Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Abby Dow  (Read 1220 times)

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Abby Dow
« on: November 05, 2022, 12:50:14 PM »
I suspect most will have seen her second try today [the pass provided by a former Wasps player who had ran out from behind her own try line]. The recovery from a broken tibia on April 9th which needed ORIF is a near miracle.

The women's rugby SF's were both epic in their own way. For Abby to have made such a major mark on the game, and for everyone to have believed that she could get back to elite performance within that time frame - just incredible.

She has so much power within a sprinters frame.

An interesting final awaits. My money is on NZ.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Abby Dow
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 01:03:32 PM »
Abby Wow!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 01:17:58 PM »
Great try. Awful tackle as she touched down.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 01:36:27 PM »
Great try. Awful tackle as she touched down.

Unnecessary
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 01:51:23 PM »
Great to see after that injury.

That Canadian lass who scored their 1st try has some gas was well.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 04:56:48 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed watching England semifinal. Could have gone either way.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 10:12:10 AM »
Great game, thought she might have passed to Ellie Kildunne, also a former wasp, who was really matching her for speed, but she backed herself and was a great try.

30 straight wins or something too right?
I’d definitely fancy us against NZ

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 12:44:07 PM »
Also worth remembering that the move was made by Claudia McDonald (another ex Wasp) who was told earlier in the year she would never play again due to a neck issue.

For the final there are 5 current or ex Wasps in the team which shows how strong Wasps were just a year or so ago.
I do wonder whether the Wasps Womens squad saw the issues that have engulfed the men coming a bit earlier, which would explain the best players & the coach leaving when they got good offers over the last year or so....

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2022, 02:10:11 PM »
Great game, thought she might have passed to Ellie Kildunne, also a former wasp, who was really matching her for speed, but she backed herself and was a great try.

Firstly, that was a simply superb try and was genuinely a team effort even if Claudia McDonald and Abby got the lions share of the credit. The defensive shift from the forwards to counter-ruck and turn over possession in what was a dangerous attack from Canada, then the vision and sheer nerve to spin the ball wide behind our goal line, Claudia's astonishing, jinking run and Abby's pace and delightful hand-off was one of the best moves I've seen on a rugby pitch for some time.

Must admit that I was screaming for Abby to pass to Kildunne when it looked like the defence was closing her down but then her pace got her clear. Kildunne really should have cut inside a little more to keep the defence guessing but academic really.

Finally, as many, many people have said, restart should have been a penalty to England for the needless, petulant and dangerous way the Canadian winger went knee first into Abby after she had grounded the ball. You see it a lot and it doesn't get penalised often enough for my liking, really cowardly.