Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Joe in the Times tonight  (Read 1568 times)

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Joe in the Times tonight
« on: September 25, 2022, 07:24:12 PM »
Pasted:

Joe Launchbury: I’m very optimistic Wasps can be saved from administration
Captain says team ‘fully trust’ club’s hierarchy
new
Will Kelleher, Deputy Rugby Correspondent
Sunday September 25 2022, 5.00pm BST, The Times
Launchbury says the club still has a huge amount to offer

The Wasps captain Joe Launchbury vowed that the club will fight on despite the looming threat of administration but the players trust their owners to steer the club clear of danger.

Launchbury, 31, was at Wasps when they last were threatened with financial meltdown, in 2012. Now the on-field leader, he is finding this uncertainty stressful, but wants it to galvanise the club.

“It’s unsettling isn’t it?” he said after beating Bath 39-31 on Friday night.

“Especially when the word gets chucked around, which I don’t think the club wants chucked around – administration. No one wants to hear that.

“If I’m brutally honest, I probably care too much about the club. It means an awful lot to me, it’s been home for a long, long time. I want the best for it and all its employees. The game was a challenge to get right for, but I’m really proud of the boys.”

The club gave notice of appointing administrators last Wednesday, and on Thursday owner Derek Richardson, chief executive Stephen Vaughan and chief operating officer Chris Holland met with players and staff to explain Wasps’ plight.

“We fully trust them,” said Launchbury. “The people at the top are very clear about the fact that they want to be part of the club and to find solutions to this. For us as players, hearing [from them] on Thursday was music to our ears and now we’ll leave that to them.

Launchbury has full trust in those who run the club, despite its uncertain future

“We’re not going to pretend that we’re [players] going to solve any issues in that area. All we can try and do is win rugby games.

“Until I’m told otherwise I’m very optimistic. Maybe I’m a little bit biased, but this club has a huge amount to offer, a huge amount of things going for ourselves. I believe the future can be really bright for this club.”

The head coach Lee Blackett said he will look to protect Launchbury in this situation, worried he will burn out trying to lead the club out of crisis.

“You have got to be really wary,” said Blackett. “He is someone who wears his heart on his sleeve, he loves the club, he does so much.

Blackett wants to protect his captain from burning out due to the stress about the club’s future

“I don’t want him to take too much. We have to look after Joe as well because he is so passionate about the place that this could get on top of him.

“He has got a massive year for us, he leads by example by what he does on the field. Hopefully, he has got a World Cup at the end of it, and the last thing we want to do is put too much on his shoulders.

“He is one hell of a captain, he is a special individual.”

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Joe in the Times tonight
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 10:50:49 PM »
Bless him.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 11:25:33 PM »
The owners of the club are very privileged to have players like Joe, a person who optimises everything that is right about us. The owners truly owe it to him to make the future not only secure, but of long term prosperity.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022, 12:09:07 AM »
The owners of the club are very privileged to have players like Joe, a person who optimises everything that is right about us. The owners truly owe it to him to make the future not only secure, but of long term prosperity.

Whether it turns out they’ve gotten it horribly wrong, or it turns out ok in the end I don’t think Derek nor the Execs find themselves in this situation out of greed or personal gain at the expense of the club. 

That the Owner, CEO and COO are all visible to players and staff during this tells us a lot.  It’s a big difference to the Warriors’ owners and Sepalla at SISU to whom Derek seems to be being unfairly compared to.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 07:26:34 AM »
Here Here to the 2 comments above.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 07:56:34 AM »
Joe is is one hell of a player. Just goes about his job without any histrionics. A role model in many respects.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2022, 08:40:17 AM »
Wasps captain Joe Launchbury 'unsettled' by administration talk - but future can be bright

Report from Bobby Bridge

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-captain-joe-launchbury-unsettled-25104553
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 09:01:13 AM »
When Joe speaks people listen. Well done/said Joe.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 10:15:06 AM »
Special, special player.
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2022, 10:21:59 AM »
 Also a lovely lovely bloke.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2022, 04:49:11 PM »
Listened to the Eggchasers Podcast this morning; they had Mark Atkinson standing in for Tim Cocker.  During the Pod he was asked that if Wasps and Worcester went pop and he could pick one player from each team that he’d suggest Skivs brought in who would they be?

He struggled to come up with a Worcester player but was very quick to say Launch for Wasps and make the point that he doesn’t think there’s a single team out there who would be strengthened by having him.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2022, 05:00:16 PM »
Have you expressed that correctly?

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2022, 05:01:31 PM »
he doesn’t think there’s a single team out there who would be strengthened by having him

he doesn’t think there’s a single team out there who would NOT be strengthened by having him  ?

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2022, 05:38:45 PM »
he doesn’t think there’s a single team out there who would be strengthened by having him

he doesn’t think there’s a single team out there who would NOT be strengthened by having him  ?

Gulp! (I’m sorry Joe!), yes, you’re both right.  Missed the crucial word out there.  Where’s the facepalm emoji on here when you need it?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2022, 10:04:29 AM »
Is there an emoji for "Thank goodness you all noticed that because I was thinking it was me going barmy"?