Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Bristol: Post Match Thoughts.  (Read 2756 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps v Bristol: Post Match Thoughts.
« on: September 17, 2022, 05:00:38 PM »
Elliot Stooke in commentary today called it best.....'I am speechless'.

A comedy of errors

So much good and so much bad.

Where and how in the world do you start to dissect that. There was some really lovely stuff today, we were getting over the gain line, Tom Willis was absolutely immense. Barbeary worked hard, Cruise was solid, MacDonald and Launchers look great in the second row. Crossdale was an absolute threat with ball in hand.

But 18 handling errors! 18!!!.....I will say it once more.......

18!!!

It would be laughable, but this has cost us massively, 0 points.

Rugby is based upon small margins, but sometimes a litany of small margins cause big consequences.

Fair play to Bristol, under the pump. But did their homework and hit us hard. 2 first phase tries going through the 12-15 channels exposed the lack of unity and understanding in the back line. The backs look better, but they have a long long way to travel if we are hoping to get into the Champions cup next year. Big question marks also exist over our wide defence, it is porous and needs fixing.

Flats puts it best at the end of the game. "Wasps were miles off in terms of accuracy, concentration and execution".

2 games, 1 point. And to be fair none of us can say we deserve anything more.

If these 2 rounds do not serve as a rocket to our lads then nothing will.

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Bristol: Post Match Thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 05:09:12 PM »
Bristol were no more than average. Though their defence close to their line was immense. However we kept playing into their hands by trying to batter our way over the line. Suck them in and then after 3 or 4 phases, stretch them by going wide.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 05:17:46 PM »
Which was achieved a number of times, only for the ball to be dropped.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 05:21:57 PM by Bloke in North Dorset »

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2022, 05:18:10 PM »
Performances like that are not going to entice fans to come back.

Cannot fault the endeavour but skill level in handling is woeful.

We had the possession to win the game which is the frustrating thing.

What does Lee do now?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 05:20:48 PM »
Can someone tell me what a trick cyclist can do to stop us dropping the ball so often????
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 05:42:46 PM »
This leaves big questions to be answered about a coaching set up that has overseen no general improvement in performances over the last three seasons and a side that is going backwards. The handling errors and lack of phases and sustained pressure isn't becoming of professional players and a premiership side, and if performances like today are going to be the norm, then the bottom two will be us and Worcester (if their fortunes don't change).

We've let too much quality and experience go over the last couple of seasons which is beginning to show - it could be entirely budgetary or partly Lee's decisions, but the scary thought for me is that exciting talent like the Willis brothers, Alfie, even Atkinson, may start thinking they need to go elsewhere to realise their full potential in a quality set up with quality coaches. The same could be said for more experienced players such as Brad, Launchers and Robbo.

Regardless of player availability, a Prem side shouldn't be so devoid of fundamental skills and nous like we were today. The difference was Bristol got all the important bits right and we got them all wrong and there are no excuses.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2022, 06:35:58 PM »
If we were a football team, I think we would be starting to say that Lee has lost the dressing room.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2022, 06:36:37 PM »
Andy, if we can cut out the handling errors and not drop the ball so often, then phases and sustained pressure will happen.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2022, 06:50:16 PM »
Andy, if we can cut out the handling errors and not drop the ball so often, then phases and sustained pressure will happen.

The problem is we’ve been doing for 2 years now, so it is a rather large If. All poor teams are about If’s

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2022, 06:52:25 PM »

The problem is we’ve been doing for 2 years now, so it is a rather large If. All poor teams are about If’s

+1. Think it's now time for a change. We can't keep making excuses.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2022, 07:15:28 PM »

+1. Think it's now time for a change. We can't keep making excuses.

I know it's bad to watch. 2 games in to the season. What would you do? Let's have some constructive criticism.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2022, 07:27:47 PM »
OK. Constructive criticism. 1) Start your best SH. 2) Coach clever kicks, occasional dinks, rather than unimaginative punts straight to the opposition. 3) Play your best 8 at 8. 4) Coach catching the ball. 5) Please get a winger on the pitch who is a threat 6) Don’t pick on reputation alone 7) Please coach the miracle offload out of all players and 8) Pratice catching the ball some more.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2022, 07:30:19 PM »
I know it's bad to watch. 2 games in to the season. What would you do? Let's have some constructive criticism.

I think we've been good at developing individuals, but team cohesion is just... Off. I think the attack is poor and very inconsistent, our confidence is gone as well.

I really don't know how to improve this team, but just don't think Lee's the guy to do it. I really wanted him to succeed, but after 2 poor seasons and now this season start, he's giving me the impression he doesn't know what he's doing.

I think in particular after last week, you'd expect a reaction. There wasn't one. There's no sense of urgency. We won't get top 8 and never getting anywhere near top 4.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2022, 07:32:02 PM »
Just got home from that. The drive was exceedingly quiet as we all silently fizzed.

A beautiful day when they could have put right some of last week's second half failings. However against a not very good Bristol team that was a dire dire performance.  The sad thing is you could see most were trying but failing stupidly time after time.

What needs to happen now. Changing coaches after the season has started has little chance of happening (plus nobody would touch us until the finances are fixed). During pre-season we saw passing practice being rammed into the players but there are too many fumbles by most of them. God knows what happens from hereon. Improvement please and no Alfie at 8. Tom was immense when he dropped back to his natural position.

Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2022, 07:34:44 PM »
We could do worse than play TW at 8, JW at 6 and Nemo at 8. Alfie later as an impact player.