Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps facing relegation  (Read 66888 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps facing relegation
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2022, 05:43:47 PM »
Certainly, I'd happily pay Wasps direct rather than stream from overseas so as to watch all Wasps games live. Unfortunately because of infirmity and distance (nearly 400 miles round trip from Hastings to Coventry) it is impossible for me to attend the CBSA.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2022, 05:56:07 PM »

As for matchday experience, that'd be different for different people

When I used to have a season ticket, I'd often get food elsewhere before the game, but maybe arrive a bit early, soak up some atmosphere in the fan village if there was one.
See some friends, maybe hear from non playing players with Kirky.
But after the game, I was straight off to get home.
It was mostly about the match, other stuff was a nice to have

Now that I have young kids and have had to give up my season ticket, if I went to a game, I'd really appreciate something family oriented happening before the game, like they often ran in the fan village.
I.e. something that a kid would remember and enjoy even if they weren't too bothered about the match itself

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2022, 06:04:11 PM »
I go to Wasps to watch the game. Not really bothered about anything else.

Same with a 4 plus hour round trip if roads are kind maybe get some chips plus and a tea. Straight off afterwards.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2022, 06:06:43 PM »
I go to Wasps to watch the game. Not really bothered about anything else.

Fine if that’s what you want, but you are hard core supporters, we need more supporters. obviously for a lot of people that isn’t enough, especially if half the team is missing. I want to watch the best players playing
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 06:08:39 PM by Westy68 »

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2022, 06:07:50 PM »
Rugby needs to heed the words of Mr Micawber:

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery."

It's that simple.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2022, 06:11:55 PM »
I certainly don’t think we need to get into anyone justifying what they do re attendance/watching etc - entirely up to the individual. I am a little perplexed at the match day bit. Personally I find it very easy to get a pint and some food if I want it - in a very nice environment. It’s patently obvious that some of the matchday bells and whistles have had to go due to the financial strain. The club have stated they will look at this. But they can’t work miracles. They’ve probably been doing that just to keep us going. Time to stick with them.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2022, 06:48:56 PM »
The words of Mr Micawber are simple right up until the point the Sarries accountant closes the blinds, dims the lights and in a sinister tone utters, "Now, what would you like the accounts to show?"

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2022, 06:53:52 PM »
I'm another who would happily pay for a Wasps TV streaming service.

Also a match is a day out for me, its 2-3 hours in both directions, and the fan village was always part of the experience. The kids getting face paint, and me pretending I didn't want to so they could "make" me. My daughter meeting the Netball team, grabbing some food, another oversized foam hand, the whole thing.

I'm happy to come for just the rugby, but I'm far less likely to if the kids don't get the festival experience, because they don't want to.

That's what makes Twickers work so well whether it's an international or a domestic game. Walking towards the stadium and grabbing a burger on the way, looking for faces I know in the crowd, searching out people that have the same shirt as me, feeling the excitement in the air.

If we can't recreate that at the CBS it is never going to attract much un the way of new support. If we only cater to the diehard fans, we are on a downhill slope to an empty ground.

Of course we need to keep hold of the arena first I guess so the rest of it is moot.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2022, 07:09:44 PM »
This board is full of people always looking for a free stream or paying the foreign market rate via a VPN to watch the local product. How do you increase revenues when everyone wants it for free?

I'd just like to point out that if you pay a foreign streamer, then indirectly you will still be paying PRL, as the stream you subscribe to, will be rented from PRL. I am one of those who do this. I have always paid over the several years that I have been watching streamed rugby. I started doing this with Rugbypass as I could watch every Wasps' game live. I didn't have to pay either Sky and/or BT. I don't want to pay for other sports such as football that are included in their expensive subscription packages. I only want to watch rugby and nothing else. I would abandon my foreign stream if PRTV showed all games, rather than just the ones that are not being broadcast by Sky or BT. Yes, I do save myself some money.  FWIW. I have never used a 'free' stream, particularly the one that comes out of Russia.

I would also add that it's regularly stated here that people would love to pay Wasps for a WaspsTV type subscription.

The majority of fans aren't against paying to watch rugby. Most are against paying for the other stuff they won't watch offered by sky etc.

Admittedly, I have more subscriptions for TV and sport than I care to think about.... But there's still a lot of games that it wasn't possible to watch
+1

hopwood

« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2022, 07:31:11 PM »
In the old days we used to get accessibility to the players after the match.
That used to create a very loyal fan following, because you got to relate to them as fellow human beings.
Got to see their character.

I understand the game has become more professional, but that interaction hasn’t necessarily been replaced in regards to match day experience.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2022, 08:00:10 PM »
The words of Mr Micawber are simple right up until the point the Sarries accountant closes the blinds, dims the lights and in a sinister tone utters, "Now, what would you like the accounts to show?"

ALL accountants do that for MOST businesses.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2022, 08:24:56 PM »
I'm another who would happily pay for a Wasps TV streaming service.

Also a match is a day out for me, its 2-3 hours in both directions, and the fan village was always part of the experience. The kids getting face paint, and me pretending I didn't want to so they could "make" me. My daughter meeting the Netball team, grabbing some food, another oversized foam hand, the whole thing.

I'm happy to come for just the rugby, but I'm far less likely to if the kids don't get the festival experience, because they don't want to.

That's what makes Twickers work so well whether it's an international or a domestic game. Walking towards the stadium and grabbing a burger on the way, looking for faces I know in the crowd, searching out people that have the same shirt as me, feeling the excitement in the air.

If we can't recreate that at the CBS it is never going to attract much un the way of new support. If we only cater to the diehard fans, we are on a downhill slope to an empty ground.

Of course we need to keep hold of the arena first I guess so the rest of it is moot.

Totally agree

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2022, 08:35:26 PM »

When we moved the club knew they needed to attract new fans, and quite frankly they had good ideas for achieving it.

Unfortunately, we still need that.... But it's expensive so we can't

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2022, 09:28:42 PM »
The post galactico era has not produced a single bums off seat back, bar maybe Odogwu.
I might be sick of seeing a wasp scum beaten up at times, but not as much as I am of watching people who are not Wade, WLR, Fiver,  Piatau et al dropping the *****ing ball every two minutes. Every club has a great back row player who puts people down. Tom and Jack Willis are phenomenal- but I can name plenty of other beasts in the prem who are equally breathtaking. I have never seen a winger as good as Wade in the prem. I have never seen a back line as lethal or as exciting as the fiver lead one. 
The fan village is important of course, but playing entertaining rugby is equally imprtant and Lee wants Wasps fans to be as excited by the stuff that all the top clubs do-  and I am sorry but Wasps have never been a set piece team, we may have often had great back rows but  aggressive high risk high reward defence and scinitilating lines and clever play off 10 was the Wasps way over most of the last 20 years apart from the tail end of Dai's reign. 

The Falcon

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2022, 09:47:31 PM »

When we moved the club knew they needed to attract new fans, and quite frankly they had good ideas for achieving it.

Unfortunately, we still need that.... But it's expensive so we can't

It didn't seem to extend beyond giving out an abundance of free tickets which it must be said seemed to cheapen the product. In truth it doesn't feel like there ever were more than that core of paying customers. Can't say we didn't have a favourable set of circumstances either, the council were very generous, city of culture coming at the right time etc.

Just hasn't worked out.