Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps facing relegation  (Read 66858 times)

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps facing relegation
« Reply #600 on: October 14, 2022, 10:58:15 AM »
Slight puzzlement.  Are the brickheads  at RFC/RFL  presuming that all those supporters who can't go to a Wasps or Wuss match will immediately switch allegiance  to another club and will go to watch those clubs    and swell that club's  numbers?  If so the brickheads have a shock coming.  For us it is OAWAAW.  End of.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: October 14, 2022, 11:02:12 AM »
VV, I'm uncertain that the "powers that  be" have made any assumptions that are anything other than wishful thinking, over a pink gin at the club. That they surely have nothing else to go on other than wishful thinking ought to worry all rugby fans. And if fans from the clubs "circling the wagons " think this doesn't concern them, then they are indulging in Ostrich behaviour. 

I'd prefer to go to watch Cardiff. On my train route. I've  married into a Welsh family  so not so hard!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: October 14, 2022, 11:13:18 AM »
So, the Court case is on Monday. RFU seem to have confirmed that as soon as we enter administration, we will be relegated. They also seem to be confirming that the Covid clause will not be allowed, for us or Worcester.

It would appear that they are also prepared to a 10 team PRL top tier, and maybe a 10 team second team.

I doubt 10 teams will survive. With Wasps and Warriors gone, that leaves only 11. Expect three more to go.

On what basis? Is it a case that as there become fewer games they take less money, so it becomes increasingly harder for those on the edge?
From our selfish point of view is it best for several clubs to go, thus requiring  a bailout  to come into play. At the moment it will be an eleven team league. If 3 went it would be 8, would they then try and resurrect those fallen clubs in some way if they wanted a ten team league?

As you peel away teams to get down to whatever you think is viable, revenues decline. Sponsorship declines because the number of times the brand is seen declines. You lose TV viewership, already BT must be seriously considering pulling out, and the revenue paid by the broadcaster.

With only 8, or 10 pro teams, most schools will switch to soccer, for those students who want to have the possibility of income from sport.

Each club is losing enough money per year that it is equivalent to half (or more) of the player wage bill.

The fact is, it isn't viable at ANY number of teams in the league, thus only clubs with uber rich owners will survive. I can see us with maybe four clubs remaining, playing in some sort of Euro league.

The way the RFU and PRL are handling this (i.e. not at all), this is going to be a drip, drip, drip of clubs being served Winding Up orders by HMRC.

Some of the other club owners want this? Fine, let them have it. It will be worthless. It is like children fighting for the sole ownership of a Monopoly board. Once the other children refuse to play, finding better things to do, the sole owner is left sitting as Billy No Mates.

Right now, I can see Wasps converting the training ground to become the new club location, whack up a simple stand and clubhouse, job done. There is room there for maybe 4 or 5 pitches, but they would need a car park.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 14, 2022, 11:15:13 AM »
I must confess I will still watch some domestic games live on TV. I don't have a sub to BT or Sky Sports but I do pay to stream all Prem games. My sub costs about US$10/month and I have always considered it a bargain. I might watch Sale v Irish tonight, Glaws v Bristol tomorrow and Quins v Tiggs on Sunday.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 14, 2022, 11:26:53 AM »
A ten team league fixes some problems, but raises others. It is significant that the ProD2 in France has been a breeding ground for players now in the National team. 2 strong leagues with around 30 fully pro teams, English rugby can't replicate what France is doing but it needs to take notice of it.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 14, 2022, 11:27:33 AM »
As a member of Edinburgh Rugby I know where my "fix" if I need it will come from. Even got Ben Vellacott to cheer on. Premier cover Racing so got Wadey for another month or so.

As far as BT are concerned after Monday if it is confirmed I will be saving myself sufficient to buy any single matches I want. European Rugby cover their own as well so that will be an avenue for anything I might want.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 14, 2022, 11:28:15 AM »
This week I asked a CEO of a Premier club how they’d cope with the rumoured ten team league and he spluttered about adding “a more meaningful cup competition”.

So no benefits to players then?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: October 14, 2022, 11:43:50 AM »
After a suitable period of mourning I will watch rugby in the telly because I luke rugby, but going to Prem games? Where?

I don't live that far from Copthall Stadium (I don't care about sponsors' names, it was Copthall when I was at school and it will remain Copthall). On what planet am I likely to think "oh well, Wasps have gone, la-di-da, I'll watch £aracens from now on"?

There are people running the game whose heads are so far up their own backsides they could join the circus as a contortionist.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 14, 2022, 11:53:12 AM »

I'd prefer to go to watch Cardiff. On my train route. I've  married into a Welsh family  so not so hard!

I still miss Dai.
I'm more likely to follow Dai than I am any other premiership club

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 14, 2022, 11:59:49 AM »

I still miss Dai.
I'm more likely to follow Dai than I am any other premiership club
  +1

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 14, 2022, 12:14:31 PM »
If Wasps survive, that will make me very happy, and I will continue to support Wasps (wherever they end up).

If Wasps don't survive, might be drastic, but I think that will be me done with professional rugby in England (and that includes the national team) as well as my BT Sport subscription. I'll put more time and effort into my local club - I play my rugby there as well so it will be easy enough.

If I do follow another professional team, I could possibly claim connection to Leinster as the wife has a strong family Irish (Dublin) connection, but I know it just won't feel the same.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: October 14, 2022, 12:16:29 PM »
I’ve yet to work out how a 10 team league stands a chance. My gut feel is that a large chunk of costs are fixed in the short to medium term. Other than saving a few quid from running stadia for 3 fewer games, I doubt this will do much to offset the c£1m of lost revenue — that’s assuming they don’t lose even more revenue when sponsors and BT sports pull out for breach of contract, or at least use it as leverage to renegotiate more favourable terms.

Looks to me like 4 George IIIs — Four King Lunacy. Has someone from Downing Street been doing their sums?

Talking of Downing Street, I do wonder how much of a role that their detonation of the markets has added to our struggles (and that of other clubs). It can’t be easy trying to negotiate rescue packages when markets are riddled with uncertainty, values tanking and interest rates soaring.

Take Tiggers — if they’re going to lose £700k and go 7 weeks without generating home game revenue, they’ll likely have to extend their working capital facility. Wonder what that’s going to cost now? Surely there has to be a Rugby Club premium now on top of the Truss premium.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 14, 2022, 12:21:31 PM »
Pretty straightforward forward for me. If Wasps survive I’ll follow them irrespective of league or destination. If they don’t I’ll have a passing interest in the top level game but won’t be parting with any cash to watch it live or on TV.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 14, 2022, 12:38:47 PM »
Pretty straightforward forward for me. If Wasps survive I’ll follow them irrespective of league or destination. If they don’t I’ll have a passing interest in the top level game but won’t be parting with any cash to watch it live or on TV.

Totally
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 14, 2022, 12:41:02 PM »
plus 1