Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps facing relegation  (Read 66893 times)

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps facing relegation
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2022, 12:16:09 PM »
Thanks Rossm.  The HMRC element is an interesting one.  Wonder if they're being militant, or we've been taking the piss.

SteveTodd

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2022, 12:21:30 PM »
Not clear on the source of this, so take with a pinch of salt - But copied from the ADVFN Board discussing the Wasps Bond:

"From this morning's meeting: So, as we know, Wasps players and staff were called to a 9am meeting this morning to discuss the club's situation. We understand this lasted around 20 minutes and people were told the club was in advanced talks and things will move fast with the next step - with the overall tone being a 'hopeful' one. But there is a waiting game to be played. There was a feeling relayed that HMRC's issuing of a winding-up order came as a surprise. There's no suggestion at all that the game against Bath will not go ahead, and training is continuing as normal today before the group travels south for Friday night's game at The Rec."

I was the one who posted that on ADVNF, it was from the Coventry Telegraph: https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-live-administration-latest-bath-25078505

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2022, 12:35:42 PM »
From Bobby re. this morning's meeting.

We understand this lasted around 20 minutes and people were told the club was in advanced talks and things will move fast with the next step - with the overall tone being a 'hopeful' one. But there is a waiting game to be played.

There was a feeling relayed that HMRC's issuing of a winding-up order came as a surprise.

In my experience no deal ever gets done before the last minute. Perhaps HMRC are fed up of the messing about and want to force everyone’s hand?

hopwood

« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2022, 03:29:04 PM »
... why should they support a poorly run club

I stopped going to the Ricoh (as it was then) when both my brother and dad found it too difficult to come, leaving me on my own. When in big crowds and busy places, I need someone with me in case I melt down, someone who will calm me and take me to a quiet, dark room. It has not happened that I have needed it at a game, but I have changed my life to minimise such events (my last melt down was at home a few weeks ago).

The problem is that the club is now more than ever, but even a few years ago, run on a shoestring budget and is simply under-resourced. Even the best intentioned people cannot run it well under these circumstances, and the people at Wasps are super nice folk.

Sending you warm wishes Nelly.
That must be difficult to live with. I feel for you.

hopwood

« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2022, 03:45:35 PM »
Lansdown taking a bit of a swipe at "disappointing" CVC in light of Wasps' and Worcester's plight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/62992223

If, as seems inevitable, Worcester follow Wasps down the administration route, PRL may be reluctant to relegate both, and would surely be unable to relegate one without the other.  If and when that particular precedent is set, then I wonder how many other clubs will follow suit without fear of relegation.

Lansdown isn't wrong, from my perspective it looks like all CVC have done is bought a stake in the Prem, I don't see that they have done anything to grow the product.

We as rugby fans, have to take a look at ourselves and challenge our own entrenched opinions and beliefs.
I know there were many of us that were hugely sceptical when CVC crowbarred their way into rugby, worried that it would all become about money and that they would meddle too much in something we all loved.
Well now some people are complaining that they haven't got involved enough.

So I think there's some learning there and a harsh reality for all us fans.
When rugby does get its house in order - in whatever shape, size or razzmatazz that is - we need to support it.
Otherwise, through a lack of inertia and incoming law suits, we could really see the demise of the game.

There's going to have to be an influx of new ideas to capture the younger generations...otherwise, the sport could die out with the older generation of fans it has.
So, we as fans, need to become much more open-minded to new initiatives and creativity...before it's too late.
We have a collective responsibility to find ways to sustain the game....and not simply complain from our keyboards.

I hope the higher echelons of rugby tap into the loyal, diehard fans and their ideas.
Create a place to allow us to pool ideas.

Ultimately, rugby is about community and coming together.
And some French and Irish clubs (slightly different culture and setup in both society and sport) have a good template.
Other clubs around the world need to learn and share ideas amongst themselves.
Otherwise, in a decade or two...rugby really might sink down the plug hole.

We all need to play a part, however big or small, in the future of the game.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2022, 04:14:06 PM »
The fact is the teams costs too much to run based on their revenues and the fans don't pay enough for the product to make it viable. This board is full of people always looking for a free stream or paying the foreign market rate via a VPN to watch the local product. How do you increase revenues when everyone wants it for free?

Even the RFU, the richest union in the world, that makes more money per home game than it should know what to do with nearly bankrupted itself over spending on Twickenham development plans.

The sport is doomed, and that's before the court cases for long term injury. Then the whole sport will call in the administrators.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2022, 04:28:19 PM »
The sport is doomed

By what you've said there surely ALL professional sport would be doomed? Football, the most marketable sport in the world, is spending hugely above its means, Man Utd, probably one of the most valuable football clubs made a £115m loss !!
I can't think of any professional sport that is flush with cash, or ever really has been, except perhaps F1...

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2022, 04:33:40 PM »
This board is full of people always looking for a free stream or paying the foreign market rate via a VPN to watch the local product. How do you increase revenues when everyone wants it for free?

I'd just like to point out that if you pay a foreign streamer, then indirectly you will still be paying PRL, as the stream you subscribe to, will be rented from PRL. I am one of those who do this. I have always paid over the several years that I have been watching streamed rugby. I started doing this with Rugbypass as I could watch every Wasps' game live. I didn't have to pay either Sky and/or BT. I don't want to pay for other sports such as football that are included in their expensive subscription packages. I only want to watch rugby and nothing else. I would abandon my foreign stream if PRTV showed all games, rather than just the ones that are not being broadcast by Sky or BT. Yes, I do save myself some money.  FWIW. I have never used a 'free' stream, particularly the one that comes out of Russia.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2022, 04:35:32 PM »
Of course the sport isn’t doomed. That really is a bit sensationalist. It may change/adapt/re-model but it’s certainly not doomed.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2022, 04:45:36 PM »
I'd just like to point out that if you pay a foreign streamer, then indirectly you will still be paying PRL, as the stream you subscribe to, will be rented from PRL.

The sport prices differently for different markets. Is that fair? Maybe not, but circumventing that model is depriving the sport of money, not adding to it. I happen to agree with you on almost all your points about wanting a non-BT/SKY option that enables paying for Rugby, not football. I hoped that was what CVC injecting money would enable, sadly until the current agreed TV deal expires it can't, in the UK market. Maybe it will be possible in the next TV rights cycle?

As for the "sensationalist" use of the word doomed. If those court cases get traction and aren't summarily dismissed it is just that. The sport has no money, any finding against it will be terminal.

There just isn't the never ending line of rich idiots that there are in football looking to lose a fortune. I thought we'd found a different model, should have just found a richer idiot.

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2022, 04:46:45 PM »
Lwasp I don't want it for free, I would gladly pay Wasps for a stream even if I could get one for free but a Wasps stream does not exist, I subscribe to BT but they only show a few Wasps games and I resent paying PRTV £5 knowing Wasps probably get zero, that's why I look for alternative streams. 

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2022, 04:51:40 PM »
This board is full of people always looking for a free stream or paying the foreign market rate via a VPN to watch the local product. How do you increase revenues when everyone wants it for free?

I'd just like to point out that if you pay a foreign streamer, then indirectly you will still be paying PRL, as the stream you subscribe to, will be rented from PRL. I am one of those who do this. I have always paid over the several years that I have been watching streamed rugby. I started doing this with Rugbypass as I could watch every Wasps' game live. I didn't have to pay either Sky and/or BT. I don't want to pay for other sports such as football that are included in their expensive subscription packages. I only want to watch rugby and nothing else. I would abandon my foreign stream if PRTV showed all games, rather than just the ones that are not being broadcast by Sky or BT. Yes, I do save myself some money.  FWIW. I have never used a 'free' stream, particularly the one that comes out of Russia.

I would also add that it's regularly stated here that people would love to pay Wasps for a WaspsTV type subscription.

The majority of fans aren't against paying to watch rugby. Most are against paying for the other stuff they won't watch offered by sky etc.

Admittedly, I have more subscriptions for TV and sport than I care to think about.... But there's still a lot of games that it wasn't possible to watch

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2022, 04:54:05 PM »
Lwasp I don't want it for free, I would gladly pay Wasps for a stream even if I could get one for free but a Wasps stream does not exist, I subscribe to BT but they only show a few Wasps games and I resent paying PRTV £5 knowing Wasps probably get zero, that's why I look for alternative streams.

Some money must get to wasps otherwise clubs wouldn’t have agreed to it.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2022/09/22/premiership-rugby-and-united-rugby-championship-strengthen-dtc-business-with-pti-digital-deal/

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2022, 05:17:42 PM »
Match days have got to be more then the match. I want to be entertained before and after the game.

Why does the Twickenham matches get 80,000 with most tickets selling over a hundred pounds. I’m going twice to Twickenham in the autumn because the whole day is fun. I get to Twickenham 2 hours before k/o have a drink, eat something, a live band normally playing, it’s fun.

Do we have players speaking in the arena before the game, is there a live band. Easy access to a good selection of food and drinks. I want access to players who are not playing, chatting before the game.

I’m sorry but Sarries have caused a lot of what is going on, but smashing the salary cap and paying players £650,000 a year. Rugby can’t afford that.

I’m happy to pay wasps a tv subscription, I’m happy to pay good money for it. Especially if it had more news about Wasps. 

What I don’t want to do is drive to Coventry find it difficult to get a drink have no pre game entertainment, watch a team with half the top players not playing in it, that has got to stop

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2022, 05:40:32 PM »
I go to Wasps to watch the game. Not really bothered about anything else.