Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The Guardian view of Wasps  (Read 1148 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The Guardian view of Wasps
« on: September 08, 2022, 01:15:13 PM »
Wasps
The club have struggled with injury problems more than most in recent years and endured their own financial hardships of late. Big names have departed in Jimmy Gopperth and Malakai Fekitoa and have not been replaced and, while Vincent Koch’s arrival is a coup, it could be a long season for Lee Blackett’s side. Keeping Joe Launchbury fit would help and there are sure to be some memorable days for Wasps when everything clicks – the worry is that it will not happen often enough.

Last season: 9th Predicted finish this season: 10th Key player: Joe Launchbury World Cup bolter: Paolo Odogwu
Let me tell you something cucumber

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Guardian view of Wasps
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 01:20:15 PM »
World Cup bolter: Paolo Odogwu

Nothing revelatory in the rest of the piece, but I reckon Alfie has more chance of bolting the RWC than Paolo. I think the emergence of Arundell and Freeman has probably nixed Paolo's chances in this cycle.

Unless it's with Italy....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 07:34:52 PM »
These simplistic press views are irritating. It blasé to say Gopperth and Fekitoa have gone as “big names” not replaced. Odendaal is in and Hartley promoted. Fekitoa was frequently injured and if we’re honest, apart from some eye catching hits, didn’t really deliver. In terms of departures that might hurt us a fit Gaskell would have been useful to retain but I don’t see anything else as a problem.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 07:59:22 PM »
Our season could well be defined by how we come through our first 6 league matches.

At the moment, I am fearful that it could well be a painful experience for the team and fans alike.

If we got a couple of Ws under our belts early on, it could be different.

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 08:11:07 PM »
These simplistic press views are irritating. It blasé to say Gopperth and Fekitoa have gone as “big names” not replaced. Odendaal is in and Hartley promoted. Fekitoa was frequently injured and if we’re honest, apart from some eye catching hits, didn’t really deliver. In terms of departures that might hurt us a fit Gaskell would have been useful to retain but I don’t see anything else as a problem.

Yes it is very irritating to read this junk, but if it means our opponents underestimate us, I’m happy!
COYW 🐝

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 06:47:50 AM »
Leicester
Big names have departed in George Ford and Ellis Genge and have not been replaced

:o

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 08:20:29 AM »
Agreed. I wrote a longer explanation below the line in the Guardian as I felt their "offer" didn't provide anything for a non Wasps fan, or indeed anyone else.

This is what I wrote!

I'll stick to my lot as the writer is perhaps not 100% with what the key issues are for Wasps re the player pool. Jimmy if he was 5 years younger would be a a loss but he was rather hanging on last season and Feks hasn't really delivered for a while. So with a (everything crosssed) fit Ryan Mills and Odendall we probably have the potential to do better at centre alongside the younger players.

Whilst Launch is a Wasps icon, the big loss was Stooke. His x-rays look decent and his durability and quality of lineout leadership will be vital when he returns. The big bonus will be Dan R not being bothered by England - he didn't fit which is fine, but he really does with us and with young 10's he'll be more important than ever. Minozzi was unlucky end of last season and had injury managed over pre season and if in form is another bonus to a team needing leaders and spark. Pre season, he looked sharp.

For a change, we'll probably have a very competitive front row, excellence at hooker and what I'd (no bias..) call a near international standard back row with Shields, Willis T and Willis J a more than useful selection before Barbeary and Carr are thought about. Perhaps a little short of out and out pace. A decent start to the season may be important, but our run to the final shows what a second half roll can do. I'd hope for top 8, the coach probably needs that. Our attack has missed the direction shown in a number of wins in the 19/20 season where we demonstrated a coherency that's been rather lacking recently. (The 60 points vs the EA's being a decent example. I enjoyed watching that again recently - not part of my posting!)

The power - if it's well expressed - will allow plan b to be invoked if we're looking shabby, ball in hand. Something that's not been an option for a while.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 11:05:58 AM by mike909 »

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 08:24:22 AM »
The press always seem to focus on the big name players who are often past their peak (if still very good) and the authors rarely have the knowledge to look at the players coming through and give meaningful insights on the new players. I think Wasps focus on bringing through academy players and spotting talent in the championship has been timed really well and ahead of many other teams. Many of the big players in the team now are still relatively recent promotions or players from the championship who's potential was missed by other teams. The big name players all came from somewhere.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2022, 09:08:12 AM »
Not a dig at you at all Mike but I would still like someone in the know to tell me what Gleason actually did at wasps and whether he contributed anything to be considered a loss.

To my mind he was assistant backs coach the season Dai left, we made the final but this was with Blackett still in charge of the backs (happy to be proved wrong on this) then when he was given more responsibility we offered little in attack, we scraped 8th in the league and he was rewarded with a job with England, where I am still not sure what he offers.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 09:10:10 AM by JonnyD »

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 09:10:20 AM »
Organic growth is best. I very much like the way that we have bought academy players through to the senior squad. There a is much greater sense of belonging and camerardery, as a consequence. Think back to the days when Dom, Danny et al came through to the senior squad around the same time.

This season will be a challenge but I fancy next year has great potential for Wasps.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2022, 09:29:45 AM »
Organic growth is best. I very much like the way that we have bought academy players through to the senior squad. There a is much greater sense of belonging and camerardery, as a consequence. Think back to the days when Dom, Danny et al came through to the senior squad around the same time.

This season will be a challenge but I fancy next year has great potential for Wasps.

Agree Heathen. I'm still hoping for a little sprinkling of Stardust in the areas where we're a little thin on the ground (2nd row, wing and centre), but this is the core of our team now, that we must retain and build on. I too am hanging my hat on a season to gel, hope for some stability, and next year we will be going places.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 11:03:39 AM »
Not a dig at you at all Mike but I would still like someone in the know to tell me what Gleason actually did at wasps and whether he contributed anything to be considered a loss.

To my mind he was assistant backs coach the season Dai left, we made the final but this was with Blackett still in charge of the backs (happy to be proved wrong on this) then when he was given more responsibility we offered little in attack, we scraped 8th in the league and he was rewarded with a job with England, where I am still not sure what he offers.
The sentiment that we've not been coherent is I think right, I was muddled in who was in charge - apols! Edited.

Re England - the only attack coach that's really had an impact was Scott Wisemantel - and mainly in SA....and briefly....I don't think coaching with Jones is a good gig.