Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Who next?  (Read 2466 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Who next?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2022, 10:02:31 AM »
WestExe Business Park was the front of shirt sponsor for Exeter's televised Euro game this weekend. Made me look it up to see if anything had been built yet, not according to their website.

Sponsored by a grass field, hmmmm, great model.
Without defending this instance, there's nothing unusual in developments marketing themselves before anything is built. The plan is to sign up tenants before building.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2022, 10:03:23 AM »
And when Tony Rowe is no.longer with us, there won't be any more green fields lining up to sponsor them. Like WW post Cecil, once the sugar daddy is gone, trouble lies ahead.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2022, 10:09:45 AM »
WestExe Business Park was the front of shirt sponsor for Exeter's televised Euro game this weekend. Made me look it up to see if anything had been built yet, not according to their website.

Sponsored by a grass field, hmmmm, great model.
Without defending this instance, there's nothing unusual in developments marketing themselves before anything is built. The plan is to sign up tenants before building.

Agreed, the issue with this one is according to companies house it's a Dormant company with £2 in the bank.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2022, 10:27:04 AM »
Not to mention that Rowe essentially sold his hotel to himself to raise more money not long ago.

Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

MarleyWasp

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2022, 10:40:46 AM »
Thing is, if it does come down to 6 clubs, that won't work. Those rich sugar daddies will push for a Euro league, the Irish will tell them to feck off, the  Welsh will tell them dim chance, boyo (cos we are broke) the French will say 'non'. That will be it. The cancerous Wray (ex Sarries, honestly), et al, will have no one to play with.

I think there's a degree of inevitability about a European League, and when it does I say good luck to Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Gloucester, Harlequins, Leicester, Northampton and Saracens. Let the rest of us form a 16 team domestic semi-pro but financially viable league where clubs are treated with dignity and respect and let the others go and bankrupt themselves into oblivion chasing a pipe dream that Rugby will be bigger than football in the UK.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2022, 12:14:23 PM »
I think the £25k per game paid to England players is a problem. It is out of proportion to the salaries that a financially continent club should be paying, so it becomes 'inflationary'.
IMO.

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2022, 02:06:55 PM »
I'm hoping that the WestExe field is currently occupied by a bull, That would beautifully expose the fact that the whole thing is built on bullshit!

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2022, 07:57:56 PM »
Thing is, if it does come down to 6 clubs, that won't work. Those rich sugar daddies will push for a Euro league, the Irish will tell them to feck off, the  Welsh will tell them dim chance, boyo (cos we are broke) the French will say 'non'. That will be it. The cancerous Wray (ex Sarries, honestly), et al, will have no one to play with.

I think there's a degree of inevitability about a European League, and when it does I say good luck to Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Gloucester, Harlequins, Leicester, Northampton and Saracens. Let the rest of us form a 16 team domestic semi-pro but financially viable league where clubs are treated with dignity and respect and let the others go and bankrupt themselves into oblivion chasing a pipe dream that Rugby will be bigger than football in the UK.

The French don't want it, they are all about the French vs French matches, having taken Europe often less seriously than the rest. The Irish don't want to disrupt their winning model, and there is no Euro league without either.