Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Monday Morning Mull.  (Read 1831 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Monday Morning Mull.
« on: September 19, 2022, 09:59:00 AM »
The ratings -well Bobby's - are in, the match reports written, the post-match interviews complete, emotions tempered (somewhat) and views now look ahead to Friday night against Bath.

This is rapidly becoming an acid test for Lee and his coaches. One cannot deny that the building blocks are in place. Time together, training facilities right up there as some of the best available. But something is not clicking.

We can look to player turnover. Malaki, Gopps, Young Young leaving. However, were they really pulling up trees last season? The academy is starting to bear fruit, and that will take a few seasons to start establishing that conveyor belt of talent that will benefit us so much. But there is a core of players and leaders in this squad that should be doing better. To give up a 21-point lead one week, and then have a complete skill failure the next with over 20 turnovers of possession and 18 knock on's is a worry. In the premiership you give up chances and possession at your peril. 1 point from a possible 10 is fair reflection.

Catch, pass, kick. These should be part of the natural rhythm of any rugby player at this level, we are having to learn that all over. Last season was a worry in all 3, and it is still a headache today. Is this due to many years of mindless kick tennis, possibly. What should be an art form - accurate box kicking, kicking for touch to win the territory battle, catching a high ball rather than mindlessly slapping it back (sometimes) - has been gradually eroded. Rather than performed with the guile of an artists stroke of the brush it is more akin to a finger painting.

Lee is a nice guy, and we have a nice team. But look to your teams that garner success. Leicester with a Martin Johnson and recently Genge. Us with a certain LBND. Bath with Stuart Barnes. You need a rock, someone that carries an aura not only that reverberates around the training ground and changing room, but can also diminish even the most fervent opposition and their support. Add in a Soupcon of a coach like a Gatland, Edwards, Cockerill or a Borthwick who not only lead but inspire those to run through brick walls then you have a formula that a sport like rugby really needs. Would they tolerate one of their key lieutenants going off on a sojourn as we have with Mitchell and missing a whole preseason? I think we all know that answer. We need leaders on and off the field who are more likely to challenge you to an arm wrestle than shake your hand.

This Monday we sit at a crossroads, we are behind the 8 ball when we look towards at least 8 other teams in this league. It is not something that will change overnight, yet Friday has gained extra importance. Bath are, like us, struggling to find their own recipe for success, it is a battle at the bottom. This has become THAT moment for Lee and the lads to show us that we should be looking upwards come Saturday morning.

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 10:01:12 AM by Wombles »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Monday Morning Mull.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 10:48:51 AM »
Good post Wombles, I can identify with a lot of what you say. On the Mitchell issue I quite agree. It feels like he’s just keeping his hand in whilst freely jetting off to cricket or Japan etc. It just sends the wrong message. Playing wise it’s a complete conundrum to which personally I could offer a few reasons but to be honest I just don’t know what’s going on. We struggled with basic skills v Bears but those same skills were on show for half of the Glaws game. I think we were trying too hard v Bears. You look at the stats and it’s a comfortable win but we lost as we are snatching at things and forcing things. We then go to when we weren’t doing that v Glaws and we blew up due to losing our heads as things turned. I watch Launchbury and he is one of the best second rows in the game - no doubt about it. But he can’t take the team by the scruff of the neck mid game. It’s just not him. We are, as you say, a ‘nice’ team. That’s why I like Cardall so much - he has that snarl. We’re currently in a horrible position which is finding ways to lose. To counter all of that I do think (know) we have excellent players and equally I think one win could lift the pressure cooker feeling and see us do well this season. But we do need to change a few things. Blackett must realise he can’t please all of the squad all the time - which has resulted in him picking the wrong back row in my opinion. I don’t think Mitchell is adding much and won’t be cheap and the players have got to find a way of just playing rather than tensing up and snatching at things.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 11:30:03 AM »
If I were in charge at Henley, I would send the playing coaches home for the week, or give them some gardening tools and tell them to go tidy some hedges on site. Tell the lads to get out on the pitch and have fun as training, then do the same for game day. No coaches at the game, just genuine water boys/girls and medics.

What have we got to lose? We could not play worse than that last game even if we planned to.

Let the lads pick the team as well, and let the on field 'captain' decide on replacements. Going old school.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 11:52:15 AM »
I get where you are coming from NWW. I do think it could all be stripped back a bit. I often wonder, for instance, what a skills coach does? Don’t you just acquire the necessary skills by playing the game? I can get my head around head coach, attack and defence but the rest I’m not sure. I guess the comparison you are drawing is a Quins like scenario when Gustatd left. The only observation I’d make there is that my perception is that we have less natural leaders on the pitch.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 12:17:12 PM »
I get where you are coming from NWW. I do think it could all be stripped back a bit. I often wonder, for instance, what a skills coach does? Don’t you just acquire the necessary skills by playing the game? I can get my head around head coach, attack and defence but the rest I’m not sure. I guess the comparison you are drawing is a Quins like scenario when Gustatd left. The only observation I’d make there is that my perception is that we have less natural leaders on the pitch.

I think it is not obvious that we have such leaders on the pitch. But, look at all the guys who have set up other businesses. Do you think they lack that drive and determination? I suspect that on pitch voices are muted by the coaches. Top tier rugby is being micro managed like the roundball game is. I would argue that is wrong headed, misunderstanding the dynamics of the team and the game.

Coaches should be there to help players get the best out of themselves, not to tell them how and where to play.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 04:54:28 PM »
Coaches are best when they set their team to manage the challenges that arise throughout the game. Half time can focus on reinforcing messages, motivation and guidance. But all the hours on the training field, selection of the squad and development of leaders should lead the way during the game.

Is the analysis staff with day in day out information, coaches/players as water boys resulting in micromanagement overload that is coaching instinct, independent thought, action and deed out of the game to the detriment of players ability to function as an individual and a team? Rugby is at its best when played for the simple joys that we all did when we first picked up the oval ball at our local club. A coach who can do the above whilst keeping that simple joy of why we all play the game rather than choke the life out of the sport through over-analysis and autocratic leadership may find success more easier to come by. 

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 05:05:23 PM »
coaches/players as water boys

No longer allowed this season, I think, Wombles.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 06:37:12 PM »
I guess we would all be very happy if the first half performance at Gloucester had continued for the whole game. So what went so badly wrong in the second half?
I saw just the highlights of the Bristol game on BT Sport but what was interesting was a set of statistics which showed we were generally better than BRISTOL - possession etc. Did anyone see the same and can add other stats?
Whatever the coaching question, the answer is not Mitchell. He has been with us twice without seeming to have the answers and now he is following EJ and earning more money in Japan.
Difficult to get a new DOR. Maybe offer a role to the forwards coach at Jersey - lost his name for the moment.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 07:03:17 PM »
I guess we would all be very happy if the first half performance at Gloucester had continued for the whole game. So what went so badly wrong in the second half?
I saw just the highlights of the Bristol game on BT Sport but what was interesting was a set of statistics which showed we were generally better than BRISTOL - possession etc. Did anyone see the same and can add other stats?
Whatever the coaching question, the answer is not Mitchell. He has been with us twice without seeming to have the answers and now he is following EJ and earning more money in Japan.
Difficult to get a new DOR. Maybe offer a role to the forwards coach at Jersey - lost his name for the moment.

Steve Diamond might be looking for a job soon :o
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2022, 07:11:08 PM »
The stats are one thing. I was at the game and it was very simple - we just made mistake after mistake. Mostly handling, some kicking and some discipline. We tried endless miracle offloads and generally got into good situations and failed to capitalise due to our mistakes. Bristol did not have to do much to win.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2022, 08:17:06 PM »
The stats are one thing. I was at the game and it was very simple - we just made mistake after mistake. Mostly handling, some kicking and some discipline. We tried endless miracle offloads and generally got into good situations and failed to capitalise due to our mistakes. Bristol did not have to do much to win.

Agreed
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2022, 09:29:22 PM »
I am afraid there have been rose glasses about the backs for a while, at least in these parts.
Spink has been hailed as a great up and coming player. Whilst everyone has off days, he was abysmal. Jacob is either a super talent who needs time or a total disaster, depending on who you believe. Had he been playing, he would have had the focus, I am glad he missed the horror show. Porter is the superb off the bench replacement  or dramatic step down from for the wonderful Dobby, who is the best 9 in England or a woefully out of form wet weekend in Bournemouth.  And so on. Bottom line is, whilst Robson is outstanding, or at least was until 6 months ago, nome of the rest are proven, bar Bassett who is reliable if unfrightening.  Most teams will field better backs as a whole week on week. If you want something from nothing players, well he signed for Racing last week. This weekend it was Crossdale's turn to look good. Next weekend Mills or Atkinson again. But then one back sparkling won't finish those breaks.

All our strength is in the back row, and yet it often looks unbalanced. I know the old maxim about forwards winning games, but take away LRZ last week and we win. Could make a similar argument this week as Bris' backs looked super throughout.

Ultimately we couldn't catch herpes in a brothel this week, it happens. However, I think we are lacking in game plan and identity, and that stops with Lee.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2022, 05:05:11 AM »
Mull is very nice when sunny!
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2022, 08:08:59 AM »