM »
Quite possibly, but not when we need him. Otherwise what's the point in signing him?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2022, 07:02:23 PM »
I think we’ll be top 6.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2022, 07:52:37 PM »
Agree about 13 but we have three options at both 10 and 12. Minozzi having a decent pre-season gives us valuable depth at FB and wing. I’m more worried that one of Launch, McDonald or Cardall pick up a knock. That will leave the other two playing a lot until Stooke gets back as Dodson may go out on loan.

Yeah, but 10 at the moment already lacks two selections due to injury. Minozzi is class, I have said repeatedly, so yeah, I get that he will be like a new signing and a top option. I hope he secures a permanent starting place.
It is the Kiberige types I am more worried about, depth in general.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2022, 08:06:35 PM »
Yes, point taken, as it stands we’re a bit thin at 10. Mills looked decent there but not sure he’d cope in the prem although he has played there before.