Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TIGERS FREE TICKETS  (Read 3676 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TIGERS FREE TICKETS
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2022, 10:38:01 PM »
Dai was a disaster in his last 18 months. It was obvious that the style in 2017 was not what he wanted, it was what he got with fiver at 10 and a superstar back line, and put up with whilst we were winning.
Had Dai been Shaun, Danny would never have left, they were and are very close, and if there is one pivotal moment on the playing front, it was Danny going, and his replacement by a much more conservative 10. We would never have fallen as far in playing terms.

Couple of things I think need to be elaborated here.

Sopoaga was signed because Cipriani was being difficult in contract negotiations and he's been open with this. Cips wanted to play for England, but wanted Eddie's confirmation on that first. He waited until the end of the season and when picked for SA tour signed with an English club. Meanwhile Dai signed Sopoaga because he was available and genuinely a fantastic fly half, because Cipriani wouldn't commit until end of season. Dai's hand was forced.

And Dai absolutely wanted us to play exciting backs, because we did so before Cips even signed for us! Sopoaga being misused as a direct Cipriani replacement is indicative of Dai's desired play style. Then Umaga replacing Sopoaga further confirms this, because surprise, he played closer to Cipriani than Sops and Dai wanted that.

Listen Dai leaving ended up being good for us at the time (which I was against initially), but he wasn't god awful in his last few seasons. In his final season he was just incredibly inconsistent and felt like he micromanaged too much.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2022, 09:30:10 AM »
Yeah, we all know that it was Danny who buggered us about, not Dai, but the point was Dai and Danny did not see eye to eye, and I think the Wade/Cipriani interview shows that, clearly. Even Dai himself made comments showing his frustration at times that made me wonder how happy he was with his ten going off piste. That was on national TV!

England aside, had it been Shaun and not Dai, Danny may not have left because they are hugely close. Danny has made lots of comments about coaches, and is clearly very complementary about a couple, but I have never heard good words about Dai from him.

We had no choice prior to the move in how we played, we had to play exciting rugby as we had Wade and Varndell on the wings and a relatively mobile back row. We did not have the cash to get top names, and when we did it was not for the cash that they came. Betsen et al were not there for the money. I don't think that was Dai's blueprint, it was necessity, and we did well in managing what we had under Dai.I just think he wanted a more conservative game.

I don't see last few *seasons* as a disaster, far from it, but the last few months were a team going nowhere, heading for a cliff, and SV managed Dai's departure very well, allowing him to leave with full dignity as befits a true club servant.

I still see Cardiff games as the wife is a fan, and wish Dai well. Coincidentally, they have a lot of the same issues we had these past few months. Discipline going to pot in the last quarter, a crummy lineout when in their 22, and a bit of white line fever, with a tendency to bash away phase after phase on their line after a good break.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 09:32:57 AM by westwaleswasp »

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2022, 09:54:56 AM »
Sorry WWW,  can't agree about Dai!  Pre-Lee was not a happy time for many players.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2022, 12:48:18 PM »
Isn't that what I just said? I just made relatively critical comments of Dai's last 18 months, and accused him of being too conservative in what he wants, and of not seeing eye to eye with Danny.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 12:50:33 PM by westwaleswasp »

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2022, 01:37:44 PM »
Yes WWW, you did, and I  completely agree!  I meant it a different way, as in  ... oh dear,  I was told this by a relative not by any player or Admin person ....  he was a bully and used the saying Put into Coventry in it's most unpleasant way,  for maybe a week and sometimes two.  Maybe that resulted in personnel leaving  -  who knows.  I do know of at least one player (a lovely chap) who got the silent treatment for a fortnight.  Sad.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2022, 05:03:56 PM »
Personally think it is a nice gesture and have applied, used to attend some of their big European games and was looking at the Clermont one anyway to meet up with some Tigers friends.

Also back to CBSA to watch Rugby League World Cup game tonight.

I know not everyone was in favour of this but to be fair to Tigers I have received nearly £500 worth of tickets from them today for myself and my family for the 3 games in the package.
Like the discussion on another thread I consider myself on a mutually beneficial short term contract to them with a view to returning.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2022, 07:46:56 AM »
I would actually say that if enough Wasps fans take them up then it will show the rfu and prl that rugby fans will just move next door when clubs go.
Not the message I would like to send.
The more clubs hurt financially without Wasps and Worcs, the more likely we are to see them back. I won't be watching any PRL rugby again in any way shape or form until Wasps are up and running and in with a chance of promotion.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2022, 08:07:07 AM »
Agreed WWW.  I can't bring myself to watch any rugby other than wheelchair.  That's as close as I can get. I could never support another club, tho' I'll probably watch and cheer on the Barbarians as most of them seem to be Wasps.  England v Barbarians =  EAs v Wasps.   

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2022, 08:19:15 AM »
I managed to watch 20 minutes of the Bath v Tigers game. Switched off as the commentary team eulogised over a Bath team including Shilcock, Lawrence, Hill, Annett and Morozov. They were saying things like “have Bath finally clicked”? No, they’ve just got half of someone else’s team now. As soon as my BT subscription runs out I imagine I’ll lose touch with the PRL fairly quickly.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2022, 09:18:26 AM »
Have lost all faith in professional rugby, even internationals. Will not be watching rugby and football on TV for the foreseeable future.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2022, 09:50:31 AM »
Have lost all faith in professional rugby, even internationals. Will not be watching rugby and football on TV for the foreseeable future.

What he said.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2022, 10:24:49 AM »

What he said.

What he said almost twice (still watch URC and Top 14 - anything non PRL and BT)
Let me tell you something cucumber

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2022, 10:37:40 AM »
This is so so sad.  It's not the fault of the game, nor the players who have to make a living, continue their career and provide for their families.  Covid and resulting loss of income (and maybe sloppy accounting, tho' not on our owner's part) are a part of it but imho I would point to sloppy practice and lack of care by the RFU  who don't seem to care about the present state or the future of rugby.  Maybe they have their own  reasons. If so, they need to take a mighty big look at themselves and their contact with and accountability to  the fans, supporters  and grassroot players of rugby  or they (RFU)  will succeed in killing off  the sport we love.  Just my feelings. 

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2022, 10:45:14 AM »
PS   The RFU seem  to think Wasp supporters will wander off to support other clubs, which shows how little the RFU know.  Many Wasp supporters will be lost to rugby for ever.  I would continue supporting Wasps if we continue as a Club in the Championship, but if we die because of the RFU then that's me done for ever.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2022, 10:57:44 AM »
Obviously I am in a minority but I have continued to watch Prem games that are on BT sport. I watched games other than Wasps before & will continue to do so.
It will never be the same without Wasps, I very much doubt I will go to watch any live games and would not pay extra for BT sport if it wasn't already part of my package.

As for transferring my allegiance to another club? Whoever thinks that might happen is delusional.

Personally I hold Wasps & Wasp alone to blame for this, yes PRL, RFU, HMRC, CC Council etc etc could have been more helpful & understanding but at the end of the day, no one else can be to blame IMO.