Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Post Match Thoughts  (Read 2975 times)

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Post Match Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2022, 05:33:56 PM »
First half was a perfect example of why Lee said one of the 3 things he wanted at the start of the season was a set piece that created penalties, it keeps you in the game when you arent playing well.
Despite what people may wish for you can't play "the wasps way" without it, it leads to errors, knock ons and forced passes like we saw today when Charlie tried his best to make it happen.

Penalties in favour of the opposition!

We could have won it without the set piece today.
Our scrum wasn’t particularly bad at all today. Bristol defended our maul well but we could never really pursue that further as we knocked on before we could force penalties through momentum allowing us to kick to the corner again.

Didn’t Lee also mention that he wanted us to be a skilful team?

Did you watch the first half, every Bristol point came from scrum penalties even when the rest of their play was poor!

I’d have to check it back, but that potentially was two pens leading to their 10 points?
We also won scrum penalties however but could not capitalise.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2022, 05:36:33 PM »
First half was a perfect example of why Lee said one of the 3 things he wanted at the start of the season was a set piece that created penalties, it keeps you in the game when you arent playing well.
Despite what people may wish for you can't play "the wasps way" without it, it leads to errors, knock ons and forced passes like we saw today when Charlie tried his best to make it happen.

Penalties in favour of the opposition!

We could have won it without the set piece today.
Our scrum wasn’t particularly bad at all today. Bristol defended our maul well but we could never really pursue that further as we knocked on before we could force penalties through momentum allowing us to kick to the corner again.

Didn’t Lee also mention that he wanted us to be a skilful team?

Did you watch the first half, every Bristol point came from scrum penalties even when the rest of their play was poor!

I’d have to check it back, but that potentially was two pens leading to their 10 points?
We also won scrum penalties however but could not capitalise.

We won 1 free kick for early engagement and a penalty for a second occasion of that, both early in the second half, neither actually due to scrummaging power.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2022, 05:38:31 PM »
Scrum penalties or not, it's kind of irrelevant, because we'd have squandered possession anyway.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2022, 05:43:26 PM »
Scrum penalties or not, it's kind of irrelevant, because we'd have squandered possession anyway.

Potentially but in the knowledge that at the scrum it could have been got back!

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2022, 05:46:06 PM »
Bookies favourites but it was an abysmal performance against a very average team.

If it was an experiment to put West and Robson on the bench - it failed miserably.

Our handling was poor and we pass up on too many opportunities.

Charlie and Tom played well.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2022, 05:46:52 PM »

Scrum may be a problem, but we have many bigger problems.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2022, 05:51:14 PM »

Scrum may be a problem, but we have many bigger problems.

We do but when you can go back to your set piece for guaranteed ball or penalties while you sort out the rest that buys you time like Bristol did in the first half

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2022, 05:51:56 PM »
The difference between good sides and bad sides is that bad sides always talk about 'ifs, buts, could'ves and should'ves'. The league table ultimately is the most honest reflection of how good a side is.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2022, 05:53:18 PM »
There was ne incident that hasn’t been mentioned and worth considering.

We had a scrum penalty advantage and Tom went on one of his charges and after 20m the ref called advantage over, at which point we lost the ball.

I don’t have a problem with that call in isolation, we did get a good advantage, but how often have we seen play go on for 5 or 6 phases and teams making 20 or 30 metered and then they go back after play breaks down?

More consistency needed.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2022, 05:54:59 PM »
The difference between good sides and bad sides is that bad sides always talk about 'ifs, buts, could'ves and should'ves'. The league table ultimately is the most honest reflection of how good a side is.
Couldnt agree more

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2022, 05:55:46 PM »

We had a scrum penalty advantage and Tom went on one of his charges and after 20m the ref called advantage over, at which point we lost the ball.

I don’t have a problem with that call in isolation, we did get a good advantage, but how often have we seen play go on for 5 or 6 phases and teams making 20 or 30 metered and then they go back after play breaks down?

More consistency needed.

On ref mic Dickson said it was a clear line break which is why he called it over, he told Joe when he queried consistency that he had done similar against Bristol in the first half twice

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2022, 05:59:06 PM »

More consistency needed.

On ref mic Dickson said it was a clear line break which is why he called it over, he told Joe when he queried consistency that he had done similar against Bristol in the first half twice
Ref mic wasn’t clear on my feed so didn’t catch that.

My point about consistency was more across refs. I’m in no way trying to blame him, I thought he had a reasonable game and I liked the way he pinged Potter for not using in the opening few minutes, a good way to set the tone

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2022, 06:00:16 PM »
Seriously big problems, we lack so much confidence, but I don’t understand why Lee isn’t telling the players to Stop trying to do unnecessary offloads with such high risk. It happens every single week.

Also don’t we miss Brad, I think it is clear now that our best back row is Brad, Tom at 8 and Jack.

Watching the Quins v Sarries game, we are going to get some real stuffings, they are miles ahead of us

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2022, 06:22:47 PM »
Seriously big problems, we lack so much confidence, but I don’t understand why Lee isn’t telling the players to Stop trying to do unnecessary offloads with such high risk. It happens every single week.

Also don’t we miss Brad, I think it is clear now that our best back row is Brad, Tom at 8 and Jack.

Watching the Quins v Sarries game, we are going to get some real stuffings, they are miles ahead of us
With Nemo on the bench.

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2022, 06:23:18 PM »
I am the eternal optimist and I saw a lot of good things today but we were overpowered up front in the set pieces and we did some really dangerous offloads when we should have just held on and gone again. Also our conversion rate when we are on their line is terrible.  I do wonder what we practice in training and that comes down to the coaches I am afraid.  I think we have the players except for the power point and with the right coaching could be a much better team.