Always a Wasp

Author Topic: What will Eddie make of it?  (Read 2722 times)

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: What will Eddie make of it?
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2022, 04:12:37 PM »
Tom is rather like Joe;  you don't always notice him when he's there but you don't half notice when he isn't.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2022, 04:32:22 PM »
Tom is rather like Joe;  you don't always notice him when he's there but you don't half notice when he isn't.

In a season or two everyone is going to notice Tom

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2022, 04:47:08 PM »
We can't keep playing Smith at 10 and Farrell at 12. For me it will likely be Farrell at 10 with smith coming on if we need to change the game. Marchant is the best 13 and I agree how Malins is not in the squad is just so wrong Eddie Jones

Fixed that for you!

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2022, 04:50:52 PM »
We can't keep playing Smith at 10 and Farrell at 12. For me it will likely be Farrell at 10 with smith coming on if we need to change the game. Marchant is the best 13 and I agree how Malins is not in the squad is just so wrong Eddie Jones

Fixed that for you!

Thank you for doing that, you are right

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2022, 05:03:56 PM »
Tom's rugby potential was obvious when he was 19, and Jack always said his 'little brother' was better than he was.  Finally other people are at last realising it too.                                                                                                                                                                                         

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2022, 10:28:11 AM »

Fixed that for you!

Thank you for doing that, you are right
I get the impression Malins is one of those Wade types, who only needs one or two outings before being discarded for whatever comes to mind, whilst certain players have infinite chances.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2022, 01:26:57 PM »
Just read the article in The Grauniad which is about Jones and what he's doing/thinking. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/sep/27/breakdown-eddie-jones-england-rugby-world-cup

I've got to the point now where I'm too often uncertain if Jones is taking the piss or actually providing something for journalists that relates to England and the RWC. Thinking under pressure - this article - isn't exactly new. T-CUP anyone? And the article suggests that England actually have a Plan A....Or believe they do.

Jones seems to want players that conform, and yet seems surprised that England lack ideas.....(2 recent 6Ns say) England have always been able to win any game as they can pick a number of very ugly packs - hell from those not in the squad you could pick say West, Cruise, Cole, Launch, Stooke (no bias...) G Martin, C Nield, T Willis and that would work. It showed vs Ireland last 6Ns when even with a red in 2 mins, England were physically competitive - but out smarted, unlike in 2021 when we were just crap vs Ireland!

But it seems they have been found out. Running Billy/a.n. other into contact isn't a winning strategy c.f. 6Ns games vs Scotland last 2 years....They loved it! And hoping Manu is fit is a fairly limiting strategy. We've been lucky with Watson and May being fit so often and they are fast, but we've now dropped Marchant and Slade....so how to get the ball to the wings?

As I said - probably just me.....

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2022, 03:33:50 PM »
Just read the article in The Grauniad which is about Jones and what he's doing/thinking. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/sep/27/breakdown-eddie-jones-england-rugby-world-cup

I've got to the point now where I'm too often uncertain if Jones is taking the piss or actually providing something for journalists that relates to England and the RWC. Thinking under pressure - this article - isn't exactly new. T-CUP anyone? And the article suggests that England actually have a Plan A....Or believe they do.

Jones seems to want players that conform, and yet seems surprised that England lack ideas.....(2 recent 6Ns say) England have always been able to win any game as they can pick a number of very ugly packs - hell from those not in the squad you could pick say West, Cruise, Cole, Launch, Stooke (no bias...) G Martin, C Nield, T Willis and that would work. It showed vs Ireland last 6Ns when even with a red in 2 mins, England were physically competitive - but out smarted, unlike in 2021 when we were just crap vs Ireland!

But it seems they have been found out. Running Billy/a.n. other into contact isn't a winning strategy c.f. 6Ns games vs Scotland last 2 years....They loved it! And hoping Manu is fit is a fairly limiting strategy. We've been lucky with Watson and May being fit so often and they are fast, but we've now dropped Marchant and Slade....so how to get the ball to the wings?

As I said - probably just me.....

No, it really isn't just you.

We have the same conversation at work every time an England squad is released, to the point, that I almost dread every training camp/competitive squad announcement, as it will be the same gasps of horror as we read , Ben Youngs etc etc....

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2022, 03:52:52 PM »
Come on guys. EJ knows best. Speaking as a Wales supporter.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2022, 04:07:17 PM »
Come on guys. EJ knows best. Speaking as a Wales supporter.
Luckily, I've married into a Welsh family...... :)