Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Ex Wasps signing for new clubs  (Read 142974 times)

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Ex Wasps signing for new clubs
« Reply #390 on: January 03, 2023, 11:03:36 AM »
Presumably Owen and Mauro are "Marquee" so outside of the cap?

.....or would that be the Vunipola brothers?

.....or Jamie George and Alex Goode?

I presume they are still allowed 2 "Marquee's" as they would be historical and before the "cuts"?

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 03, 2023, 11:24:20 AM »
Presumably Owen and Mauro are "Marquee" so outside of the cap?

.....or would that be the Vunipola brothers?

.....or Jamie George and Alex Goode?

I presume they are still allowed 2 "Marquee's" as they would be historical and before the "cuts"?

I don't know who would be the marquee player but I don't think you've ever been allowed to name two EQPs in your marquee slots. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it used to be one EQP and one non-EQP. Now, I think it's one EQP and one non-EQP who's coming from outside the Prem (i.e. never played in the Prem prior to signing for a Prem club). So, you will always have had to count either Farrell's or Itoje's salary towards the cap (depending on which player is named as the marquee).

Quick look on the Saracen's website (yes, I feel dirty now), they have a squad of 41. With a salary cap of £5m and excluding the £1.7m from Farrell and Itoje gives an average of £84,615 per player for the remaining 39. Daly left Wasps for more than what he was being paid at Wasps, so that makes him on at least £500k and you'd imagine the other senior international members on roughly similar. Assuming they are sticking to the cap (they can't be surely), then the junior members of the squad will be getting paid peanuts.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 03, 2023, 11:51:00 AM »
There are credits for EQP and players through the academy I believe, just to complicate the accounting.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 03, 2023, 01:19:11 PM »
I also don't think Daly is on £500k+

He was rumoured to be around £300k with us.  Dallaglio always said it wasn't less that Wasps were offering.  Mind you, the overall point is valid, although I don't think they have two marquees - I thought it was only down to 1 this season (but was2x last season as part of the transition period?

But call it £800k for Itoje with Farrell as the Marquee.  That's £4.2m + EPS and Academy Credits.  Academy is maxed at £600k and EPS is £80k per squad player.  There's 5 at the moment I think (2x Vunipola, Itoje, George and Faz?) so that's another £400k making it £5.2m + 1x marque.

£5.2m split across the remaining 40 players = £130k per player.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 03, 2023, 01:52:17 PM »

He was rumoured to be around £300k with us.  Dallaglio always said it wasn't less that Wasps were offering.  Mind you, the overall point is valid, although I don't think they have two marquees - I thought it was only down to 1 this season (but was2x last season as part of the transition period?

But call it £800k for Itoje with Farrell as the Marquee.  That's £4.2m + EPS and Academy Credits.  Academy is maxed at £600k and EPS is £80k per squad player.  There's 5 at the moment I think (2x Vunipola, Itoje, George and Faz?) so that's another £400k making it £5.2m + 1x marque.

Clubs could hold on to 2 No Marquees IF they renewed contracts before the date the change was enacted, Most clubs did this if they had the funds.

Dai stated that Daly left for considerably more money.
Let me tell you something cucumber

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 03, 2023, 02:39:14 PM »

Clubs could hold on to 2 No Marquees IF they renewed contracts before the date the change was enacted, Most clubs did this if they had the funds.

I understood Daly left for more than he was on but less than Wasps were offering.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 03, 2023, 02:45:41 PM »

I understood Daly left for more than he was on but less than Wasps were offering.

Dai said they couldn't match the offer made to him financially (maybe it included coffee shops?)
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 03, 2023, 03:31:22 PM »
Assume you can take Itoje and Farrell out. You’ve still got to accommodate Vunipola x 2, Daly, Malins, Tompkins, Lozowski, Maitland, Goode, Van Zyl, Tizard, Earl, George, Isiekwe, Lewington and Wray. If you average those out at say £240k each that gets you to £3.6m leaving £1.4m to be split between the remaining 26 players from the 41 man squad giving them £54k each. Bear in mind in that 26 you’ll find names such as Mawi, McFarland, Taylor, Clarey, Christie, Dan, Woolstencroft, Bello, Morris and Segun and it’s a difficult one to fathom. Leaving aside internationals by my calcs their squad has 8? Lions in it.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 03, 2023, 05:12:25 PM »
Have they changed the rules on marquees?
It 7sed to be 1x home grown player plus 1x hired from outside the premiership (to stop anyone using the marquee place to fund a bidding war between premiership clubs)

Unless that's changed Saracens can't have both Maro and Owen outside the cap. Either way it's laughable to think their squad is legal (yet again) but the journalists with their noses in the Sarries trough are all too busy writing puff articles to do their job and actually ask some hard questions about the cap

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 03, 2023, 06:18:16 PM »
Have they changed the rules on marquees?
It 7sed to be 1x home grown player plus 1x hired from outside the premiership (to stop anyone using the marquee place to fund a bidding war between premiership clubs)

Unless that's changed Saracens can't have both Maro and Owen outside the cap. Either way it's laughable to think their squad is legal (yet again) but the journalists with their noses in the Sarries trough are all too busy writing puff articles to do their job and actually ask some hard questions about the cap

Wouldn't it nice if The Cheats are living up to their name (again) and got relegated and the RFU/PRL have their 10 team league.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 04, 2023, 01:24:43 AM »
Along with Tim Cardall, Billy Kucera and Harry Craven have headed to Australia, I assume for rugby purposes - No word on clubs or level yet.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 04, 2023, 12:15:25 PM »
Along with Tim Cardall, Billy Kucera and Harry Craven have headed to Australia, I assume for rugby purposes - No word on clubs or level yet.

Although it must have been hugely stressful, I hope that most of our squad are able to look back at this period having enjoyed the opportunities that have come out of a bad situation; Jacob playing in Italy sounds like it's doing wonders for his confidence, Josh has been scoring for fun for Quins, Jack seems to making the most of playing in a star-studded squad, some of our youngsters heading off to play some Summer/Autumn rugby out in Australia sounds like a lot of fun etc...

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 04, 2023, 03:19:42 PM »
I think this means Stookie is off to Montpelier ???

https://twitter.com/MHR_officiel/status/1610646081678761984

Good luck, Elliott.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 04, 2023, 03:30:52 PM »
Lucky Club.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 04, 2023, 03:32:58 PM »
I think Stooke is actually one of the few players to have improved his marketability by his time at Wasps. He was wasted at Bath playing in a side that just didn't seem to know what it was doing.
Good luck to him in France