Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Ex Wasps signing for new clubs  (Read 142949 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Ex Wasps signing for new clubs
« Reply #195 on: November 07, 2022, 04:47:44 PM »
Tom Willis to Bordeaux

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 07, 2022, 04:50:34 PM »
Care to expand Peej?

I don't see how the club is viable without a stadium playing in the second tier. I don't see how we could afford the squad we had, or attract the talent we need, to bounce straight back up as a damaged brand, and if we can't go back up players who have short careers won't spend what's left of them with us.

And I don't see how the covid appeal works when we were losing 170k a week for 6 years.

Look, I'd love to be proven wrong. But I don't see much cause for optimism at the minute.
I don’t think anyone in their wildest dreams thinks we’ll have anything remotely like the squad we have at the moment. It all depends on who is behind the bid to save. If there is enough cash it could work. If not it’s a struggle.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 07, 2022, 05:07:20 PM »
I think that the powers that be will reject the covid appeal as other clubs may try to take advantage of it and restructure their businesses.

On that basis our goose is cooked. The action taken against us seems to be pour encourager les autres. If we are casualties of the RFU trying to maintain and expand its power base then that is a price they are willing to have someone else pay.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 07, 2022, 05:59:40 PM »
I think the Covid appeal would, in a court of law, introduce enough reasonable doubt so that we would not be relegated. What happens after that, I know not.
The thing is - is there anyone left to take it to court?
It would have to be the Administrator or any new owners. I can’t see the Administrator spending the money and I wouldn’t be surprised if the RFU made not taking a court case a condition of being allowed to play in the Championship next season. Making any court case a serious gamble. 

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 07, 2022, 07:18:32 PM »
But that’s not currently in the rules and we know the rules are sacred and unmovable.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 07, 2022, 07:31:34 PM »
Tom Willis to Bordeaux

Sad news but I wish Tom all the best. Bordeaux and French rugby will only improve his game.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 07, 2022, 08:17:28 PM »
Good luck Tom, and come back as soon as you can.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 08, 2022, 12:23:52 AM »
I can see Tom Willis really upping his game there in the Zack Mercer mould. Similar players and both seemingly a long way from the World Cup so why not play out in France for as long as you can getting that experience and hopefully some money.

Have seen the rumours that Marchant is also heading out there to Stade and I say good for him.
Has improved year on year, gained experience in NZ, done everything that’s been asked of him by Eddie, got bigger, quicker, more consistent, stayed injury free, incredible in the air, won the league with Quins and been one of the best 13s around as well as playing on the wing and still can’t get a consistent look in with England - I think whilst Eddie is around players have got to look after number 1 and then reevaluate with whoever comes in next.

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 08, 2022, 06:58:03 AM »
Is there a way to watch the Top 14 (legally) in the UK?

Ta.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 08, 2022, 07:02:08 AM »
I might well be watching Top 14 too  -  as will a few others probably. 

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 08, 2022, 07:34:02 AM »

Ta.

Premier TV now (since 1 November) called Viaplay covers both URC and Top 14. URC they show every game live. Top 14 usually one or two live with full match play in one or two more delayed (and with adverts halfway through a half) plus a highlights show.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 08, 2022, 08:40:13 AM »
Both Stooke and Hougaard will be in the Barbarians FC squad for the game v Bath. The Rec Sunday 20 November, kick-off 14:00.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

BlackAndGoldSunglasses

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 08, 2022, 08:44:55 AM »

Ta.

Premier TV now (since 1 November) called Viaplay covers both URC and Top 14. URC they show every game live. Top 14 usually one or two live with full match play in one or two more delayed (and with adverts halfway through a half) plus a highlights show.

Great stuff, thanks. Will look into it.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 08, 2022, 08:53:37 AM »
Thank you Neil and Ross; much appreciated.  Glad to hear about Stooke; he's such a good player.  Glad he has a home for now, and hopefully it means his leg is/has improved.  Good news!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 08, 2022, 09:13:46 AM »
I don’t think anyone in their wildest dreams thinks we’ll have anything remotely like the squad we have at the moment.

We'll need at least 30 odd players more than we have at the moment whoever they are!