Always a Wasp

Author Topic: My thoughts on the salary cap  (Read 1977 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
My thoughts on the salary cap
« on: December 09, 2018, 09:50:47 PM »
I've been thinking a lot about the knock on effects of the salary cap, and I don't think it's going to work out well for anyone in the long run.

http://onceawasp.com/how-the-salary-cap-will-affect-us-and-everyone-else/
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: My thoughts on the salary cap
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 08:57:58 AM »
Agreed. It could be argued that it will drive wages down and the number of imports will fall, meaning more EPQ players will get a chance. I think it might also mean that clubs might start to look at numbers in the squad, and increase their squad size. 3 players for every position, and for critical roles (front row and scrum half and flyhalf), maybe four, meaning I think we could see squads heading towards 50. That's only £145k per player outside the marquees. And I think £300k will become the top line pay for the best two or three in the squad, with most on £100k or less. There will be far greater rotation as well meaning each player having to play less games.

With marquees on as little as £400k-£500k, we will attract far fewer out of league players.

I think it will be good for the game.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 09:07:21 AM »
I think it could be good for the game, but I do worry that more people will follow in Wade's footsteps and realise they have eminently transferable skills.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 09:39:01 AM »
I think it could be good for the game, but I do worry that more people will follow in Wade's footsteps and realise they have eminently transferable skills.

That's exactly what came to my mind.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 12:10:54 PM »

This is where the new money coming into the game will cause problems.
What will teams do with the money burning a hole in their pockets, but a cap stopping them from spending it.

It'll either go into infrastructure and academy, or it'll be spent on the likes of Kurtley Beale.

If there's significant financial reward for winning competitions, then it adds weight to the short term marquee approach as you'll get return on your investment if you win stuff.
However, only 1 team can win the league so everyone else will likely lose out in that scenario