Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Ex Wasps signing for new clubs  (Read 142866 times)

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Ex Wasps signing for new clubs
« Reply #345 on: December 19, 2022, 09:08:45 AM »
Weren't there some comments from the Sarries players who stayed in the championship about the competition not preparing them for England in tge way the prem would have. Billy iirc.

Wasn't part of the issue the fact they hardly played in the Championship.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 19, 2022, 10:13:23 AM »
All players of West's caliber will want to be playing at the highest level possible because:

1. They want to be paid as much as they can, remember this is their living, they have bills to pay!
2. They want to be selected for their national teams & that won't happen if the play in the Championship, unless they are already a fixture in the national team concerned

To suggests that any player would want to play in the champ " for a rest" is, IMO, ridiculous. The fact West has signed for Ealing is, I expect, more to do with them paying him more than he was being offered elsewhere or perhaps he didn't want to go to France/Japan for personal reasons?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 19, 2022, 10:34:30 AM »
Wasps will be in a very odd position when offering contracts. Agreed, if a player has a lucrative contract with a top level club, and is getting game time, I can't see them 'returning', unless other factors work in our favour. They might have a contract only for the rest of this season. They might have roots in the Midlands and want to move for that reason. There might even be some sentimentality (you never know).

Having said that, if one looked at the squad as it was, clinically, how many of those would the new coaches not want anyway?

There may well be some players without alternative contracts you would want back (like the academy players). Some may have been close to first team selection for next year anyway.

Would the 2023/24 squad be, therefore, a mix of young talent, championship talent and some wiser heads who would have moved 'down' from Premiership to Championship to extend their careers?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 20, 2022, 05:46:47 PM »
Not really the correct thread. Finn Russell signs for Bath for £1 million quid and they let Billy Searle go who would have been paid a huge amount less. Wouldn't be a bad signing for us, if he's prepared to re-join in the Championship?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 20, 2022, 06:14:14 PM »
Not really the correct thread. Finn Russell signs for Bath for £1 million quid and they let Billy Searle go who would have been paid a huge amount less. Wouldn't be a bad signing for us, if he's prepared to re-join in the Championship?

But, hasn't he spent a lot of time injured? I am not sure we can afford to take risks like that.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 20, 2022, 08:42:23 PM »
Injuries aside,  has he improved since he played with us?  I seem to recall that he wasn't a total success.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 21, 2022, 10:39:03 AM »
Got a text yesterday from an old Welsh mate of mine. Reads "Was at Rodney Parade Sat. An old Waspie rolled up. Looked good and you had to wonder at his paucity of caps. Dreigiau 21 Pau 27 Dan Robson the git!"
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 21, 2022, 02:54:03 PM »
IMO Billy Searle would actually be the kind of signing Wasps should be looking for. Prem experience but probably never going to be prem level. Would probably be happy earning a wage in the Championship.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 21, 2022, 03:30:31 PM »
IMO Billy Searle would actually be the kind of signing Wasps should be looking for. Prem experience but probably never going to be prem level. Would probably be happy earning a wage in the Championship.

I thought he would be ideal. But he is a bit prone to injury.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 21, 2022, 03:38:38 PM »
Searle was Schrodinger's 10....both massively underrated and massively overrated at the sane time.
Very decent player in my book.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 22, 2022, 07:16:14 PM »
Kieran Curran signed for Bedford Blues until the end of the season.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 23, 2022, 02:07:11 PM »
Of course it still hurts but I read that Tom has been doing very well in France.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 23, 2022, 02:11:13 PM »
Lucky old Bordeaux

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 23, 2022, 03:53:00 PM »
Of course it still hurts but I read that Tom has been doing very well in France.

I'm happy for Tom, it hurts its not with us but rather he do well in france than another team in the Prem

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 24, 2022, 09:56:38 AM »
Dan Robson had a good game for Pau last night. 3 try assists in a 22-22 draw with Bayonne.