Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Cheat To Survive  (Read 3347 times)

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Cheat To Survive
« on: September 27, 2022, 10:45:53 AM »
Saracens CEO: “Innovation and desire push people to think differently”
Today's City AM Fluff Piece

When Saracens earned a last-second victory over Gloucester on Saturday, they did so in front of a semi-full new West Stand at their Stone X Stadium. The north London club have been one of the few looking towards expansion, modernisation and development at a time when domestic rugby in England is struggling to support itself.

Having taken over as Saracens’ chief executive early last year, Lucy Wray has been part of a group spearheading the diversification of revenue streams in Barnet. She cites a close relationship with the council, a determination not to rely on cash handouts from private equity firm CVC, a minority shareholder in the Premiership, and a resolve not to repeat the crises of the past as reasons for their ever-modernising facilities. “With every crisis there’s an opportunity. You cannot waste a crisis,” Wray told City A.M., referencing Saracens’ demotion for breaching salary cap rules. “We spent a long time looking at ourselves thinking ‘right, how can we come out of this three times stronger?’. “For us it’s not a vanity project, you’ve got to think out of the box to generate new revenue streams. “All we’re looking at now is how we get financially sustainable, you’ve got to think about required investment and annual repeatables.”

Stone X Stadium, nestled between Hendon and Finchley Central tube stations, is now home to Middlesex University students, media company Sportable and other partners. The stadium has become a form of business hub for the area – guaranteeing Saracens precious income away from fluctuating attendances of rugby matches. “We have anchor tenants like Middlesex University, who have taken a 30-year lease with us, so that is valuable,” Wray added.

“We’ve got Sportable in the East Stand and a private school use the [artificial] pitch Monday to Friday for their sports.  “You’ve got to build up these income streams. We know that 15 games of rugby [a year] is not going to make us financially sustainable. “We will have 1,000 students on site, a children’s playground, and a community cafe. It’s about being commercially valuable.”

While other clubs – notably Wasps and Worcester Warriors – are struggling simply to stay afloat, Saracens seem to have found some solutions to the sport’s broken business model.

Their new W Club, which accommodates 40 people at £13,000 a head per season and offers lobsters and table service, is the latest in a line of innovations aimed at diversifying how punters in the local area spend their money.

“We really wanted to create a first in rugby,” Wray said. “We took inspiration from the Long Room at Lord’s and NFL zones. “We went out to America to look at how they do it because they treat sport as an entertainment product, which it should be.”

The W Club allows fans to watch as players walk through the tunnel and out onto the pitch, granting access to some of the biggest stars in the game. Price tag aside, it seems like an attractive prospect.

And rugby, as Wray suggests, is becoming more about the product. Jay-Z’s entertainment company Roc Nation has recently helped to revolutionise the way the United Rugby Championship markets itself, and its president Michael Yormark is one of the consortium who now have a controlling stake in Saracens.

“You’ve always got to think that there’s always someone out there doing it better than you so it is about learning and trying new things,” Wray added. “[You need to] be adventurous, have ambitions to change things because if you stay with the status quo you’re not going to grow, you’re not going to close the gap to break-even and profitability. “Roc Nation have shaken things up, they’ve come in and it is exciting. Traditionalists might not like it but we’ve got to attract a new fan base. “If we don’t do it now, we’re the ones that are going to lose out. Innovation and desire push people to think differently.”

*My reformatting to make it easier to read*

Nothing here is different to Wasps.
Stadium you don't own but lease long term - tick
Seek to diversify income with midweek revenue paying businesses - tick
Onsite cafe - damn it we built a bar
Lots of rich city types willing to pay £13k/season to stand in the tunnel - damn it, that's £500k we're not getting

Nowhere in this article does it say the real reason they are building and growing whilst we are struggling under a mountain of debt, Lucy's daddy and his former co-owning Saffa chums wrote all of Sarries' debt off and continue to bankroll unaffordable team building trips abroad (see Jamie George's interview on BBC Rugby Union Weekly pod season launch episode). I just wish those in the media writing all these "Sarries are great" stories would at least be honest about the source, it's just a bottomless pit of money model. It really wouldn't be sustainable if it was debt on the business to pay for it all.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Cheat To Survive
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 10:59:26 AM »
and a resolve not to repeat the crises of the past as reasons for their ever-modernising facilities. “With every crisis there’s an opportunity. You cannot waste a crisis,” Wray told City A.M., referencing Saracens’ demotion for breaching salary cap rules.
Is that a soaring lack of self awareness or just pee'd off they got caught out?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 11:05:53 AM »
They will never change. Hide everything until found out.
Let me tell you something cucumber

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 11:16:17 AM »
I just wish the media would wake up to this.  National press, TV, Radio all repeatedly trot out this shite about Sarries being sainted for anything and everything and completely ignore the fact that they cheated their way to title after title, something which in itself contributed to the dire financial state that some clubs who endeavour to be genuinely financially sustainable now find themselves in.

Sarries are not the Messiah, they are a very naughty boy!

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 11:26:08 AM »
I really hate this stuff. No recognition of their part in the financial failings of the prem, Their cheating inflated wages that other teams with less well off benefactors tried to keep up with.

Of course their biggest failing as a club is that despite their success and being based in highly populated and affluent area. they are still one of the smaller clubs based on fans/crowds.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 11:40:01 AM »
And still cheating in the meantime, a horrible club

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 11:47:19 AM »
Chronic lack of self awareness. If you totted up the revenue other clubs might have had through semi-finals, finals etc etc it would be a huge sum. They were denied that by Sarries as well as having to match the wage inflation.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 11:51:05 AM »
I do think Wasps would benefit from studying how they do things in the Canadian Football League.

Clubs run on a very similar budget there to the Premiership, with similar sized salary caps. Sides have fewer home games (9-11), get fewer away fans due to the distances involved, and don't own their stadiums. Despite this the matchday experience is so much better than anything the Premiership has to offer. I went to a match in July and loved it; decent entertainment, food/drink and merchandise offerings were overwhelming, especially when compared to the CBS.

Crowds are higher than the Premiership, albeit not as high as you might expect. The match I went to was the season's form team at that point against the reigning champions, on a lovely sunny day, yet only got an attendance of 17,603. The average so far this season is 21,636, and Canada is yet to get to the really cold temperatures of winter.

Financially, the nine sides do record a combined loss, but this is much lower than the Premiership, often around £6.5-13M a year. Whilst not perfect, I do think they're doing things a lot better than the Premiership is right now.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2022, 12:57:14 PM »
Chronic lack of self awareness. If you totted up the revenue other clubs might have had through semi-finals, finals etc etc it would be a huge sum. They were denied that by Sarries as well as having to match the wage inflation.
What I've had to let go - it was getting draining - is talking to Sarries fans who don't "get" why supporters of other Prem teams are still pee'd off with their club and their lack of contrition...

"We've been punished so a line's been drawn" was the usual offer. or, "What are you so bothered about now?" or "You just hate we're so good...."      I just had to avoid such exchanges as the lack of awareness was doing my head in. And it's probably true that aspects of their attitude were invoking my "hate circuits"....Not like I'd remind a Sarries supporters that our largest scores have been against them.....

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2022, 01:07:01 PM »

Unfortunately, the story is not over yet, and usually history is written by the victors.

With so many "other" clubs struggling to survive at the moment and maybe going out business completely, we could arguably end up with a completely restructured league, headed up by those clubs who supposedly had the vision to defend themselves against such financial issues.

At that point, it'll be a select few clubs who survived this financial crisis and who paved the way for the future of rugby.

The finer details will be lost, and the indirect effects of purposely ignoring the salary cap will be ignored

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2022, 01:12:52 PM »
Other than Sarries, Bristol and Bath (I think), who has owners with deep enough pockets?

Not Worcester, Wasps, Tigers (up for sale I hear for more than 2 years now).

I don't imagine Falcons, Gloucester, Exeter, Irish, Northampton or Quins are flush either.

Sale maybe?

So, is that just four teams?

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2022, 02:26:53 PM »
we could arguably end up with a completely restructured league, headed up by those clubs who supposedly had the vision to defend themselves against such financial issues.

And that was my point starting this thread. Rather than as a Salary Cap bashing exercise, it was as a Rich owner bashing exercise. No-one has defended themselves against the financial issues, they are causing them by just outspending everyone else on non-salary cap items. Hence I mention the squad foreign jaunt. I could believe players would move for same money or even marginally less if they were getting pre-season and post-season holidays foreign training camps etc. None of this is paid for by the financial performance of the club, it is funded by Mr. Daddy, Sugar.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2022, 03:07:34 PM »
W Club, eh?

I suppose you may as well adopt one of the names that supporters of other teams use for them.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2022, 03:30:07 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the only one here that reads "diversification of revenue streams" as, "hiding the money and cooking the books".

The Falcon

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2022, 08:22:26 PM »
Is this not at least in a small way relatable to some of the things we've done in the past decade?