Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps facing relegation  (Read 66879 times)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps facing relegation
« Reply #300 on: October 10, 2022, 12:16:04 PM »
If we go into admin, Coventry Council are going to take the stadium back. They've got an interested buyer (two technically if Wasps are rescued) and the rights to sell the lease again. Why would they have any interest in leaving it with Wasps?
As a council, their duty is towards VFM. And so unless they could demonstrate that their action was reasonable they might be at risk of challenge.  Their position is stronger than it was before 2010, as the local govt governance body was abolished.  This means coordinated action is less likely,  but could still fall foul  of the Dept response for LG.

But in short,  Members  at the Council have a duty towards the best financial outcomes. Leaving a lease with Wasps would need to demonstrated as compatible with duties.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 10, 2022, 01:28:07 PM »
Coventry City Council have had an excellent relationship with Wasps ever since they first showed interest in the CBS and will be doing what they can to support the club during this difficult period.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 10, 2022, 01:49:54 PM »
My understanding is that penalties can be avoided if club can demonstrate administration is directly linked to the pandemic.

Back in October '21 I went to the 'Fan Forum' at the Training Centre and Vaughan mentioned in the Q&A that the business was on to break even the year COVID hit.  There's no detail around it nor was he asked to substantiate on it during the evening.

There was (another) hefty loss that year in the accounts. 

It would be interesting to know whether by breakeven he meant not making a loss that year, or that part way through the year they were on track to be cashflow neutral/positive to have stemmed the losses and go onto the next year in a good place.

If the latter, then presumably it's demonstratable the impact that COVID had - especially when you consider a home SF for the Prem and Final at HQ (Not sure how income works for Clubs on that - do they get a top-up payment from ticket sales/tv coverage?).

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 10, 2022, 02:03:53 PM »
My understanding is that penalties can be avoided if club can demonstrate administration is directly linked to the pandemic.

Back in October '21 I went to the 'Fan Forum' at the Training Centre and Vaughan mentioned in the Q&A that the business was on to break even the year COVID hit.  There's no detail around it nor was he asked to substantiate on it during the evening.

There was (another) hefty loss that year in the accounts. 

It would be interesting to know whether by breakeven he meant not making a loss that year, or that part way through the year they were on track to be cashflow neutral/positive to have stemmed the losses and go onto the next year in a good place.

If the latter, then presumably it's demonstratable the impact that COVID had - especially when you consider a home SF for the Prem and Final at HQ (Not sure how income works for Clubs on that - do they get a top-up payment from ticket sales/tv coverage?).

It was on 2 November.
He also said to a straight question that the bonds were "sorted" as their financial advisor had placed an expert into the Arena Management to assist with putting everything in place. Maybe it was at the time or maybe an "untruth".

Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 10, 2022, 02:09:43 PM »
I wish LoL had kept his mouth shut - just got an email telling me to read all about Wasps "being too big" to relegate! Plus the vitriol on what goes under the name of social media.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 10, 2022, 02:29:49 PM »
Maybe Lol is desperately trying to convince himself of an improvement in our situation. I think we are different from Wuss but not because of history or size or such.  Wuss were/are the victims of (in imho) a vicious calculated mugging by their owners, and thank god our owner is not like that.  We were/are the victims  of something quite beyond our control, ie a pandemic.  Just my view.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 10, 2022, 02:54:43 PM »
At the back of my mind, I am not sure that our business plan from the outset, was particulary well thought out (especially the what/if scenarios about the bond repayment) and robust enough.

I will be very interested to see how the "new owners" will repay the overdue bond. As I imagine, will the bondholders, particulary those who are long term Wasps fans.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 10, 2022, 03:11:15 PM »
Agree about Dallaglio’s comments. I’m hoping the dialogue the club must be having with PRL carries more weight in their minds than his well intentioned but incorrectly executed words. I do believe we and Worcester are different cases and should be treated as such but not in the ways lol suggested.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 10, 2022, 04:28:19 PM »
It was on 2 November.
He also said to a straight question that the bonds were "sorted" as their financial advisor had placed an expert into the Arena Management to assist with putting everything in place. Maybe it was at the time or maybe an "untruth".

Must have been a different one on the 2nd Nov, as I was definitely there in late October: http://onceawasp.com/forums/index.php/topic,4284.msg73415.html#msg73415

When asked about finances 5 days prior to the 2nd November the answer wasn't that the Bonds were sorted, nor that an expert had been placed into the Arena Management.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 10, 2022, 04:42:08 PM »
It was on 2 November.

Must have been a different one on the 2nd Nov, as I was definitely there in late October: http://onceawasp.com/forums/index.php/topic,4284.msg73415.html#msg73415

When asked about finances 5 days prior to the 2nd November the answer wasn't that the Bonds were sorted, nor that an expert had been placed into the Arena Management.

Sorry my bad it was the 27th Oct. The question was by somebody alongside me and that was the answer given by Vaughan. He was asked about it again during the free-for-all questions afterwards. 

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 10, 2022, 04:50:50 PM »
If the 2nd extension was on the 3rd/4th, does that mean Wasps have until the 18th?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 10, 2022, 04:57:47 PM »
If the 2nd extension was on the 3rd/4th, does that mean Wasps have until the 18th?

Week on Wednesday is said to be the drop dead date. Although the application seems to have been made late Tuesday.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #312 on: October 10, 2022, 04:59:37 PM »
Yes, filed on Tuesday 4th October, so the 17th or 18th would be the deadline. The previous one was filed on a Wednesday, so it may be that the day it is filed is day 1.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 10, 2022, 05:01:07 PM »
Yes, filed on Tuesday 4th October, so the 17th or 18th would be the deadline. The previous one was filed on a Wednesday, so it may be that the day it is filed is day 1.

So that'd be after the chiefs game. Let's hope there's been an announcement by then, otherwise that'll be huge pressure on the players.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 10, 2022, 05:58:53 PM »
It’s a shame at times that this forum is so open, as it means being careful in sharing certain information.

I suspect there’s a few on this board who are well connected, but unable to share certain bits of information they hear via reputable sources because of visibility of all posts.