Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Playing and coaching staff rumours  (Read 8832 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Playing and coaching staff rumours
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2022, 10:32:55 PM »
It’s going to be a competitive league (probably more competitive than the Prem) I assume Wuss will be there and looking at the McGuigan mid year transfer I wouldn’t be surprised to see Falcons in there as well leaving 10 in the Prem. Some good Champ teams already in situ. Looking forward to it.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2022, 03:17:50 AM »
Does anyone have any knowledge on how the Championship generally works in terms of wages etc.
I know Ealing are the only fully professional club and your Jonah Holmes’ etc earn pretty well but how much does your average squad player at a Doncaster or a Jersey earn?

If semi professional are they just paid match fees, do some work other jobs, is it only training a few days a week?

I think we need to get our expectations in line of how much money this rebranded wasps have before we start thinking whether an available Tom West, Tim Cardall, Zack Kibirige etc would be anywhere remotely affordable

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2022, 08:01:40 AM »
Does anyone have any knowledge on how the Championship generally works in terms of wages etc.
I know Ealing are the only fully professional club and your Jonah Holmes’ etc earn pretty well but how much does your average squad player at a Doncaster or a Jersey earn?

If semi professional are they just paid match fees, do some work other jobs, is it only training a few days a week?

I think we need to get our expectations in line of how much money this rebranded wasps have before we start thinking whether an available Tom West, Tim Cardall, Zack Kibirige etc would be anywhere remotely affordable

There's an article in the Yorkshire post from a couple of years ago saying that Carnegie had a wage bill rumoured to be £2.3m, but they were planning to trim it to £650k for the following year due to their financial issues.
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/yorkshire-carnegie-players-could-boycott-doncaster-knights-derby-over-pay-fears-633667

So, if that was true, it may suggest that £2m+ is too high a salary bill to maintain financial stability, and presumably £650k is at the lower end of what's possible.

As you say though, it's hard to know what the more semi-pro clubs are doing

« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 08:08:58 AM by wasps »

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2022, 08:09:41 AM »
Another article here from 2018 that says £30-40k would be for the highest paid player in the squad

https://www.talkingrugbyunion.co.uk/what-to-do-about-championship-rugby-/22158.htm

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2022, 08:43:47 AM »
The stated goal is to get back to the Premiership, so I think we have to assume there is the money there to pay for a half decent squad. Add in the ground rental, the admin staff, the training centre, the academy.

And then we have the whole buying back our P Share thing.

If I had to guess I'd say £20M is a low end estimate for what it's gonna cost to get us there.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

craigymace4

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2022, 10:11:28 AM »
Morning everyone.. been a long time reader of this forum, first post!

Still riding the excitement wave of yesterdays announcement. Appreciate there is some way to go yet but certainly be interesting to see who we can cobble together for a squad. Wouldnt mind seeing Gopps and Smashley taking the coaching reigns either as some have touted.

Just a thought though... with the proposed changes to the league structure in 24/25 there might not be a need to buy a P share so to speak which may free up a bit of cash to pay some of the bigger names. Plus we've heard of a lot of the guys wanting to continue with the club if it survived, so we might get a few nice surprises of those who would take a pay cut to pull on the black and gold again. It'll be an interesting couple of weeks/months ahead.

One thing for sure is its nice to be able to have these discussions again.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2022, 12:50:31 AM »
Spend some cash. Get promotion. Take up that huge good will a few of the prospects we had still have towatds the club because in five to ten years they will be ex players. Just one big ish name signing and a few academy players would do.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2022, 08:04:54 AM »
I’d guess in the coming months wasps will regularly appear in the rumours/made up pages of TRP by Fissler.
Just read that Andy Robinson has just resigned from his post at Romania, surprised he hasn’t put that one together yet.😂

W2APS

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2022, 04:39:55 PM »
I queried the Cipriani rumour with a member of the new Legends consortium when it appeared and was assured that said former player would more likely be coming back from retirement than Cips had been signed.

Wether that is likely to change I don't know. But the rumour at the time was purely that.

Ipswichwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2022, 05:24:22 PM »
We may get former players interested who have homes in the Coventry area. We also need to get a team going soon if possible to build cohesion and fitness.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2022, 05:39:06 PM »
They can’t get a squad together until the season ends and then as I see it, it’s going to be be mostly players out of contract who couldn’t find another club because I can’t see many turning a contract down now on the off chance Wasps offer them one later.

ColonelWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2022, 05:47:31 PM »
Whilst I wouldn't be against Lee returning if he wanted to and that would assist with some 'former' players returning, the suggestions regarding Neil Fowkes might be good with his Championship experience?
Not sure if Richard Blaze has a new position as yet either?
However, I was at the Coventry v Richmond game yesterday and the 2 injured Coventry players who did the pre match Q & A were absolutely "gushing" about the ability and quality that Ed Robinson has added as a coach since he joined them a few weeks ago.
I think he was also well liked by the Wasps lads as well and seemed to be a well-liked member of the backroom staff.
Players-wise I think it will depend on what the overall top divisions structure looks like and how likely we may be to step straight back into the Prem given Budgets etc?
The EPIC is a big draw and I'd love to see some of the recent Academy prospects come back and maybe the likes of Cruse, Harris, Morris, Curran, Spink, Wusty, West, Millar Mills, Crossdale, Frosty, radon Wood, Hartley, Nearchou maybe even Jacob?
Interesting times? :)

MartinB - Radnage Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2022, 11:24:59 PM »
I would love to see Tom Willis back! Jack would be highly unlikely as I think Toulouse will want to keep him and he will be beyong the reach of a Championship club.  The other players I would love to realistically see back are Tim Cardall and Eliott Stooke.
As mentioned above, how wonderful to even be having these conversations again!

I will be at the first game next season for sure!!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2022, 07:32:23 AM »
Martin B ..........  Yes yes!  My top  3 as well.  Both Tom and Elliot would be (have been) excellent Captains, and top  players.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2022, 07:39:31 AM »
Add Charlie Atkinson to that trio.