Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Where are we now?  (Read 1503 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Where are we now?
« on: September 20, 2022, 11:52:21 AM »
Wasps director Lawrence Dallaglio has revealed that the club's financial future will be "much brighter" in the next few days as their season gets under way at Gloucester on Sunday.

This was the report in the Telegraph on September 7th.

The word 'imminent' was has also been quoted.

It is now the 20th.

What duration does word 'imminent' infer? How long is a piece of string seeems to be appropriate at the moment.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Where are we now?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 12:08:40 PM »
To most normal mortals, imminent means, at worst, a day or two, in this scenario.

To Wasps, it means within the next 12 months.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 12:16:00 PM »
It’s quite possible events in between have disrupted the timings.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 03:47:56 PM »
LBND mentioned on BT that 7 Clubs were 'up for sale', this comes a short while after Jim Hamilton and Flats recorded a Podcast chatting about mainly the financial side of Premiership Rugby and he said something about Wasps being up for sale.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 04:17:36 PM »
LBND mentioned on BT that 7 Clubs were 'up for sale', this comes a short while after Jim Hamilton and Flats recorded a Podcast chatting about mainly the financial side of Premiership Rugby and he said something about Wasps being up for sale.

That is a potential concern. Who would want to buy the club, given the woeful state of it's finances?

It would need someone with a philanthropic approach - Jim Ratcliffe would be a good choice if that was the case!!!!! He does not mind pouring money into cycling and Ben Ainslie.

Wasps Grenadiers anyone? !!!!!!!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 04:21:26 PM »
Please No.  Not again  Keep Derek. Please tell me I mis-read that.  Or it's just another rumour.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 04:37:25 PM »
I'd imagine most sports clubs are for sale for the right financial offer but in the cases of some of the better owners more importantly that right financial offer would also need to be from the right people for the club.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 04:42:28 PM »

That is a potential concern. Who would want to buy the club, given the woeful state of it's finances?

It would need someone with a philanthropic approach - Jim Ratcliffe would be a good choice if that was the case!!!!! He does not mind pouring money into cycling and Ben Ainslie.

Jim would make an excellent owner, although Land Rover might not be so pleased!!

Good choice for him as the Grenadier starts production and marketing becomes a big thing for them.

He has a LOT of money, and puts his money where his mouth is. As an individual, he is very likeable and down to earth. He is also a big sports fan.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2022, 04:43:52 PM »
He could buy CCFC and Wasps  ;D

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 08:32:25 PM »
He could buy CCFC and Wasps  ;D

I recall he was touted as interested in buying another footie club recently. A small team, more famous in the past when they had players like George Best and Bobby Charlton. Not sure which league they are in now.

He also owns Lausanne-Sport football club in Switzerland, and OGC Nice football club.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 08:41:37 AM »

Jim would make an excellent owner, although Land Rover might not be so pleased!!

Good choice for him as the Grenadier starts production and marketing becomes a big thing for them.

He has a LOT of money, and puts his money where his mouth is. As an individual, he is very likeable and down to earth. He is also a big sports fan.

I have a very different view of Jim Radcliffe

Other than the fact he has lots of money I don't see much trust.

Big Brexit supporter, he is now based outside the UK following brexit.
"We will make the Grenadier in Wales", now planned to be made in France.
He has moved all his affairs offshore removing hundreds of millions from the UK taxman.

When it comes to integrity, he wouldn't pass the test IMHO.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 09:21:50 AM »
Doesn't look good to announce something is happening in a "few days" and weeks later it hasn't.
Can't honestly see that the queen dying should make any difference. Something needs to happen this week I think for any credibility to be maintained.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 09:59:05 AM »
I really don't want to see anyone other than Derek as owner.  He's poured so much time, money, and emotion into this club and I really want to see it start to give him a return on that.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 10:28:37 AM »
I really don't want to see anyone other than Derek as owner.  He's poured so much time, money, and emotion into this club and I really want to see it start to give him a return on that.

100% agree

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 10:54:06 AM »
Plus 3