Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Glaws vs Sarries  (Read 4417 times)

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Glaws vs Sarries
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2023, 12:20:40 PM »
Since when have international matches not been included, or is it just because the squad hasn’t been announced yet so can’t assume he is in it.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2023, 12:30:25 PM »
It's not that international matches are not being included, just, conveniently, that Sarries have 2 European matches plus one in the Prem between now and the start of the 6N, so a 3 week ban would mean him missing those and surprise, surprise, being available for England the following week.  Exactly as expected.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2023, 12:46:44 PM »
O/P... Nelly -  Happy birthday to you Sir!  Told you that you were tough as old boots. Many happy returns. And lots and lots of them.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2023, 01:56:16 PM »
It's not that international matches are not being included, just, conveniently, that Sarries have 2 European matches plus one in the Prem between now and the start of the 6N, so a 3 week ban would mean him missing those and surprise, surprise, being available for England the following week.  Exactly as expected.

Ok, I looked at the Sarries site and the 4th match which should be dropped if he does tackle school was a sarries match not the 1st 6N game

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2023, 03:02:58 PM »
From an article in The Telegraph about the Farrell ban:

In his evidence, Farrell explained that he believed the tackle had been through the chest area and a fair tackle, and that it would have felt different had he put the force through the chin. Once Farrell returned to the team bus and reviewed clips of the incident, he realised contact was made with the chin and contacted Clement to apologise.

The panel determined that "the contact with the head or chin was not intentional but instead reckless", while adding: "The panel accepts the player believed he had primarily struck his opponents chest. The footage, in our view, demonstrates he was wrong.

Looking at the clip, he didn’t even bother to look where he was aiming at.  Nor attempts to wrap either hand.  So even if he had of hit the chest area, which he conveniently claims to have done, he hasn't wrapped so it isn't a legal attempt to tackle.  So how it can be argued that he thought it was a fair tackle seems nuts...

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2023, 03:06:21 PM »
Owen Farrell: England captain set to be clear for Six Nations opener despite ban - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64233595
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2023, 03:12:48 PM »
From an article in The Telegraph about the Farrell ban:

.....  So how it can be argued that he thought it was a fair tackle seems nuts...
Easy - 1.  He is Owen Feral and so has a cloak of invisibility that protects him against sanction
2.  He plays for the cheats and therefore not subject to the same rules, regulations and arguments that apply to other teams
3.  Most importantly, Borthwick wants him in the England team.

Thanks to the corrupt RFU he was always going to be let off.  I hope that those bringing the lawsuits against the RFU use these decisions to show that head injuries are of little consequence when placed against the need for the Cheats and England to have a player available.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2023, 03:28:13 PM »
Nice to see we are still adhering to the rules despite the damage it does to teams.

Apart from the Cheats obviously...
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2023, 03:58:30 PM »
reckless
adjective
UK  /ˈrek.ləs/ US  /ˈrek.ləs/

doing something dangerous and not worrying about the risks and the possible results:

A senior player and England captain who is reckless is probably more dangerous than someone who had done that deliberately.

At least the player who has done it deliberately can show remorse and change because they were in control of the situation, whereas I doubt a senior player who's got to that point can, as demonstrated by his not learning from the last time when he nearly took Charlies head off.

A young player being reckless could benefit from the coaching/tackling world rugby intervention course, he obviously didn't so what's the point of him doing another?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2023, 04:01:47 PM »
O/P... Nelly -  Happy birthday to you Sir!  Told you that you were tough as old boots. Many happy returns. And lots and lots of them.

64. Never thought I would make it. I actually feel quite chipper today, which is not so often. Is it yours as well today? Someone on here for sure.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2023, 06:50:55 PM »
Happy Birthday NWW and Wonky? In terms of Farrell I’m not sure what’s more damning. The fact that the ban miraculously sees Farrell available for the 6N or the absolute certainty that everyone had that this is what they’d do.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2023, 07:11:27 PM »
CHRIS FOY in The Daily Mail:
Owen Farrell's four-week ban proves rugby's judicial system is not fit for purpose and needs reforming - the reduction of weeks for good conduct and admission of guilt is a joke and an outdated relic of the amateur era

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-11623341/Owen-Farrells-four-week-ban-shows-rugbys-judicial-isnt-fit-purpose-needs-reforming.html

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2023, 08:02:02 AM »
Owen Farrell's four-week ban proves rugby's judicial system is not fit for purpose and needs reforming - the reduction of weeks for good conduct and admission of guilt is a joke and an outdated relic of the amateur era

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-11623341/Owen-Farrells-four-week-ban-shows-rugbys-judicial-isnt-fit-purpose-needs-reforming.html

He's not wrong. I hadn't seen the bit in the ruling that said it had no effect on the match, it very obviously did!

The time off for good behaviour, references from chariteeees, admitting they had done it and saying sorry, even through gritted teeth, is completely farcical. Also getting a week off for tackle school, again I agree with Chris Foy, that should be part of their punishmant anyway.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2023, 09:36:57 AM »
If you have 5 mins - this link from 2021 shows some of Farrells' "greatest hits"

I was particularly disgusted by the hit on the Doncaster player..... (towards the bottom) as well as on Charlie. And the one on Dan wasn't great. He knows he's done something as there's a tendency towards trying to make out he's hurt...

It's not like this is a one off or accidental issue

https://www.rugbyworld.com/tournaments/british-irish-lions/owen-farrells-tackle-technique-128834

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2023, 10:44:25 AM »

He's not wrong. I hadn't seen the bit in the ruling that said it had no effect on the match, it very obviously did!

The time off for good behaviour, references from chariteeees, admitting they had done it and saying sorry, even through gritted teeth, is completely farcical. Also getting a week off for tackle school, again I agree with Chris Foy, that should be part of their punishmant anyway.
Since when did that become a thing? I thought rugby was all about player safety?