Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Interesting tweet from Bobby  (Read 4132 times)

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting tweet from Bobby
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2022, 08:51:17 AM »
Great news IF true, having issues believing anything at the moment.

Also does it have to be in Coventry

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2022, 09:26:05 AM »
 :)  Hereford would be good!!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2022, 10:00:00 AM »

If Stephen Vaughan is involved, he's been quoted as saying that this ideal solution is to play at the CBSA

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2022, 10:14:30 AM »

If Stephen Vaughan is involved, he's been quoted as saying that this ideal solution is to play at the CBSA

I just can't see that as even realistic. Lower attendance, from Home and Away fans, would make it totally uneconomic. Seats at Championship games go for half or a third of what they do in the Premiership. An over 60 concession season ticket typically costs less than £15 per game. After ticket company costs, a good gate will not bring in much more than £40k-£50k. I doubt you can rent the CBSA for that, plus you surrender all food and drink sales to the CBSA owners.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2022, 10:25:21 AM »
I suspect Stephen Vaughan was a high earner before being made redundant so he will be looking for employment asap. Little or no chance that a reformed Wasps club could afford him and he would want to hang around.

Very much doubt Wasps will be playing at the CBS again and because our city is not big enough to accommodate two championship clubs I suspect they will relocate again.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2022, 11:46:40 AM »

I just can't see that as even realistic. Lower attendance, from Home and Away fans, would make it totally uneconomic. Seats at Championship games go for half or a third of what they do in the Premiership. An over 60 concession season ticket typically costs less than £15 per game. After ticket company costs, a good gate will not bring in much more than £40k-£50k. I doubt you can rent the CBSA for that, plus you surrender all food and drink sales to the CBSA owners.

I completely agree. I don't see how it's at all possible (unless he knows who is planning on buying the CBS).

All I was saying is that he's said that ideally they'll be playing the if a club did exist, which suggests that he's planning on staying in the conventry area

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2022, 12:04:57 PM »
No matter what anyone might think of Vaughan he is the only one striking a positive note this week despite he himself being sacked. I'll take that for a week or two. Mind you it's the faint hope that destroys you.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2022, 12:08:53 PM »
He’s the only one in the leadership echelon saying anything. I suppose with the CBS it depends on the vision of any new owner. If they are eyeing a prem return capacity isn’t an issue. Maybe it is known who wants the stadium and they want two tenants. Who knows? Had my letter from FRP advisory today as a creditor - makes it very real.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2022, 12:12:21 PM »
No matter what anyone might think of Vaughan he is the only one striking a positive note this week despite he himself being sacked. I'll take that for a week or two. Mind you it's the faint hope that destroys you.

I don't feel that having some feint hope of Vaughan being involved in some kind of Resurrection of the club means that we're pinning blame on Derek or anyone else.

I'm still grateful to Derek that we've had this 8 year ride, even though it absolutely didn't work out the way it was planned

At the moment though the only hope / positive voice is that of Stephen Vaughan

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2022, 12:33:02 PM »

I completely agree. I don't see how it's at all possible (unless he knows who is planning on buying the CBS).

All I was saying is that he's said that ideally they'll be playing the if a club did exist, which suggests that he's planning on staying in the conventry area

I understand that, but Coventry itself is a non-starter. It has what it needs in terms of rugby.

Wasps would need to find a soccer ground that has plenty of room, a pitch currently unconstrained by stands on at least three sides, and which would benefit from investment.

Wasps will not find a stadium that will have us at a price we can afford.

We cannot share with another rugby club.

It has to already have planning consent for use as a sports ground.

It has to be big enough for expansion.

Needs to be close enough to fast transport to London (to gain visits from the vast number of Wasps fans in London), but cheap enough that can be afforded.

It needs to be somewhere a championship/premiership club is not, but with access to schools who play rugby.

Looking at logistics alone you begin to see the problem. It was the same problem Wasps faced when having to leave High Wycombe, but they aimed too high (because of the Premiership need for a big stadium), and, like Icarus, they plunged to their death.

Wasps had the same problem trying to find a training ground, but resolved that just in time to see the team venture fail. So, now that training ground anchors any decision.

They need a ground on the transport corridor that is the Chiltern railway line and the M40 from London towards Henley in Arden. So, start circling the stations on the Chiltern line, but, for cost of land reasons, start north of Oxford. Now find M40 junctions that are close to those railway stations. Well, the railway stations to choose from are Banbury, Leamington, Warwick and Warwick Parkway. But, if you factor in the need for a local coach or walk to a ground, and a motorway junction and/or major road. You are left with Warwick Parkway and J15 of the M40, about 15 minutes drive from the EPIC centre in Henley.

The EPIC centre is not a practical medium term game day solution, but I guess at a push would do for a while.

Anyway, all I am doing is applying dispassionate logistics/distribution and financial logic to a problem, cutting through and ignoring the impractical rhetoric coming from Stephen Vaughan.

Wherever Wasps end up, it would have to be with the agreement of an existing sports club/ground.

As most of you will guess, I know my suggested area very well, having lived there for many years (decades).

There is only one site I can think of, but I have no idea who owns it, whether those two organisations that use it own it or rent it, and whether they would be open to an approach. It is Budbroke to the West of Warwick, maybe a hundred yards from new houses being built in Hampton on the Hill (which itself has Warwick Parkway to the North East and the M40 to the South).

Not a lot of choices. The women's team has already gone back down south, but what about the netball team? I guess they will end up at Warwick Uni.

Whatever, it will still need someone with money, and we will not bounce back to the Premiership. We have lost our team and coaches (not that I much lament the latter, despite how tough it will be for them and their families). I have no problem with Wasps not being in the Premiership, now or for the next few years. I think the Premiership is a broken model. there are not sufficient uber rich people around to keep it afloat.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 02:22:36 PM by NellyWellyWaspy »

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2022, 01:57:30 PM »
I’m sorry but I will be really angry if we stay in Coventry, I can’t stand the place, I will never watch wasps again in Coventry, that’s if I can every watch wasps again

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2022, 04:04:39 PM »
I’m sorry but I will be really angry if we stay in Coventry, I can’t stand the place, I will never watch wasps again in Coventry, that’s if I can every watch wasps again

That's kinda my way of thinking right now too.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2022, 04:18:43 PM »

At £40-50k per match, that would mean CCFC are paying over a million a year to rent the stadium, a number they complained about and why they ran off to Northampton, so I very much doubt that is the case. Weren't they paying something like £150k at one point?

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2022, 05:40:46 PM »
Just read something on Cov telegraph that says Ccfc are paying £600,000 annually to use arena . Not sure if that includes any extra games (cup etc) but sounds like a set fee. So works out at 25k to 30k a game.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2022, 06:06:31 PM »
I presume the rest of the money will come from food and beverage takings.