Always a Wasp

Author Topic: What will Eddie make of it?  (Read 2730 times)

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: What will Eddie make of it?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2022, 10:43:29 AM »
Simmonds is moving to France, and there's no guarantee that Eddie will pick Mercer. Tom's biggest problem is that Eddie doesn't seem to rate him, no matter how highly other players and coaches do, and how consistently he leads the stats.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2022, 10:45:44 AM »
Simmonds is moving to France, and there's no guarantee that Eddie will pick Mercer. Tom's biggest problem is that Eddie doesn't seem to rate him, no matter how highly other players and coaches do, and how consistently he leads the stats.

Nothing new there with Eddie and some other players. It's not just Tom.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2022, 10:52:05 AM »
Very true

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2022, 10:54:40 AM »

I think the problem is that Tom doesn't have the same platform to showcase his capabilities against better teams.  I don't recall a game where he's neccessarily dominated or outshone Billy, Dombrandt etc... in a head-to-head.  We've seen that an electric Simmonds in the Prem doesn't neccessarily look the same against the big European Teams, nor at International Level.

Why would Mercer come back, at a time when the big bucks are in France and the Prem Clubs are being squeezed by the Salary Cap, if he wasn't confident he was going to be competing for an England spot?

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2022, 11:11:16 AM »
Do we think Launch's time has been and gone? He's 31, and despite being (in my opinion) one of the best maulers the game has seen, is being overtaken by younger options like Chessum and Tizzard. Mobility being seen as an issue? I rate Ribbans - proper tough guy (albeit South African), but I can't really see a way back for Launch now?

Tom - well, you could argue it was a straight shootout between him and Tom Pearson, and Pearson got the nod. Not sure I'd have gone that way, but if it gives Tom the incentive to keep tearing it up for Wasps then great!

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2022, 11:14:29 AM »
Pearson is a 7, though. And to be fair, he looks real quality.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2022, 11:52:13 AM »
Do we think Launch's time has been and gone?

I don't think Launch's series of injuries have helped him.  Perhaps it's the only reason why Ewels and Hill have been persisted with.  I'd have Launch there if fit for his Maul defence work which virtually no-one else seems to have - Itoje, perhaps.  I'd quite like to see an Itoje/Lawes Second Row, but think Lawes is deemed too lightweight and also seen a decent third-option as a jumper. 

Lawes/Itoje in the row opens up a back-row of Curry, J.Wills and Dombrandt/Billy which feels (to me) to have mobility, power and balance to it.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2022, 12:27:22 PM »

If fit, I'd put a tenner on both Willis brothers being in the first post Jones squad, whoever the coach is. Jones seems to like picking players too soon (George Martin from Tigers say) and then dropping them "to learn" Then not picking when in great form (like Martin...)

But Jones' fans think it's some sort of master plan. An EA's fan I know was justifying Malins being dropped from England for the summer tour....but his love for Jones even outweighs his love for the EA's real stars......the top try scorer from last season I think (or near) and the FB when England looked fluent for one game in 2021 6Ns and selected most 2022 6Ns and dropped for summer tour.

Jones is invested in some sort of hybrid player madness meaning a really obvious back three selection of say May, Watson and Malins will never get selected when you can play a centre out of position or Furbank...

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2022, 01:08:43 PM »
Really don't get the Sam Simmonds pick, he will be playing in France apricate the season may not start in France but what is the point. Also why on earth is Ben Youngs still being picked

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2022, 01:10:57 PM »
Really don't get the Sam Simmonds pick, he will be playing in France apricate the season may not start in France but what is the point. Also why on earth is Ben Youngs still being picked

We've all been asking that final question for years now.  No nearer to finding out the answer.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2022, 01:52:15 PM »

I think that in an ideal world, Eddie wants a bulldozer at 8.
He wants a big heavy blunt instrument.

He wants the 8 to run through defences, and make holes with power, rather than guile.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2022, 03:39:50 PM »
Looked through the training squad again....I tend to have observations that sound rather facetious but too many times reading the list, my reaction was WTF....
In the squad - several never capped players.....surely the last chance to make the RWC squad would have been the Oz tour and even then, that's pretty late.
Several players that you scratch your head about. I like Furbank, but not in front of Malins - prob one of last season's best players and with England experience - playing well in poor teams too. Why Joe C? He's barely shown that he can stay fit yet and really adds little at present. Youngs? Up front, is Mako international standard now? Sam S...not unless you're looking to play a very different game.

I look at the squad and I'm really not sure how we'd prefer to set up or play. Not sure who Jones thinks is the best combination at centre and alongside which 10. As for back three - nice to see May back, but too often in Oz - even when winning and especially last two 6Ns, we've looked like we were not convinced/had buy in to what we were being asked to do and I still have that feeling. Very few settled combinations.

Jones can easily select several ugly packs - but how we might play is lost to me at least....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2022, 03:47:55 PM »
Fully agree Mike. There is warranted talk that Billy V and Dombrandt are better 8’s than TW. But a soon departing Simmonds? Eddie playing games I’m afraid. Cockanasinga - not for me. The icing on the cake is Tuilagi coming back in. We desperately need to find an answer at 12 and he won’t be it. I’ll be surprised if he makes the training squad. There really is no cohesive plan.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2022, 03:53:44 PM »
We can't keep playing Smith at 10 and Farrell at 12. For me it will likely be Farrell at 10 with smith coming on if we need to change the game. Marchant is the best 13 and I agree how Malins is not in the squad is just so wrong

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2022, 04:03:25 PM »
Thanks Shugs - I'd argue for Tom at 8 to be given a chance, purely as he's delivered when very young against Prem teams and looks better - but Sam S....I'd argue for him at 6 in a different set up - but not going to happen.

I do realise there are lots of players....but just using those non selected you could pick a back three of Malins, Radwan and Thorley, centres Marchant and O'Connor, Uren and Ford (ok -  officially injured!) and I'd have a decent idea of objectives!