Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 'We're all sad, we're all angry, including me' - Stephen Vaughan.  (Read 2207 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Exclusive from Bobby Bridge.

Here's a full transcript of a one-on-one I had with Wasps CEO Stephen Vaughan this afternoon - discussing today's meeting, administration and what happens next

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-exclusive-were-sad-were-25286268

I thought it better to have this in a fresh thread as it might get lost elsewhere. Sorry if people don't agree with me.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 'We're all sad, we're all angry, including me' - Stephen Vaughan.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 06:07:47 PM »
Gives some good insight. 

- HMRC called in the balance on their debt despite a payment plan that was being followed as agreed
- HSBC reneged on financing at the Eleventh Hour
- pre-covid the group had 6 months of breakeven months

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 06:16:04 PM »
He hasn’t held back where he could be open about things.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2022, 06:18:05 PM »
Sounds like any plan to play in the Championship will revolve around the current training ground if I understood this correctly:

"For a playing department perspective, we would want to contract the players who want to be here next season, and we can afford within the refined budget. But in that period if time, clearly they are free to do as they wish. To try and find a deal in the Premiership, the Championship, abroad, knowing that they had contracts to come back to here at Henley ahead of the next year.

AndyL

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 06:39:04 PM »
Sounds like HMRC have completely screwed us. Yes we had debts yes they were big yes a bank has screwed us as well. But if we had a payment plan why act this way.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 06:59:27 PM »
Sounds like any plan to play in the Championship will revolve around the current training ground if I understood this correctly:

"For a playing department perspective, we would want to contract the players who want to be here next season, and we can afford within the refined budget. But in that period if time, clearly they are free to do as they wish. To try and find a deal in the Premiership, the Championship, abroad, knowing that they had contracts to come back to here at Henley ahead of the next year.
Yes. I do wonder whether they had this in mind for a plan C way back then when the place was acquired. It would need a proper clubhouse adding to the buildings, and away team changing rooms etc, plus a decent car park (the current car park isn't big enough for even the players when they train).

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 07:09:07 PM »

Yes. I do wonder whether they had this in mind for a plan C way back then when the place was acquired. It would need a proper clubhouse adding to the buildings, and away team changing rooms etc, plus a decent car park (the current car park isn't big enough for even the players when they train).
I don’t think they could play there but it’s a good base to restart the professional clan. How about a ground share with Oxford United?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2022, 07:09:28 PM »
That reads to me very much like Vaughan places the blame firmly at  Derek's feet.

I'm not sure I like that seeing as he's reportedly £18M out of pocket keeping the club going over the last few years.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2022, 07:10:16 PM »
Perhaps someone with financial knowledge can answer this for me.

We are not the only team to be in debt with HMRC, therefore if we are following a payment plan and then they call the whole debt in why is that? Also why not do this to every club in the Premiership as this would seem the fairest course of action?

BrackenandMacken

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 07:32:40 PM »

We are not the only team to be in debt with HMRC, therefore if we are following a payment plan and then they call the whole debt in why is that? Also why not do this to every club in the Premiership as this would seem the fairest course of action?

It will be one of two things or both. Our bill likely started to be building up earlier than others and secondly it may well be larger.

I strongly believe the rumours of other clubs being close to the wall is that their time with HMRC is also nearly up and in a months time we will have lost two more.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 07:34:04 PM »

If you have dealt with HMRC, you will know they can be quite fickle. They will let you propose a payment plan when what they want is full payment. They will let you make payments in line with that plan. But, you are unlikely to get any formal agreement to the plan in writing. They always reserve the option to simply pursue the debt in full, plus penalties.

I will be most surprised if other clubs aren't in the same boat, and get picked off one at a time with the same treatment. Until all the remaining clubs get the message.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2022, 07:38:47 PM »
The statement is a mix of self preservation and honesty. The aspect I don’t understand is who will be pursuing the ambitions he states about the championship etc. we have no staff

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2022, 07:39:12 PM »
Unsure if this has been posted elsewhere: https://youtu.be/G_HfwlZWtGo

Vaughan expects news this week if any takeover will go through.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2022, 08:01:23 PM »

I suspect that when the bond didn't get refinanced as expected they started getting twitchy.
Further ongoing economic unrest wouldn't have helped either

But also, with worcester going out of business they may have lost out there and didn't want to lose out and time

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2022, 08:11:03 PM »

I suspect that when the bond didn't get refinanced as expected they started getting twitchy.
Further ongoing economic unrest wouldn't have helped either

But also, with worcester going out of business they may have lost out there and didn't want to lose out and time
I think you’re right about the bond refinancing, huge red flag to HMRC.