Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Team's Up for Briz.  (Read 2633 times)

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Team's Up for Briz.
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2022, 12:33:22 PM »
maybe the idea is that Dobby comes on and makes sure last week doesn't happen again!
Not blaming Porter, but Dans extra experience might help prevent a melt down. I seem to remember Jimmy being used the same way in a few games last season. IIRC it worked.

+ 1 (but I’m still surprised). Very strong Wasps bench.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2022, 12:35:27 PM »
Personally, I'd like Alfie to 'take care of' Randall..................just once :)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2022, 12:57:11 PM »
For me if West is fit enough get through 80 mins he starts, if he isn’t he shouldn’t be on the bench. What happens if Hislop gets injured in the 1st minute?

Also surprised about Dan. Maybe Lee thinks Porter can take care of a Randall better?

I agree with you about West, really don't understand why he isn't starting, he is fit or he isn't, no point bringing him on if the game has gone. Also Dan on the bench is a big call. Lee needs this win a defeat at home will not go down well.

Not sure why Oghre is not in the 23, not overly impressed with Lee's choices

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2022, 01:09:53 PM »
For me if West is fit enough get through 80 mins he starts, if he isn’t he shouldn’t be on the bench. What happens if Hislop gets injured in the 1st minute?

Also surprised about Dan. Maybe Lee thinks Porter can take care of a Randall better?

I agree with you about West, really don't understand why he isn't starting, he is fit or he isn't, no point bringing him on if the game has gone. Also Dan on the bench is a big call. Lee needs this win a defeat at home will not go down well.

If West isn’t 100% and it’s just a question of match fitness then to me that’s better any day than EM-M at LH.
Remember with props that the replacements can be replaced so let Hislop run around and do his thing in what will probably be a more open game than scrum focused, then West comes on knowing Hislop can come back on if need be.

Oghre I’m not sure about, Cruse was ok last week, arrows good but Frost gave good impact. Maybe Oghre will get a half on Tuesday instead.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2022, 01:11:41 PM »
Burger on playing first game at CBS arena.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1570744310546501634
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2022, 01:25:26 PM »
That’s hell of a squad. Apart from Stooke, Shields and Koch I’m not sure it gets any stronger as a 23 man squad. You could argue the 3 missing players aren’t guaranteed a starting spot any more

I think I'd include Harris and/or Martinez in that.

I also think Odogwu should feature, although probably on the wing rather than centre while we're trying to get some consistency at 12/13

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2022, 01:29:21 PM »

Agree in the main, West ought to start and Oghre for me, is in the squad. Dan is a big call. Must be a knock? Perhaps we have a different game plan that looks to expand later on?

But...I'm not for Alfie at 8, Tom was one of the top 8s last season and surely we can't be playing Alfie at 8 to help England? Backline beyond 9 is pretty much the expected, strong bench  perhaps that's the plan? Keen to see Mills get game time as he is class and time on the pitch will help regain that edge.

Need the win for many reasons, but need more to look like we're all on the same page all game.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2022, 01:44:20 PM »
Maybe they are trying to give Porter more responsibility, and saving Dan a bit.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2022, 02:05:43 PM »
I'm with those who think having Dan on the bench is to prevent the melt down that happened last week.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2022, 02:09:23 PM »
Maybe they are trying to give Porter more responsibility, and saving Dan a bit.

Our bench looks formidable so hope we are in touching distance when Dan et al. get on the pitch.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2022, 02:27:05 PM »
I'm not familiar with many of the Briz players. Their 8 has only got 1 previous appearance.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2022, 02:35:40 PM »
I'm not familiar with many of the Briz players. Their 8 has only got 1 previous appearance.

Bradbury? Almost 20 caps for Scotland, moved down from Edinburgh in the Summer. I assume his one appearance was last week!

He's a proper player.

Jac A

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2022, 02:47:56 PM »

Front row is decent enough - Jake Woolmore and Yann Thomas have pretty much swapped the 1 and 17 shirt for the last four years. Will Capon 22 y/o hooker, stocky, good ball carrier, maybe not the best at throwing, been a back-up to Thacker and Bryan Byrne (Irish hooker signed from Leinster a couple of years ago) for a few seasons now.
Back row, Heenan a bit of a journeyman, played for Connacht for a few years, can play across the backrow. Sam Jefferies had a few years out and came back, good season last year saw him called up for England, tall, decent carrier. Magnus Bradbury is a Scottish international (19 caps), came from Edinburgh this season, powerful and hard worker. Sam Lewis was released by Worcester this summer and joined Bristol after a trial, typical Welsh 7.
Sam Bedlow has been around the team for a few years, 27 but struggled with injuries, can be a bit of a liability discipline-wise. Jack Bates 21 year old winger, former Eng U20, came through last year, fast. Rich Lane came from the Championship last year (from Bedford, Jersey before that), primarily a full back but also plays wing, solid under high balls and a good step.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2022, 02:58:32 PM »

Bradbury? Almost 20 caps for Scotland, moved down from Edinburgh in the Summer. I assume his one appearance was last week!

He's a proper player.

Bradbury is frighteningly good.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2022, 03:34:34 PM »

He's a proper player.

Bradbury is frighteningly good.

Well I did say I wasn't familiar with Briz players, though Bradbury's name did ring a bell. Ignorance is no excuse. :-[ :-[
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!