Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps facing relegation  (Read 66852 times)

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps facing relegation
« Reply #480 on: October 12, 2022, 06:46:16 PM »
It’s my birthday today too.. I’m lost for words. Found out I had a congenital defect and needed life saving heart surgery in June and only just over the shock of that, then this..what a year. Hopefully someone can come and do similar last minute surgery and we’ll will survive to ‘wear the yellow bonnet with Wasps written on it’ again.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #481 on: October 12, 2022, 06:47:12 PM »

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 12, 2022, 07:01:01 PM »
https://twitter.com/_AlexBywater/status/1580252689849409536?t=Xqs63zd9dUteRYWX7_O13w&s=19

Suspended from the Premiership
They have jumped the gun or have more info than we have.
It looks like the end.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 12, 2022, 07:01:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/_AlexBywater/status/1580252689849409536?t=Xqs63zd9dUteRYWX7_O13w&s=19

It looks like the end.

Likely because we cancelled the Chiefs match.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 12, 2022, 07:16:25 PM »
8:15 is the Phil Upton Show. At 8 they have a longish news slot, followed by weather. At around 8:15 they have a slot called Good Morning, Bad Morning. This morning the first story was Mike Ashley and Sports Direct possibly opening up that new place. It quickly descends in to Trivia usually, for example, Deliveroo offering finance for food purchases.

Thanks!

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 12, 2022, 07:18:07 PM »

It looks like the end.

Likely because we cancelled the Chiefs match.
Worcester were suspended after calling 2 games off if I have remembered that right.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 12, 2022, 07:38:42 PM »
I think the suspension was protocol.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 12, 2022, 07:39:37 PM »
It’s my birthday today too.. I’m lost for words. Found out I had a congenital defect and needed life saving heart surgery in June and only
just over the shock of that, then this..what a year. Hopefully someone can come and do similar last minute surgery and we’ll will survive to ‘wear the yellow bonnet with Wasps written on it’ again.
Adds perspective Andy. Hope you remain healthy.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 12, 2022, 07:56:38 PM »
8:15 is the Phil Upton Show. At 8 they have a longish news slot, followed by weather. At around 8:15 they have a slot called Good Morning, Bad Morning. This morning the first story was Mike Ashley and Sports Direct possibly opening up that new place. It quickly descends in to Trivia usually, for example, Deliveroo offering finance for food purchases.

Thanks!

But, and this is important, we are as mushrooms in this. What could have happened already? Just supposition ...

Wasps approached an Insolvency Practitioner (IP) who agreed to act should the decision be made, and Wasps asked that IP to talk with the creditors in advance, to get a creditor's committee together (typically representing more than 50% of creditors by total debt). Usually, HMRC are in there. Many creditors give their proxy to the IP.

So that, by the time the Court approves the administration, a so-called pre-pack is in place.

Now, the IP has to advertise their appointment in the London Gazette, but it can take a day or two for that to appear. If the IP does not speak directly to the media, you have only small clues that the business went in to administration. Such as ... social media goes silent and website, online shop, etc. go offline (they did BTW).

The doors to the premises are locked. No idea if that happened. Staff are called to a meeting (I think BB said that happened this afternoon) to meet the IP and the directors.

If the pre-pack is in place, contracts would be signed within hours, and the deal announced publicly (after all, a rescue is a 'good' thing, so the media are spoken to). This has not happened. That is odd, as the UK business day is now over. Maybe the buyer is overseas in a country/timezone where the business day is different.

Money has to flow. For an overseas transfer to the UK of that size, the IP might not officially see it until early morning UK time, but will already have had proof it has been sent on its way. An American resident buyer for example.

IF a pre-pack was in place, and IF the administration was this afternoon, you could expect the new buyer to emerge tomorrow morning, on media channels local to Coventry (I can't see it making national news on air). Say, around 8am.

Of course, as a pre-pack, this will have been arranged in advance. The media station that will 'break' the news will already know. Staff at the IP will know. Staff at Wasps and directors (some at least) will know. Wasps' most important assets (the players) will know. Some will speak to friends, some to wives/partners/husbands/family, and rumours will appear.

I get the feeling this is what will happen. I get the feeling the RFU already know Wasps are in Administration, and THAT triggered the suspension.

I think they will hold fire on announcing the relegation to see if Wasps can limit the lost games to just the Chiefs one. If Wasps can manage that and get playing again, they will get hit with a 35 points deduction, but no relegation.

Worcester fans will say, what about us? The RFU will reply, do you still have players under contract, because Wasps do? Do you have a ground you can play at, because Wasps do? Do you even have an owner, because Wasps do.

Nice and neatly, the PRL becomes 12 teams again. And other clubs who are teetering know what they have to do. See how Wasps started this process just after paying the players and all staff, so they could all remain under contract? That's how you do a pre-pack insolvency.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 08:34:03 PM by NellyWellyWaspy »

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 12, 2022, 08:10:26 PM »

Thanks!

But, and this is important, we are as mushrooms in this. What could have happened already? Just supposition ...

Wasps approached an Insolvency Practitioner (IP) who agreed to act should the decision be made, and Wasps asked that IP to talk with the creditors in advance, to get a creditor's committee together (typically representing more than 50% of creditors by total debt). Usually, HMRC are in there. Many creditors give their proxy to the IP.

So that, by the time the Court approves the administration, a so-called pre-pack is in place.

Now, the IP has to advertise their appointment in the London Gazette, but it can take a day or two for that to appear. If the IP does not speak directly to the media, you have only small clues that the business went in to administration. Such as ... social media goes silent and website, online shop, etc. go offline (they did BTW).

The doors to the premises are locked. No idea if that happened. Staff are called to a meeting (I think BB said that happened this afternoon) to meet the IP and the directors.

If the pre-pack is in place, contracts would be signed within hours, and the deal announced publicly (after, a rescue is a 'good' thing, so the media are spoken to). This has not happened. That is odd, as the UK business day is now over. Maybe the buyer is overseas in a country/timezone where the business day is different.

Money has to flow. For an overseas transfer to the UK of that size, the IP might not officially see it until early morning UK time, but will already have had proof it has been sent on its way. An American resident buyer for example.

IF a pre-pack was in place, and IF the administration was this afternoon, you could expect the new buyer to emerge tomorrow morning, on media channels local to Coventry (I can't see it making national news on air). Say, around 8am.

Of course, as a pre-pack, this will have been arranged in advance. The media station that will 'break' the news will already know. Staff at the IP will know. Staff at Wasps and directors (some at least) will know. Wasps' most important assets (the players) will know. Some will speak to friends, some to wives/partners/husbands/family, and rumours will appear.

I get the feeling this is what will happen. I get the feeling the RFU already know Wasps are in Administration, and THAT triggered the suspension.

I think they will hold fire on announcing the relegation to see if Wasps can limit the lost games to just the Chiefs one. If Wasps can manage that and get playing again, they will get hit with a 35 points deduction, but no relegation.

Worcester fans will say, what about us? The RFU will reply, do you still have players under contract, because Wasps do? Do you have a ground you can play at, because Wasps do? Do you even have an owner, because Wasps do.

Nice and neatly, the PRL becomes 12 teams again. And other clubs who are teetering know what they have to do. See how Wasps started this process just after paying the players and all staff, so they could all remain under contract? That's how you do a pre-pack insolvency.

That’s almost like an episode from ‘hustle’ .

Belfast Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 12, 2022, 08:11:39 PM »
website still up

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 12, 2022, 08:13:53 PM »
website still up

It went down soon after they made their statement. A while later it came back up.

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 12, 2022, 08:31:37 PM »

Thanks!

If the pre-pack is in place, contracts would be signed within hours, and the deal announced publicly (after, a rescue is a 'good' thing, so the media are spoken to). This has not happened. That is odd, as the UK business day is now over. Maybe the buyer is overseas in a country/timezone where the business day is different.

Blimey 😏

I popped out to get a meal feeling pretty fed up given the 🐝 news, then I read this on return.

Just wanted to say thx for cheering me up, even if it doesn’t last, that’s a glimmer of hope.