Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps facing relegation  (Read 66790 times)

RP

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps facing relegation
« Reply #615 on: October 14, 2022, 12:47:17 PM »
Pretty straightforward forward for me. If Wasps survive I’ll follow them irrespective of league or destination. If they don’t I’ll have a passing interest in the top level game but won’t be parting with any cash to watch it live or on TV.

Plus 1, if Wasps pull this off then we will still and go watch them wherever.  The wife and I usually on a Friday evening look forward to a live game on TV no matter who it was, but this week is different, and won't be watching tonight, does not seem right.
Ritchie, your bike cost how much? And it doesn't even come with pedals?

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 14, 2022, 12:52:00 PM »
I must confess I will still watch some domestic games live on TV. I don't have a sub to BT or Sky Sports but I do pay to stream all Prem games. My sub costs about US$10/month and I have always considered it a bargain. I might watch Sale v Irish tonight, Glaws v Bristol tomorrow and Quins v Tiggs on Sunday.
I've been giving it a lot of thought. I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch any games this weekend, in part because there will be a lot of ill informed talk about our situation. As to the longer term if Wasp don't survive ....

I was a rugby fan for a long time before I got emotionally invested in Wasps (see introductions thread, its in there somewhere). I had no favourites basing my watching on which teams were playing well.

I'm not sure I'll be able to watch any Prem games without there being some part of me thinking about what happened. I certainly couldn't become a fan of any other team. The closes is Exeter, but much as I admire what they have achieved I can't find anything in them that would make me fan.

Bath next. It would be a good team to support logistically. There's a motorhome site I could use if I wanted to go and have a few beers and even a Bath supported in the village who doesn't go because nobody to share the drive with, but he's moving away soon. My biggest objection would be the ground, I've been twice and neither were pleasant experiences. I didn't even like the vibes in the town pre and post match.

At a stretch I could get to Quins, certainly a lot easier that the CBS or even Sandy Park. There's even an areas on the Thames I can park overnight for free. But much as I admire the current style and I enjoyed my one and only visit to the stadium there's still something missing I can't put my finger on. Possibly a bit of arrogance, not quite Cheats level but just enough to question whether I want to be part of it.

If there was a way I could regularly watch French rugby with English commentary  I think I'd sign up. I could go back to just watching and enjoying the game without any emotional baggage .

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 14, 2022, 12:58:39 PM »
Premier TV cover French Top 14. Most weeks there are a few live matches plus extensive highlights over the week. They also cover the URC (with Dai's Cardiff) showing every match live (better than BT).
Let me tell you something cucumber

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 14, 2022, 12:59:39 PM »
And if fans from the clubs "circling the wagons " think this doesn't concern them, then they are indulging in Ostrich behaviour.

That's easy to say now, but until earlier this week that was the majority of Wasps fans who knew things were tough, but not imminent disaster tough.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 14, 2022, 01:05:25 PM »
And if fans from the clubs "circling the wagons " think this doesn't concern them, then they are indulging in Ostrich behaviour.

That's easy to say now, but until earlier this week that was the majority of Wasps fans who knew things were tough, but not imminent disaster tough.

It may be what some said on here but at the ground on Sunday it was very realistic with many saying goodbye.
Let me tell you something cucumber

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 14, 2022, 01:11:05 PM »
VV, I'm uncertain that the "powers that  be" have made any assumptions that are anything other than wishful thinking, over a pink gin at the club. That they surely have nothing else to go on other than wishful thinking ought to worry all rugby fans. And if fans from the clubs "circling the wagons " think this doesn't concern them, then they are indulging in Ostrich behaviour. 

I'd prefer to go to watch Cardiff. On my train route. I've  married into a Welsh family  so not so hard!

I will probably just watch a bit of Cardiff on TV with the wife, maybe the odd in person game. Cardiff are actually as bad at the lineout as we are and implode as frequently.

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 14, 2022, 01:27:54 PM »
Coming out of the anaesthetic from my op, I had two dreams:
1 that my 2nd Total Knee Replacement op this year would be as successful as the first, and
2 that 🐝 future would have been successfully assured.
Well the first dream is going to plan, just hope we’ll get some good news on the 2nd this week.

Daeg

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 14, 2022, 01:34:59 PM »
If the unthinkable happens I will dedicate myself to a life of irony and support the Saracens... my life will be committed to the true mercenary spirit of that debased and ignoble club... or maybe I'll just keep watching Ozzie rules instead. Love the D's.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #623 on: October 14, 2022, 01:37:19 PM »
or maybe I'll just keep watching Ozzie rules instead. Love the D's.

Someone has to!

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 14, 2022, 01:38:17 PM »
Just noticed this, not sure if it’s been posted elsewhere

BBC Coventry and Warwickshire has reported that Labour councillors on Coventry City Council have been called to an emergency meeting tonight where it’s understood they will be asked to vote on signing off a financial support package to help Wasps stave off administration.

Boosh

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 14, 2022, 01:39:57 PM »
Fantastic news and a good decision by the Council. Hopefully get this sorted and we’ll be back on the pitch soon. OAWAAW

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 14, 2022, 01:54:37 PM »
Slight puzzlement.  Are the brickheads  at RFC/RFL  presuming that all those supporters who can't go to a Wasps or Wuss match will immediately switch allegiance  to another club and will go to watch those clubs    and swell that club's  numbers?

I don't think that's the case (at least, not IMO).  Personally, I think one of the blockers to more casual fans attending games is lack of certainty around the big names playing.  With 10-team divisions with breaks around the international period, it takes some of the uncertainty away.  If the internationals are fit, they'll almost certainly be playing and I think that will attract those fans to attend. 

It's a long-term game, as I went from casual fan > STH over a period of 5-6 years or so and tended to go and watch a mixture of Saracens, Irish, Quins and Wasps depending who they were playing (i.e. Irish v Falcons to see Jonny play).

Going to a closed 10-Team Premiership would be incredibly short-sighted even if the Clubs were keen short-term to accrue greater portions of TV revenues and incomes via their shareholdings.  It doesn't really solve the problem of how to make Professional Rugby sustainable in the long-term.

My own view (aired previously) is that longer-term there's the ability to run 2x divisions of 10 Teams.  So we ultimately grow professional rugby to 20 teams with promotion/relegation.  But to do that, I think we'd have to shrink to grow.  By shrink I mean:

• Fewer games to reduce operating costs
  • Reduced salary cap again to reduce operating costs (Say £4m/£4.5m and keeping the same academy/homegrown/marquee add-ons)
  • Reduced First-Team Squad sizes due to fewer games needing to play and league games not being played during internationals.  The likelihood is that talent would disperse amongst teams in the second division

I would wager that most STH would be open to paying the same for 9 home games as they do for 12 they currently do especially as based on the (small sample size) group around where I sit often missing 2-3 league games throughout the season due to Family Events, Holidays, going to Internationals.

That doesn't really cover how income should be split via PRL Shareholders, as I doubt any team is up for diluting that income from being split between 20 teams from 13. 

Although I do wonder what the maths look like - If anyone can surface the actual figures i'd be interested to learn more.

For example (out of date figures), the funding from the RFU under the professional game agreement (PGA) was £112m for the first 4 years (2016-2020), the second 4 years through to 2024 was a variable figure based on the RFUs finances.

Taking the first 4 years, if the funding was split equally between the 13 shareholding teams that's £28m per year split 13 ways = £2.15m per year.  Split 20 ways it would be £1.4m.  It's a fairly big gap.

However, if, CVC take a third of that under their shareholding of PRL that would leave £18.76m being split over those first 4 years.  Split 13 ways = £1.44m, split 20 ways = £0.94m.  That gap narrows somewhat. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see broadly similar attendance figures across 9 home games as 12 with internationals playing and suspect the finances would look a lot better balanced.

European Cups remain the same and add in a proper academy/a-league cup to be played during the international period.  I'd like to see a competitive domestic cup, with each round a knock-out, but think we quickly run into fixture congestion.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 14, 2022, 01:59:44 PM »
I don't think that's the case (at least, not IMO).  Personally, I think one of the blockers to more casual fans attending games is lack of certainty around the big names playing.  With 10-team divisions with breaks around the international period, it takes some of the uncertainty away.  If the internationals are fit, they'll almost certainly be playing and I think that will attract those fans to attend.

I've been saying for years that the simplest and easiest way round this is to make more players household names.  No-one checks the local rugby team's website when they wake up every morning, but 1000s of people check Instagram, and TikTok.

Get players active on social instead of encouraging them to stay away because they might hear something bad.  Make it so people know who they are and then people will come see them play.  It's not exactly rocket science.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 14, 2022, 02:03:05 PM »
I've been saying for years that the simplest and easiest way round this is to make more players household names.  No-one checks the local rugby team's website when they wake up every morning, but 1000s of people check Instagram, and TikTok.

Get players active on social instead of encouraging them to stay away because they might hear something bad.  Make it so people know who they are and then people will come see them play.  It's not exactly rocket science.

Agreed.  Their amplification of news and advertising of games, updates etc... is significant compared to the standalone Wasps Rugby social media (same for all teams, really).

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 14, 2022, 02:29:11 PM »
If the sport can't sustain 13 pro teams, how could it support two leagues of 10?