Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps facing relegation  (Read 66871 times)

BrackenandMacken

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps facing relegation
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2022, 10:03:31 PM »
The other thing is that someone interested in premiership football ownership can afford to run a rugby club without blinking.

A high number of premiership footballers earn more than £100k per week.
That £100k per week is essentially the entire annual salary cap for a rugby club.

If SISU weren't an absolute nightmare to deal with I imagine the potential of owning Wasps and CCFC would be appealing to certain people.

You get a premier league level ground, an area with fantastic footballing academy talent, you get to split the running costs with the rugby club and you would do away with al ot of the bad blood between the two clubs.

If only!

That would be my days as a Wasps fan finished.

Any owner, or SISU?

I'd certainly not be against a joint owner, but wouldn't fancy SISU. However CCFC is up for sale I believe, so a joint owner coming in could be beneficial.

Should have been clear, not SISU buy wasps, but a new owner buy both.

Absolute fantasy land but if you were wanting to buy a football club with a view to getting them to the premier league CCFC must be tempting, you then take on Wasps to get the stadium and split the operating costs.

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2022, 10:04:36 PM »
Lead story on Midlands Today tonight

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2022, 10:08:20 PM »
You get a premier league level ground, an area with fantastic footballing academy talent, you get to split the running costs with the rugby club and you would do away with al ot of the bad blood between the two clubs.

If only!

Again, last statement is so pertinent.

The relationship between the 2 clubs is probably as broken as it could possibly be.
The majority of fans on either side mostly hate the others' owners. There seems to be a minority of fans who hate each other, but that probably stems from individual bickering rather than the issue at hand.

So, a joint owner between the 2 clubs is potentially the only way to mend it.

But as VV has suggested, I couldn't see myself supporting Wasps owned by SISU.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2022, 10:12:42 PM »
that statement sounds quite positive but we've heard loads of positive things over the last few years & the last few months, none of which have turned out to be true. I hope there's a solution out there but we can't keep being told there's light at the end of the tunnel when the tunnel never seems to end.
stop telling us there's a solution just around the corner & actually deliver it!

Absolutely. This is the rub.

Beckenham Bandit

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2022, 10:22:22 PM »
Looks like my doom mongering all those years might be coming true. Very sad. Haven't been a Wasps supporters since the 2017 final though and have never been to Coventry.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2022, 10:27:48 PM »
Oh my God !!     Lazarus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2022, 10:30:20 PM »
Looks like my doom mongering all those years might be coming true. Very sad. Haven't been a Wasps supporters since the 2017 final though and have never been to Coventry.

And yet here you are.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2022, 10:32:15 PM »
That is a shame. I respect those who did not buy into the move, I would like to say that it is not a question of being proved right or wrong, just a question of whether you view Wasps s geographical or not. Personally geography mattered little to me- I am English and live in Wales, it is all miles to me. I loved the galactico era- though the real galacticos were home grown - Wadey remains my favourite Wasp, and fiver was sublime. I also loved the newbies coming through. Willises et al. have been heart warming. I would loved to have stayed at AP, but recognised we needed to.own it.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2022, 10:33:14 PM »
Might be coming true. Might not.

Beckenham Bandit

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2022, 10:33:56 PM »

Ha ha. Glad I am so fondly remembered. Now a Blackheath fan. Better National 2 than bust.

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2022, 10:36:44 PM »
Not being hugely knowledgeable about these kind of things, is there any possibility this is a move by Wasps as a rugby club to extricate itself from ownership of the stadium? It seems a bit of a coincidence that CCFC are up for sale - if they had an interested party prepared to buy the football club then surely they would want the stadium as part of the package?

Wasps could then use the stadium sale to refinance the bonds and pay HMRC, locate the club at Henley and ground share at the CBS or Sixways. Or go so far as to merge with Worcester.

I suppose there will be plenty to conjecture over the coming days, hopefully without any more ‘Mission accomplished’ statements from Lol..

Beckenham Bandit

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2022, 10:37:58 PM »
That is a shame. I respect those who did not buy into the move, I would like to say that it is not a question of being proved right or wrong, just a question of whether you view Wasps s geographical or not. Personally geography mattered little to me- I am English and live in Wales, it is all miles to me. I loved the galactico era- though the real galacticos were home grown - Wadey remains my favourite Wasp, and fiver was sublime. I also loved the newbies coming through. Willises et al. have been heart warming. I would loved to have stayed at AP, but recognised we needed to.own it.

I always maintained that the organic finances of the professional club meant it should be playing in National 1 at Twyford Avenue. That was a consistent position. The move to Coventry was always fraught with danger and risk.

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2022, 10:40:07 PM »

Ha ha. Glad I am so fondly remembered. Now a Blackheath fan. Better National 2 than bust.

There’s me hoping you’d returned to announce you’d won Euromillions and were buying the club..

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2022, 10:44:13 PM »
Well waking up to this this morning in Asia has not been the greatest start to the day.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2022, 10:46:34 PM »
There was me thinking the day couldn't get any worse and Beckenham turns up to gloat  tell us all he told us so.....

Thanks for that Becks, hope this makes you feel better