Always a Wasp

Author Topic: What can we do help the cause?  (Read 2192 times)

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
What can we do help the cause?
« on: October 15, 2022, 12:55:53 PM »
I'd like to see for sure that Armstrong's bid to buy the club will only happen if the PRL will then allow Wasps to keep their P shares, if as reported this is the case then I'd like to help persuade the PRL that this is what must be done to save our club.

I'm thinking letters, petitions and if it comes to it peaceful demonstrations. It just needs a bit of clarity and organising from someone who knows how to effectively get thousands of peoples views across to the decision makers.

Thoughts?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What can we do help the cause?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 01:05:30 PM »
I'd like to see for sure that Armstrong's bid to buy the club will only happen if the PRL will then allow Wasps to keep their P shares, if as reported this is the case then I'd like to help persuade the PRL that this is what must be done to save our club.

I'm thinking letters, petitions and if it comes to it peaceful demonstrations. It just needs a bit of clarity and organising from someone who knows how to effectively get thousands of peoples views across to the decision makers.

Thoughts?

I suspect the decisions are all already made. That we only find out snippets once it's a done deal. Even the "rumours" that make their way out are from conversations that have already happened.

It might sound pessimistic, but I get the feeling Wasps and Wuss are acceptable collateral damage to the powers that be, and the best thing we can do is make sure the self serving, outdated idiots in charge of rugby don't kill the sport as a whole.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 01:08:24 PM »
Plus 1 . . . . . no,  5

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 01:36:00 PM »
I fear VV is right and it’s a done deal. If anything could change it it would be:

1. BT threaten to pull out. And say they aren’t interested in a 10 team league.

2. Fans from other clubs write to their owners en masse demanding that we be allowed to keep P shares and not relegated.

I don’t see either of those happening.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 02:52:12 PM »
BT will find cancelled subscriptions over the next 12-18 months. The Telegraph did a survey and found that rugby coverage was very high on its readership's interests- more than soccer, for its audience apprently. These are ABC1 viewers, well off comparitively and often males who watch little else where advertisers can get to them. BT offer 12 -18 months contracts, and 25 per month general access. Mine runs out a while away, sadly, but it will go 100% if Wasps do. Those two things are inextricably linked. I do watch soccer, but there is not enough of what I like to justify the money, even below 20 quid. Wasps apprently have the hghest viewing figures, unsurprisingly really given the nomadic nature of the club, play style of the last decade, and the lack of geographical base.

I really do think the "casuals go to see big names" thing is just not true and won't benefit the clubs. At least, the number of "big names" able to put a few extra on who are actual England internationals is about three at any one time. People do not go to see top name tight heads, regardless of how good they are.   

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 03:03:35 PM »
I do not expect any other club in the league to do anything, it is not the nature of the league. There was no mass move to stop multiple teams disappear from the top table when professionalism began, there was no move to help London Welsh. The silence was deafening when Worcester went and so will us.The clubs focus only on themselves, and unless the league is threatened there will be no mass movement, and only then will it be a movement to protect those left standing.

This is why the RFU needs to step in now for the good of the game. The PRL needs to end for the game to survive.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2022, 03:11:57 PM »
It all reminds me of the children's song about the rolling over in bed. It will get lonely at some point.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2022, 03:20:14 PM »
If I get to the point of cancelling BT Sport I’ll probably move to Wessex Internet as they have fibre in the village and by all accounts it’s quite good and a lot cheaper than BT broadband. 

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2022, 03:28:33 PM »
To be frank if Wasps go I’m definitely cancelling my BT sport subscription. 90% of that is because Wasps won’t be on. 10% is because the shenanigans/inflexibility/selfishness shown since we’ve been in trouble has left me with a bitter taste around the game in general.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2022, 03:34:03 PM »
To be frank if Wasps go I’m definitely cancelling my BT sport subscription. 90% of that is because Wasps won’t be on. 10% is because the shenanigans/inflexibility/selfishness shown since we’ve been in trouble has left me with a bitter taste around the game in general.

As I have said before I will do likewise. Even today I am not watching because we taped all the ladies matches - currently watch USA V Japan. Entertaining. Then will be over to watch Sharks V Glasgow followed by Edinburgh.  Wine intake the same so nothing missed (apart from the obvious).
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2022, 07:05:57 PM »
Well we’re still 9th.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2022, 07:19:06 PM »
Well we’re still 9th.

Are we? Didn't see any of that rugby and didn’t look.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2022, 09:19:36 PM »
I cancelled my BT Sport subscription yesterday.

So none of us has the urge to fight for our clubs future? Getting angry on a fans forum isn't going to help anyone, showing that anger en masse to the PRL/RFU/BT SPORT and CVC might just make a difference.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2022, 09:22:30 PM »
Is there any way of getting a message to Rugby Tonight without having to resort to twatter etc. They must be tackling this subject again and need to know some of the feelings. Also the impact it might have on BT.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2022, 09:42:31 PM »
Is there any way of getting a message to Rugby Tonight without having to resort to twatter etc. They must be tackling this subject again and need to know some of the feelings. Also the impact it might have on BT.
Perhaps we need to volunteer as going along as one of their demos as they have no crowds? Still at Lea valley/ Stratford?