Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Ex Wasps signing for new clubs  (Read 142972 times)

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Ex Wasps signing for new clubs
« Reply #420 on: January 11, 2023, 09:42:28 AM »
Sadly we have to remember that its his job and there aren't many other prem clubs looking for a starting 8.

Bath - Barbeary
Bristol - Bradbury
Exeter  - Simmonds
Gloucester - Mercer
Quins - Dombrandt
Tigers - Wiese
Irish - Pearson/Fa'aso'o
Falcons - Fearns/Welch/Chick
Saints - Augustus/Ludlham
Sharks - Du Preez/Curry
Saracens - Billy V/Earl

So realistically most clubs are well stocked... same issue for Jack. Realistically, i'd say maybe 3/4 of those clubs might need an 8 after world cup.
Exeter - to replace Simmonds in the long run
Tigers - In case Wiese leaves
Irish - Build up stock/in case Fa'aso'o doesn't work out
Saracens  - When Billy Leaves post WC

I'd imagine that Falcons couldn't afford Tom or Jack.

So realistically Tom to Sarries makes a lot of sense. Irish would have been my preferred but said the same of Hartley but nothing we can do. A backrow of McFarland, Earl and T Willis for me is a pretty perfect backrow, especially with Itoje and Isiekwe adding weight in the row. Combine that with George, Ricconi and whoever they replace Mako with? pretty strong.

Tom reminds me very much of the skillset of Morgan (Glaws), always carries well, good hands, bit of gas and clever rugby player.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 12, 2023, 09:39:02 AM »
Not quite the same as all the above, but Kinga has been added to Gatland's Wales coaching team

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 12, 2023, 10:25:20 AM »
If Tom Willis can get a contract at what is currently the best club in England,that have a incredible reputation for looking after their players (yes, sometimes not legally) which will give him the best chance of getting England selection & winning silverware then I cannot be anything other than very happy for him. Its his livelihood we are talking about FFS!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 12, 2023, 11:15:43 AM »
Not sure anyone has disputed that in any way at all. Being pleased for Willis but frustrated that a team like Saracens get the benefit of him are not mutually exclusive.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 12, 2023, 11:27:07 AM »
Not sure anyone has disputed that in any way at all. Being pleased for Willis but frustrated that a team like Saracens get the benefit of him are not mutually exclusive.

I would qualify that though...being pleased for Willis is contingent on this being within the Salary Cap rules.  If not, he is colluding, and after the last time I don't think players can plead ignorance anymore.  I struggle to see how the Cheats can have so many internationals on their books and be within the cap.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 12, 2023, 02:14:03 PM »
They knew exactly what they were doing, and 15 yrs ago would even discuss it in the clinic.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 12, 2023, 02:39:02 PM »
I don't think its up to players to police the salary cap, even if they have suspicions that it is being broken, that's for the those who set the cap and manage the league to enforce.

My problem is with the on-field culture and if Tom starts with all that hooping and hollering and getting in the faces of players who have made a mistake he will go down a very long way in my estimations.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 12, 2023, 03:51:32 PM »
How can you say to any individual straw that it was complicit in breaking the camel's back? How was it to know how heavy all the other straws were?

Well, I hope you get what I mean. Each player only knows for certain what they are getting from the deal.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 12, 2023, 04:30:26 PM »
I may be alone on here but I have sympathy for Sarries players where the salary cap is concerned.
They were offered contracts. They are not lawyers, &, given Sarries always said they didn't allow agents (we now know why that was!!), how were they to know what they were being offered was breaking the rules? If they asked the club "are you sure this is OK?" Nigel Wray wasn't going to tell them the truth was her? Who else were they going to ask?
They didn't know what every other player was getting so can't have known whether the club were busting the cap or not.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 12, 2023, 04:49:08 PM »
I may be alone on here but I have sympathy for Sarries players where the salary cap is concerned.
They were offered contracts. They are not lawyers, &, given Sarries always said they didn't allow agents (we now know why that was!!), how were they to know what they were being offered was breaking the rules? If they asked the club "are you sure this is OK?" Nigel Wray wasn't going to tell them the truth was her? Who else were they going to ask?
They didn't know what every other player was getting so can't have known whether the club were busting the cap or not.

If the supporters of all other clubs could see clearly that something was wrong then, I would have thought, the players could have as well.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 12, 2023, 05:10:37 PM »
I am happy that Tom is able to continue his professional career, especially as it looks like he's going to be coming home to England to do that. However, that's where my goodwill ends.

I don't have any sympathy with Saracens players - their on-field behavior is far from what we want to see on a rugby field, there is a player (who I think is also captain) who's regularly in the firing line with his tackling and will seriously injure someone one day (worse than Charlie). We can pat them on the back all we want about how well they look after their players but this cannot be replicated across the league - some of it will be salary cap, some of it will be not having pockets deep enough. What we now have is a Premiership that, on the whole, is not competitive because we have one club who are able to run, what is close to, an international side most weeks. The only other club that can get close to that is Tigers. I almost will for the Premiership to completely collapse so that the likes of Saracens/Exeter (with Baxter's big mouth) are left to themselves.

I don't have proof but it wouldn't surprise me if there was one or two senior players who were more clued in but I'd argue that the majority of the squad won't be involved in whatever Saracens get up to behind closed doors.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 12, 2023, 05:57:05 PM »
Baldpaul - do you not think for example when Itoje was paid a large amount to turn up at a function and then advised he wouldn’t need to attend he wouldn’t think something a bit amiss was going on?

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 12, 2023, 10:03:16 PM »
Anyone but The Cheats. Willis is a nice guy - surely he won’t fit in.

Oh come on. He is a Pro sportsman. He needs to earn money, and they are offering him just that. Are Wasps? No. Will Wasps ever, in his career, be able to afford him? No. Those days are gone. Be happy for the lad.

+1