Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps facing relegation  (Read 66870 times)

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps facing relegation
« Reply #540 on: October 13, 2022, 11:38:05 AM »
For what my opinion is worth, it's easy for Baxter to make such comments when your club is sitting cosy financially because owner and sponsor are one and the same.

It would be interesting to hear his comments if Exeter were in trouble

Or if Exeter were last men standing

Exeter vs Cheats ad nauseum!!

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 13, 2022, 11:41:21 AM »
If the cheats were the last man standing then they would have to play with themselves.

Which is what many have been suggesting for some time.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 13, 2022, 11:44:06 AM »
If the cheats were the last man standing then they would have to play with themselves.

Which is what many have been suggesting for some time.

;D
Let me tell you something cucumber

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 13, 2022, 12:21:21 PM »

I only saw snippets of what Baxter said.

It seemed that he said increasing the league to 13 teams was a ludicrously stupid idea.
That's something I think we can all agree on

Did he actually say he wanted a 10 team league, or did he say, when questioned, that a 10 team league would solve some player welfare issues but would bring other problems?
The bit I read made it appear as though he was asked his thoughts on whether a 10 team league would work and he was mostly non committal

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 13, 2022, 12:23:19 PM »
I think we risk descending into too much bitterness on this thread about other teams.  For all of the references to Salarycens and Tigers, whilst I accept the arguments about Wage Inflation across the league, I don't believe they were significant enough to be a leading factor in our (financial) demise.

A re-think of how the professional league(s) are structured is what's needed and ideas to stimulated the long-term growth and financial health of the game.

For a while Clubs and PRL have driven towards a more is more plan; more teams in the league = more revenue = growth etc etc... what it's actually led to is higher operating costs.  The prospect of a 10-team closed league isn't particularly attractive (even if we were to be part of that league) and I think there need to be two professional divisions - A bit like the Top14 - with promotion/relegation.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 13, 2022, 12:30:22 PM »
Did he actually say he wanted a 10 team league

Read what Baxter said here, all seems very sensible & non controversial to me
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63233239

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 13, 2022, 12:30:42 PM »
In terms of the P share business there are 13 holders. We and Wuss are excluded = 11. Six team majority needed to strip. I can see Tigers, Sarries, Exeter, Bristol and Quins voting to remove quicker than you can say clique. But Falcons, Irish, Glaws are likely headed in the same direction as us so may vote against. That leaves Bath and Sale and Saints. If they do take the p shares someone has to find approx £20m. Ealing may want one. A ten team league, for me, would be excruciatingly dull (not that I’d be particularly following it anyway). I can’t help think if the p shares are taken it’s the equivalent turkeys voting for Christmas.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 13, 2022, 12:40:18 PM »
A 25 minute BBC interview:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0d6hbmv

Mikey Burrows talks to:

Simon Gilbert (plonker reporter from the BBC)
Richard Moon
Rob Andrew

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 13, 2022, 12:42:16 PM »
In terms of the P share business there are 13 holders. We and Wuss are excluded = 11. Six team majority needed to strip. I can see Tigers, Sarries, Exeter, Bristol and Quins voting to remove quicker than you can say clique. But Falcons, Irish, Glaws are likely headed in the same direction as us so may vote against. That leaves Bath and Sale and Saints. If they do take the p shares someone has to find approx £20m. Ealing may want one. A ten team league, for me, would be excruciatingly dull (not that I’d be particularly following it anyway). I can’t help think if the p shares are taken it’s the equivalent turkeys voting for Christmas.

Is that gut feel Shugs - as I have nothing to go on re likely voting?

The reality ought to be dawning even on the RFU and PRL that the basis of a) England rugby and b) a pro league is in danger. Acknowledging that the RFU and PRL are bonkers - it surely must be that the reality is slowly penetrating their alternative universe.

I may be wrong (not a rarity!) but the RFU needs a decent England product to fill Twickenham and keep sponsors - that's not been the case last few 6Ns and whilst they might think there's an endless stream of punters willing to pay loads, that surely wanes if performances aren't great alongside a financial crisis.

So it's heads firmly in the sand if they'd let Worcester, Wasps and others to go to the wall?

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 13, 2022, 12:46:20 PM »
Its been reported that Warriors are appealing their suspension etc.
Given now Wasps & potentially others could follow, I would be very surprised if PRL & the RFU don't agree some kind of compromise.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 13, 2022, 12:51:31 PM »
Yes, just my ramblings Mike909 - nothing more.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 13, 2022, 01:18:05 PM »
Which part of the business holds the p share is it Wasps Holdings?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 13, 2022, 01:21:08 PM »

One of those first 5 you mention, one based oh so close to Coventry, are not in a stellar financial position either. Falcons and Glaws, yes. Not so sure about Irish. The only teams I am reasonably sure have deep enough pockets are Bristol and Sarries. Exeter are suffering because their major source of finance is hurting a lot.

On another related topic. The training ground. I was out and about this morning and bumped in to someone who has a direct interest, who told me that the main contractor is still owed £300k, and the other contractors were also owed very large sums (for the pitch and all the indoor equipment). The same goes for the work done on the separate 'Academy House' next door. I wonder whether the owner of the site ordered and is on the hook for that money, or whether Wasps did a sneaky one and ordered the work in their name, with the benefit accruing to the site owner?

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 13, 2022, 01:24:52 PM »
The only teams I am reasonably sure have deep enough pockets are Bristol and Sarries

Wouldn't you also include Bath in that? Bruce Craig is worth £300 million apparently.....

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 13, 2022, 01:39:58 PM »
The only teams I am reasonably sure have deep enough pockets are Bristol and Sarries

Wouldn't you also include Bath in that? Bruce Craig is worth £300 million apparently.....

Not a particularly accurate guide as it lists Tigers, Saints, Exeter and Sarries as having no overall controlling individual owner which doesn't really tell the whole story.  Of the rest, Lansdown (£1.3bn) and Craig (£249m) way out in front, with a certain Mr Richardson next in line at £60m net worth.

https://www.ruck.co.uk/all-13-premiership-club-owners-ranked-by-their-net-worth/2/