Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps facing relegation  (Read 66867 times)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps facing relegation
« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2022, 05:03:24 PM »
... there are a lot of Coventrians who still remember Cov’s golden years ...

I remember those days, but then they became owned by a less than stellar individual who made a real mess of things.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2022, 05:07:35 PM »
VV,
You seem to be very well-informed. What makes you feel less hopeful now?

MarleyWasp

« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2022, 06:51:26 PM »
I must admit I'm not feeling particularly hopeful about the situation any more.

The longer it takes, the less convinced I am that talks are really at an advanced stage.

I also wish Lawrence would stop talking to the media about progress. I think he's just getting people's hopes up when there's nothing to get excited about.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2022, 06:52:55 PM »

The longer it takes, the less convinced I am that talks are really at an advanced stage.

I also wish Lawrence would stop talking to the media about progress. I think he's just getting people's hopes up when there's nothing to get excited about.

Yep.
Agree with this entirely

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 03, 2022, 06:56:28 PM »

Well don’t hold your breath for updates. I’m afraid we will hear nothing while the nitty gritty discussion is happening, we’ll only hear something when it’s done.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 03, 2022, 07:13:56 PM »

Totally
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 03, 2022, 07:26:15 PM »
VV,
You seem to be very well-informed. What makes you feel less hopeful now?

It's nothing I can put my finger on. I know we were very close to sorting the whole mess out some time ago and at the last minute it fell through due to things out of our control.  But a lot of events have not worked out the way they looked like they were going to over the last few years, and mainly because I usually am fairly well informed, and right now I know nothing, I can't help but feel the way MarleyWasp does, that the longer it goes without resolution the less likely a positive resolution is.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 03, 2022, 07:47:34 PM »
Plus 3

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 03, 2022, 07:54:40 PM »
Completely off on a tangent, but you raise a really interesting topic VV. Psychologically we are hard wired to develop negative thought patterns, these cognitive distortions can lead to incorrect assumptions. Neuronal pathways that establish these are exceptionally easy to achieve, a bit like driving down the motorway in the early hours with no other cars around, except the location is normally always a undesirable outcome. One main reason is formulating opinion when not being in possession of all the information. VV you make the point really well, you are reassured when in the loop and a recipient of information, but when you are not - as in now- the your psychological hard wiring kicks in. Mind you there is always the balance to strike with that psychological ‘gut’ feeling, which is the ability to formulate an opinion by subconsciously processing and evaluating all your previous experience and knowledge to garner an answer.

Basically….

You may be right, but you may be wrong. We will only know in the fullness of time as from our perspective both outcomes are possible  ;D

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 03, 2022, 08:02:14 PM »
I don’t think the delay in and of itself is a worry. We’ll (quite rightly) only find out at the last minute. My main worry is the scale of the numbers.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 03, 2022, 10:02:22 PM »
Completely off on a tangent, but you raise a really interesting topic VV. Psychologically we are hard wired to develop negative thought patterns, these cognitive distortions can lead to incorrect assumptions. Neuronal pathways that establish these are exceptionally easy to achieve, a bit like driving down the motorway in the early hours with no other cars around, except the location is normally always a undesirable outcome. One main reason is formulating opinion when not being in possession of all the information. VV you make the point really well, you are reassured when in the loop and a recipient of information, but when you are not - as in now- the your psychological hard wiring kicks in. Mind you there is always the balance to strike with that psychological ‘gut’ feeling, which is the ability to formulate an opinion by subconsciously processing and evaluating all your previous experience and knowledge to garner an answer.

Basically….

You may be right, but you may be wrong. We will only know in the fullness of time as from our perspective both outcomes are possible  ;D

I'm always an optimist and the longer we hear nothing then the more optimistic I become. I look at it this way. Dog bites man, not news. Man bites dog, news.
If we are on the verge, then I would expect some leaks of negative information to have slipped out from the camp. All players and staff have just been paid in full. If this wasn't true then we'd have heard on social media by now. That's a plus. I guess I'm just hard wired wrong. I'm a freak then, but I've always known that. ;D ::) ;D ::)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 03, 2022, 10:32:53 PM »

Basically….

Chris, thanks for your insights on the working of the human mind. It really does make you think about the glass half full/glass half empty scenario.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 04, 2022, 08:34:32 AM »
It is fascinating Heathen, and we have barely scraped the surface in our understanding of the human brain….although -ridiculously some might say- one of the most striking things to me was how heavy the brain is! With all the complexity of the working of the brain, the fact we have ‘mapped’ it, yet we still have not truly understood it’s true potential. It was when I held one in the anatomy lab at med school it made my arms ache after a few minutes (mad isn’t it). Also it is certain events that fascinate me. An example is a previous patient of mine who had a stroke and now speaks fluent French, yet never learnt it at all throughout her life and did not know a word prior to this event!

Glass half full and half empty is an acquired skill. Some may learn it through their family as they grow (the blank slate theory). Some may be born with it, some develop it through teaching, making that conscious response to see things in a positive light (trait v state). From this you form neuronal connections that allow a more positive response. If it is a learnt behaviour, at first it takes a little longer to reach that outcome. Using the car analogy it is like taking your journey through the A and B roads. It will take longer, will need more active thought to navigate through, towns, junctions, roadworks, traffic lights, but you get to your desired destination. With the following journeys that little easier as you know when to leave, what short cuts to take to make your journey less troublesome.

My glass half full approach came not as a practitioner treating people, but as a patient. I became unwell with generalised anxiety disorder and moderate/severe post traumatic stress disorder by working in emergency medicine. My psychotherapist had to teach me this skill, and it is one I focus really hard on as it can bring true joy to, not just your life, but others around you (even if you get the ‘he’s always so positive’ jibe now and then). I still fall back a little, like before our recent game against Bath, where my worry for the club clouded my excitement of the game. But with positivity comes perspective, and to enjoy what you can. The wife and I will be at the CBS this weekend, and I truly hope our clubs outcome is good, but I will cheer the lads on for the full 80 as we have a league to try to win!  :D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 08:37:07 AM by Wombles »

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 04, 2022, 08:50:45 AM »
Chris, my wife always says that I go to the 'n' th. degree when thinking about things - too much detail!! I put that down to the fact that I trained and worked an an analytical chemist/scientist for too many years.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 04, 2022, 08:53:04 AM »
Chris - thanks for that post - having a bit of a mo' this morning (another time) I'm back on that A road.

Mike