Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Team's Up for Briz.  (Read 2635 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Team's Up for Briz.
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2022, 03:58:54 PM »
I'm not familiar with many of the Briz players. Their 8 has only got 1 previous appearance.

Bradbury? Almost 20 caps for Scotland, moved down from Edinburgh in the Summer. I assume his one appearance was last week!

He's a proper player.

Bradbury is frighteningly good.

Well I did say I wasn't familiar with Briz players, though Bradbury's name did ring a bell. Ignorance is no excuse. :-[ :-[

As an Edinburgh member we were not pleased to see him up sticks especially as he had been supported through a "difficult" period. As a Wasps STH I was not pleased to see where he ended up.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2022, 04:22:35 PM »
I'm with those who think having Dan on the bench is to prevent the melt down that happened last week.

Can Dan not play 80 minutes anymore, thought he played really well last week and was taken off after 55 minutes. Maybe he got a knock

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2022, 04:54:34 PM »
I really can’t buy the stack your bench tactic. In the case of Robson are we really suggesting that someone who was integral to us getting a big lead is going to come on second half to stop us doing so again……even though their absence may mean we don’t have the lead. He must have a knock.

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2022, 05:35:45 PM »
I'm another mystified by Robson being on the bench, I thought Atkinson was at his best with Robbo at 9 last week.

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2022, 06:35:14 PM »
Robson played really well last week. Like others, I guess he’s got a niggle and hasn’t been in full training this week.

But I also can’t help thinking that if he hadn’t fired out that bullet pass at 100 mph which travelled about 5 yards, then bounced off Spink’s chest giving possession to Glaws ….

However I would start him. Mainly because I’m thinking that bullet pass wasn’t really meant for Spink at all, but Atkinson. Maybe I’m dreaming this! I guess we’ll never know what the outcome would have been.

But maybe he’s coming off the bench with the new FH, taking some pressure off him?

Jac A

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2022, 06:57:23 PM »
Personally, I think the Porter/Robson decision may be down to kicking. Robson is our best box-kicker and that is our go to for kick receipt. With Bristol being a team who rarely put boot to ball we may be going with a more dynamic, high tempo approach from Porter as turnover ball is likely to come from breakdowns and handling errors rather than kicks. Robson then being used to come on for the last 30 mins to control the game with territorial kicks.

hopwood

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2022, 08:22:13 PM »
It's a long season that's going to need at least 2 scrum half at the top of their game, if we are going to finish Top 6.

If Porter is always the sub, then he's never going to be able to raise his overall game.
These days, every position gets rotation, and rightly so.
You can't place that much responsibility and emphasis on a single player.

To succeed, you need two players performing well. Competing against each other. Raising standards.
Porter needs a start, for his own development and motivation....and to keep Dobby sharp too.

We need that healthy competition that Simmo used to share with Dobby.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2022, 09:46:45 PM »
Don't forget we also have a third quality scrum half, who we have mainly used as a winger, and who re-signed for this season

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2022, 12:43:00 AM »
And Woolstenholme who was actually picked ahead of Porter a fair bit over the last two years before Porter found some form in the last third of the season

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2022, 10:11:39 AM »
And Woolstenholme who was actually picked ahead of Porter a fair bit over the last two years before Porter found some form in the last third of the season

+1.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2022, 10:25:14 AM »

Shame he is injured as he could increase competition.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2022, 11:28:32 AM »
When he is on form Dobby is by far our best SH, in fact I'd argue he's the best in the league.

Last week suggested he is close to form again after a disappointing season last time round. So I can't find any justification for benching him. If it's because of injury then he shouldn't play. He could end up playing the whole game from the bench anyway.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2022, 12:29:41 PM »
Agree with the VV. Hope we don’t pay the price. What makes him even better is that wrongly in my view his Eng days seem over so he’s available all year.

hopwood

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2022, 03:03:51 PM »
When he is on form Dobby is by far our best SH, in fact I'd argue he's the best in the league.

Last week suggested he is close to form again after a disappointing season last time round. So I can't find any justification for benching him. If it's because of injury then he shouldn't play. He could end up playing the whole game from the bench anyway.

I think these days, every rugby player carries a knock or two.
I suppose it’s about managing those knocks.