Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 2291 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
TRP
« on: October 16, 2022, 07:48:40 AM »
Headline is Wasps to Explore merger with Irish.

Launch to join Quins

Will Rowland favourite to captain Wales

AND those are just the front page stories
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 07:52:21 AM »
Irish owner apparently would sell for £1. Irish not adverse to leaving Brentwood (stupid in my view). Possible shared ground - Plough Lane but only hold 9,125.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 07:59:48 AM »
Excuse my ignorance but I was always bad at maths and geography - where is Plough Lane? 

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 08:00:18 AM »
Surprise surprise Koch spotted at Bath training. Biyi expected to go to France quickly - talking to Racing.

Newcastle Footy Fan saying Ashley will rip the heart out of Wasps - hmm methinks others have already done that!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 08:00:43 AM »
Excuse my ignorance but I was always bad at maths and geography - where is Plough Lane?

The old Wimbledon ground

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 08:02:06 AM »
Article on Malcolm Sinclair - nice read.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 08:03:51 AM »
A merger with Irish has surprised me. If it happens we could take half of their name….No harm in being called London Wasps!  ;)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2022, 08:08:27 AM »
Apologies for disjointed look through TRP.

There are a number of fuller articles on the current overall situation - not much sympathy so far noted.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2022, 08:14:53 AM »
Thanks Neils. The Irish story looks to have no legs to me. Caveated all the way through with “tentative” etc. The Ashley story is basically a Newcastle fans perspective so I’ve discounted that. I dare say the transfer rumours are correct - although their accuracy may be tempered by the fact last week we were reported to be after McGuigan!!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2022, 08:20:09 AM »
Thanks Neils. The Irish story looks to have no legs to me. Caveated all the way through with “tentative” etc. The Ashley story is basically a Newcastle fans perspective so I’ve discounted that. I dare say the transfer rumours are correct - although their accuracy may be tempered by the fact last week we were reported to be after McGuigan!!

Would tend to agree but a small hope is still hope plus he has said he wants rid.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2022, 08:22:22 AM »
Thanks Neils;  Would there  be a decent survival  hope if Wasps moved back to London??  I would be sad to become a long-distance watcher/reader but if that's what it takes so be it.  What matters is Wasps continued existence.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2022, 08:54:59 AM »

Newcastle Footy Fan saying Ashley will rip the heart out of Wasps - hmm methinks others have already done that!

I'm struggling to see the downside of a Mike Ashley ownership right now.

Some say that he hadn't invested in Newcastle United by signing expensive players therefore won't invest in us.
What extra investment is really required in the playing squad beyond being near the cap salary wise?

Others say that he'll strip all assets from the club.
What assets have we really got right now that mean anything?

It's fairly obvious that he has no interest in a rugby club and it'd be about the stadium, but it's a cheap side project for him that may drive some extra sales at sports direct.
Even if he were to put us up for sale in 12 months, is that any worse a position for us to be in?
At least the staff, and players would get paid for another 12 months

MarleyWasp

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2022, 09:03:07 AM »
Some friends and I were chatting yesterday evening and came up with an idea, which if the WRU reduce their number of sides to three as rumoured, could be an option...

Stick two fingers up at the RFU and Premiership Rugby and join the United Rugby Championship.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2022, 09:11:51 AM »
Quote from: Neils link=topic=5716.msg98247
#msg98247 date=1665903618

I'm struggling to see the downside of a Mike Ashley ownership right now.

Some say that he hadn't invested in Newcastle United by signing expensive players therefore won't invest in us.
What extra investment is really required in the playing squad beyond being near the cap salary wise?

Others say that he'll strip all assets from the club.
What assets have we really got right now that mean anything?

It's fairly obvious that he has no interest in a rugby club and it'd be about the stadium, but it's a cheap side project for him that may drive some extra sales at sports direct.
Even if he were to put us up for sale in 12 months, is that any worse a position for us to be in?
At least the staff, and players would get paid for another 12 months
It’s possible Ashley may arrive along with Gary Hoffman. Who is a very genuine guy. Essexwasp on DW also confirmed he is something of a rugby fan even though he’s most heavily linked with CCFC.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2022, 09:13:23 AM »
Speaking as a female I would prefer little or preferably no interaction with a club that took on Paddy Jackson.